Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Baen can no longer provide automatic delivery to Kindle by email.

This was posted on Baen's Bar today.

Quote:
Dear Baen Ebooks customer,

Starting on or about June 10, 2015, Baen Ebooks will no longer be able to provide automatic delivery of the .mobi format to a Kindle device via the "Email book to my Kindle" feature. We have just learned that to comply with Amazon's Terms of Use, Baen Ebooks cannot use Amazon's Personal Documents Service to deliver paid content.
They have updated the ereader instructions page:

Quote:
For more information on how to load Baen Ebooks onto your Kindle device, check out our Ereader Instruction page: http://www.baenebooks.com/t-ereaderi...ns.aspx#kindle
Spoiler:
Quote:
Emailing books directly to your Kindle

Depending on which Kindle you are using and how you are connecting to the Internet, Amazon may charge a modest fee for emailing an Ebook to your Kindle. For US customers, the fee is 15 cents for 1 MB of data (almost all of our Ebooks are less than 1 MB). For non-US customers, the fee is 99 cents for 1 MB of data.

Amazon’s Terms of Use does not permit Baen Books to send EBooks directly to your Kindle from the Baen site. You can, however, still email your Ebook to your Kindle by following these directions:
  1. Log in to your Amazon Kindle account at Amazon Kindle Manager.
  2. In Amazon Kindle Manager, add your personal email address to your list of approved senders under Manage Your Content and Devices Settings.
  3. Log in to your Baen Ebooks account and navigate to your purchased Ebook’s product page.
  4. Click “Email book to my Kindle.”
  5. Enter your personal email address into the email address box.
  6. Press Send.
  7. Check your email. You should receive an email from Ebooks@baenebooks.com with a .mobi file attached.
  8. Forward this email to your Kindle, making sure the .mobi file remains attached. Within 15 minutes, your Ebook should be on your Kindle.
For more information about Amazon fees, check out the Kindle section in our Ereader Instructions.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Interesting. I wonder if the same applies to third-party subscriptions. It was very handy to have periodicals automatically delivered by Weightless Books every month. This actually sorta sucks.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Interesting. I wonder if the same applies to third-party subscriptions. It was very handy to have periodicals automatically delivered by Weightless Books every month. This actually sorta sucks.
I agree. For the user it does suck. Even though I understand why Amazon doesn't want to foot the bill for other companies (bandwidth) to use the kindle...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Even though I understand why Amazon doesn't want to foot the bill for other companies (bandwidth) to use the kindle...
If you mean the cost of cell phone network transfer, Kindle owners pay for that, as can be seen by following the link in post #1.

Now, Kindle owners who get their @kindle.com transfers by WiFi do get that for free, but I don't think that costs Amazon much. And the email feature (not via Baen, but generally) was considered by me when I paid for the device.

Personally, I don't understand the detailed reasons for this move. But I'd point out the Baen competes with Amazon in the eBook marketplace. My speculation is that an Amazon beancounter decided it was more important to sell a few more eBooks than to sell a few more Kindles.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:12 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Amazon has been blocking transfers from other retailers for a while.
Smashwords has been complaining for years.

Some storefronts, like BAEN, were tolerated as a favor to readers but now that BAEN books are available via the Kindle store they don't expect a big enough outcry to matter. I wouldn't be surprised if BAEN were the last one still allowed to sell and email books into Kindles.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Some storefronts, like BAEN, were tolerated as a favor to readers but now that BAEN books are available via the Kindle store they don't expect a big enough outcry to matter. I wouldn't be surprised if BAEN were the last one still allowed to sell and email books into Kindles.
Weightless Books is still advertising the ability to auto-deliver periodicals to Kindles via the device's email address. No idea if it still works or not; but it did as of 3-4 months ago.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Some Googling shows that...

OmniLit/AllRomance eBooks
Bookstrand
O'Reilly
Untreed Reads
Humble Bundle
Liquid Silver Books
Packt Publishing

..all offer this.

As far as non-stores Instapaper offers this as does Netgalley.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-27-2015 at 10:16 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:25 AM   #8
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
What's going to change after 10 Jun?

Kindle Personal Documents TOS only say "You may not charge directly or indirectly to distribute content via the Service. You may not use the Service to send infringing, unauthorized, or otherwise illegal content. " - but this hasn't change for quite a while.

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201124320)
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Some Googling shows that...

OmniLit/AllRomance eBooks
Bookstrand
O'Reilly
Untreed Reads
Humble Bundle
Liquid Silver Books
Packt Publishing

..all offer this.

As far as non-stores Instapaper offers this as does Netgalley.
How many of those have distribution deals with Amazon, like BAEN does?
BAEN is both a retailer and a publisher. The dual status might have something to do with the pre-existing rules suddenly being enforced.

And, for that matter, do we know Amazon initiated this?
The phrasing of the quoted statement doesn't specify.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:11 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
And, for that matter, do we know Amazon initiated this?
The phrasing of the quoted statement doesn't specify.
That's sort of what I was thinking.
I'm having a hard time imagining that Amazon hasn't warned users that their (non-Amazon purchased) periodicals--which have always been auto-delivered to their devices--are going to stop being so delivered in a little less than two weeks.

Might just be a Baen/Amazon tiff.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Might just be a Baen/Amazon tiff.
Or it mighg be BAEN sales via Amazon growing big enough they don't need/want to risk annoying Amazon. Also, Amazon recently changed how they treat personal documents (Kindle cloud vs paid Amazon cloud) so lawyers on either end might be passing judgments.

If we hear of others being squeezed or blocked then we'll know where it's coming from.

(Or somebody at the BAEN bar might pass on a tip. )
Old 05-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #12
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Big deal. I load everything through Calibre so I know all the metadata is as I like it and then load my kindle with the USB. The only time I have whispernet turned on is to sync the clock because it doesn't keep very good time. Come to think of it, I don't think I've had whispernet turned on for a year or so.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #13
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Big deal. I load everything through Calibre so I know all the metadata is as I like it and then load my kindle with the USB. The only time I have whispernet turned on is to sync the clock because it doesn't keep very good time. Come to think of it, I don't think I've had whispernet turned on for a year or so.
Good for you. That workflow works great for you--I, on the other hand, have only connected my Voyage via USB one time, and that was to add the Font_Ramp file so that I could have different font sizes. My favorite thing about the Kindle is that I never HAVE to connect it to a PC, no matter where my books come from.

Isn't it great that we have choices?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #14
DBDigital
Connoisseur
DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Good for you. That workflow works great for you--I, on the other hand, have only connected my Voyage via USB one time, and that was to add the Font_Ramp file so that I could have different font sizes. My favorite thing about the Kindle is that I never HAVE to connect it to a PC, no matter where my books come from.

Isn't it great that we have choices?

Shari
Yes it is. And I think most people are of the same mindset with regard to connecting their device via USB. They will pay a little more (sale, different store, or otherwise) to have the book delivered wirelessly rather than spending 2 minutes to connect their device.

In my experience, people hate to side load. Personally I use both methods and would never purchase a device that did not have side-loading available for the simple reason that the wireless service might close, but side-loading will always work.
DBDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Calibre as a content-server, then. No need to ever plug in your Kindle except to charge it.

Personally, even though I got that letter from Baen, I've never used their email feature. I sideload just about everything, except what I use Calibre and (on the Fire) Calibre Companion to pull down from my always running Calibre on one of my servers.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote