Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-10-2024, 03:28 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How's this for one heck of a messy chapter header?

I think this is a Vellum made messterpiece. It's one heck of a mess of code. This is why Vellum needs to go away forever.

Code:
  <div id="chapter-37" class="element-bodymatter" role="doc-chapter" epub:type="chapter">
    <div class="heading heading-container-single heading-size-full heading-format-full heading-without-image">
      <div class="heading-contents">
        <div class="title-subtitle-block">
          <div class="element-number-block">
            <div class="element-number case-upper">THIRTY-SEVEN</div>
          </div>
          <div class="title-block">
            <h1 class="element-title case-upper">DANNER</h1>
          </div>
          <h2 class="element-subtitle case-upper">FEBRUARY 1943</h2>
        </div>
      </div>
    </div>
    <div class="text" id="chapter-37-text">
      <div class="alignment-block">
        <div class="text-block">
        <p class="alignment-block-content alignment-block-content-center">Dachau, Germany</p>
      </div>
      </div>
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 04:10 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
How does this affect those who do not spend their reading time looking at the code? Does it make the ebook unreadable for them? Would they notice any difference if you cleaned up and minimalized the code?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2024, 04:20 PM   #3
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yea, I agree with JSWolf. It's excessive. Reminds me of this little beauty (see image)

@DNSB who cares. It's a little post about excessive code. Roll with it. Maybe you don't feel the need to look at stuff like this and immediately want to clean it up, others like me get caught up in some OCD thing and dive right in. I find it somewhat cathartic.

Attachment 195405
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 04:41 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
@DNSB, in this case (please, don't repeat this...), I agree with JSWolf. It's something I see a lot in the books (I don't read the code but I like to clean it and set it as I like), and I simplify inmediately.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 07:46 PM   #5
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That is inevitable. HTML was designed for man pages, not for books, so it has no concept of a heading.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2024, 04:13 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Heh. As long as it looks the way I want on my ereader, I don't care how messy the code is. I have far too many books to bother with simplifying the code just for simplicity's sake; if I did that, I would have no time to read at all. I just fix anything that wouldn't look the way I want, and leave the rest alone. Too many books and not enough time. YMMV, of course.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 05:00 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
How does this affect those who do not spend their reading time looking at the code? Does it make the ebook unreadable for them? Would they notice any difference if you cleaned up and minimalized the code?
There are a number of us on MR who do dive into the eBook code, So those of us who do would see that mess.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:03 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
That is inevitable. HTML was designed for man pages, not for books, so it has no concept of a heading.
For a simple one line chapter header, I use <h2> and I have <h2> styled as I want. I do make changes if it's appropriate for the eBook.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:08 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
@DNSB, in this case (please, don't repeat this...), I agree with JSWolf. It's something I see a lot in the books (I don't read the code but I like to clean it and set it as I like), and I simplify inmediately.
I would clean up that mess of divs as well and be left with just three lines for the chapter headers formatted to what I like.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:50 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally, I would open the book in Sigil and run my collection of saved searches and plugins—the majority of my saved searches are Vellum specific and yes, I would end up with something like:

Code:
<body>
  <div role="doc-chapter" epub:type="chapter">
         <h2 class="chapnum">DANNER</h1>

<p class="trifecta">FEBRUARY 1943</p>

<p class="center2">Dachau, Germany</p>
  </div>
<body>
Please note I left the first div with the role: and epub:type as I prefer to see them. And this is before I run AccessAide on the epub.

If Jon whinged about InDesign, Scrivener, Jutoh, etc. as often as he whinges about Vellum, it might be more palatable. Instead, he endlessly grumbles about Vellum. I used a quick Google search "jswolf vellum site:mobileread.com" and it comes up with a <expletive deleted> larger number of hits than a similar search for InDesign.

I have to agree that a Vellum produced ebook is not clean and simple code. OTOH, I believe that those of us who look at the code are a very small minority and the overwhelming majority will simply enjoy reading the book. On the gripping hand, Vellum has remained very consistent over several versions making the cleanup task very automatable so a task that once took me 10-15 minutes now takes about 2-3 minutes.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:49 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
I'm sure neither of those statements are really true.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 11:53 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
P
If Jon whinged about InDesign, Scrivener, Jutoh, etc. as often as he whinges about Vellum, it might be more palatable. Instead, he endlessly grumbles about Vellum. I used a quick Google search "jswolf vellum site:mobileread.com" and it comes up with a <expletive deleted> larger number of hits than a similar search for InDesign.
InDesign is far worse than Vellum being a rented program partially designed before Adobe even bought Aldus and it designed for paper print. Kludged for ebooks and especially Kludged for reflowable content. Far harder to clean up.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 05:05 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Most automated document creation/conversion programs create very ugly code when you look under the covers.

One job I'm looking at taking on for the next couple of weeks is an author whose book rights reverted but the publisher supplied 4 of the books as PDF and 3 as fixed layout ePubs straight from InDesign. What they want is to have them in Word/LO Writer format so the books can be edited and republished. Thankfully, they understand the limitations of what I am willing to do for the amount they can afford to offer.