Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2014, 03:50 AM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Is this website legit?

Hi,

I just bought a Kobo Glo and I was looking into seeing if I could email my ebooks from Calibre to my Kobo and I ran across this website: http://sendtokobo.com/

Only, I'm not sure if the Kobo devices come with an unique email address? I haven't seen anyone really mention that feature in any of the reviews I read.

I'd appreciate any and all help.

Best Regards,
Amalthia
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:12 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I doubt it's anything official. It looks like you have to install something on your Kobo.

Googling it got me this thread on MR: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209684

Possibly the fourth poster finally got the mentioned side project up and running?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2014, 04:48 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Bear in mind that anything you send to your Kobo goes via this third-party's servers and can be read/copied by them. And while I've no idea if it does, the installed app could easily send your Kobo's DRM keys back to the same third-party.

Meaning that they could get access to decrypted copies of all the ebooks sent through their service.

This is probably just me being a bit paranoid.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Looking through the scripts etc that are installed, I don't see anything that would concern me; it does look like an interesting idea that would appear to be quite useful.

It will only supports writing to the internal storage of the Kobo, and not to any external storage on the device.

I'll try installing it later on and see how it goes.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Hmmm. That did not go so well on my Kobo Touch! Had to do a factory reset.

I guess it might be a good idea to ask at that website what F/W versions they do support!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Hmmm. That did not go so well on my Kobo Touch! Had to do a factory reset.

I guess it might be a good idea to ask at that website what F/W versions they do support!
Hi,

thanks for testing and letting me know how it turned out. It sounds like I may stick to using my Calibre content server to access my collection from my device.

Thanks for your help!
Amalthia
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
I can certainly say that this service is not affiliated with Kobo.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Bear in mind that anything you send to your Kobo goes via this third-party's servers and can be read/copied by them. And while I've no idea if it does, the installed app could easily send your Kobo's DRM keys back to the same third-party.

Meaning that they could get access to decrypted copies of all the ebooks sent through their service.

This is probably just me being a bit paranoid.
This service only sends books by email no DRM keys.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote