Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2022, 09:47 AM   #1
rhsanborn
rhsanborn doesn't litterrhsanborn doesn't litterrhsanborn doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Screen Refreshing to Kindle Library on Wake from Sleep

I recently downgraded the firmware on my OG Paperwhite to 5.3.3 and jailbroke it. I loaded KOReader (which is great). I noticed something odd. On wake from sleep while I'm in KOReader, it works as expected, except about 5 seconds after waking, the screen refreshes and displays the Kindle Library screen. If I touch the screen, it responds like KOReader normally would. A page swipe shows the next page of the book I was in in KOReader, a tap on the top shows the KOReader top menu, etc. It's like it's doing a refresh and there is a cached view of the normal Kindle screen that's getting refreshed over top of KOReader.

I've done some searches and haven't found a whole lot. I was hoping someone has experienced this before. It's not the worst, if I'm in a book, I have to page forward and back to see my KOReader content, if I'm in the library, I have to pull up the top menu and reload the library to refresh the screen. It would just be cool if there was a known fix.
rhsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 10:38 AM   #2
rhsanborn

Forgot to add some details: Paperwhite Gen 1. Issue occurred with backloaded firmware (5.3.3) and continues with up-to-date firmware (5.6.1.1). KOReader version 2022.11. KUAL version 2.7.28. Running the K5 Jailbreak 1.16.
Advert
Old 12-29-2022, 12:40 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There are a few specific FW versions ranges where the mitigations against this sort of stuff kinda fail. Especially true on SO devices, and apparently those early 5.x FW versions, too.

I can't vouch for a "better" FW version on a PW1 as it's my SO device, which means it comes with a whole other set of quirks .

EDIT: ... and you've since updated to 5.6.x anyway ;D.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-29-2022 at 11:15 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 12:43 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You could see if lowering the 5.6.5 check to 5.6.0 here helps? (That would be in koreader/koreader.sh on your device).

That vaguely sounds like something I would have recommended before, and it hasn't been merged, sooo, YMMV ;D.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 01:25 PM   #5
rhsanborn

Thanks for responding personally! I'll just count my lucky stars any of this works on a 10 year old device. I tried updating koreader.sh like you recommended. The refresh and view of the Kindle library happens faster, which is convenient because I can manually force a refresh sooner and get back to reading, but doesn't fix it.

I thought I'd missed a step or an obvious setting. If it's just a quirk of fighting through Amazon firmware, I'll leave it be!

Note: this is NOT an SO device.
Advert