Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 01-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
freshly jailbroken PW4 user LOVING KOreader .. but have these questions... :)

Hey team:

Jailbroken Paperwhite 4 user here. I'm really enjoying koreader. i think i might just stay in it and rarely go back to the regular kindle interface: But I do have these questions for you folks:

1) When I attempt to export all notes from all books in EVERNOTE I see that it seems to create a new note for each book. What happens if I do an export AGAIN, will it duplicate notes? What happens if I create new notes for a book I've already exported, will it replace it?
2) I was reading on the install page that I could really mess things up if I connected the kindle to a computer with KOreader running. What's the worst that could happen? Could I brick my device?
3) If Koreader becomes unresponsive, is it safe to restart the kindle (hold down power button) or should I do something else in this case?
4) Do any of you folks run a wallabag server? Seems like a lot of work but I'm kinda cheap and don't want another subscription. Do you like the service?
5) Let's talk the news/rss downloader> Have you set it up? Is there a way to automatically clear out old(er) articles past x number of days? I don't want to gunk up my storage space with old articles.
6) I keep my calibre library on dropbox. What's the easiest/best way to get books from my calibre library => kindle?
7) I find browsing to get the book I want difficult. Probably because I've put my document root/home directory in the normal kindle documents folder (and there are hundreds of books there alreadY). what do you folks do to make finding the book you want easier? Do you create a new directory just for koreader books? And if so, where do you put it? inside of /documents/ or somewhere else?
8) Anyway to synchronize progress of the book from KOReader to moon+ reader?
9) It seems like it takes a long time when picking the book in the file browser, maybe because I've changed the default font to bookerly? Is there anyway to have it index my books so that selecting a differnt book is easier?
10) Collections... how can i set up a 'next up' collection in koreader which would show the books i plan on reading next.
11) backing up / saving settings. From what I gather, when I upgrade the kindle firmware, I lose all KOreader and have to reinstall it. How can i retain all settings/customizations i've done so that i can restore it after a firmware upgrade?
12) how often do OTA updates become available? any problem with running the OTA update?
13) is it safe to charge when koreader is running (not into computer, but into wall charger)

thanks for all your help in advance!

what great software... hard to back to the 'vanilla' kindle reading experience now
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
1, 2 → sorry, I don't know
3. It should be, unless Kindle is different from other platforms.
4. I don't, but there's a free one here: https://framabag.org/login
5. There's a remove news option, but I don't think it currently has an x number of days option.
6. I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Personally I think the easiest way to transfer files is through (S)FTP or a USB cable. I believe calibre can manage that completely for you.
7. You order files in folders however you want them.
8. No, they're neither open source nor do they have an API.
9, 10. Could you clarify what you mean precisely? It'd probably make the most sense to stick a book in a to-read folder or something like that.
11. You lose all of it and not just the ability to launch it? Wow, Kindle's harsh then.
12. Nightlies come out automatically every night (around 6 AM for Western Europe), while we generally try to do a stable every month.
13. It is on Kobo. @NiLuJe?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
6) Maybe COPS (Calibre OPDS PHP Server)? I don't know how to link it with Dropbox but it seems there are those that have done it. KOReader has built-in Dropbox support but it's a pain to navigate Calibre's folder structure via KOReader.

7) I have my KOReader library in /epub/ (/mnt/us/epub/ from the Kindle's point of view). I also have a /epub/_download/ directory for recent, unsorted or unprocessed books (e.g. downloads from Dropbox or Calibre OPDS content server).

Code:
epub/
  category/
    author/
      series 01 - title.epub

Calibre Save to disk/Send to device template:
{tags:sublist(0,1,\,)||/}{authors:sublist(0,1,&)||/}{series} {series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}
I keep a copy of the above structure in my Dropbox. Easier to navigate.

I'm also currently playing with disabling Calibre's Kindle device driver and using Connect to folder to transfer epub files instead. KOReader has Calibre catalog support which appears to read the "metadata.calibre" file created on the device/folder root when using send to device or update metadata cache.

KOReader also has Calibre wireless device support but I haven't tried that one yet (mainly because when I'm already in front of a PC, USB is available anyway).

11) KOReader is self-contained (KUAL launcher in /extensions/koreader/; app and settings in /koreader/) and is one of doesn't require reinstalling. Just need to back up the /koreader/ folder.

13) Yes.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
arooni
Addict

thanks for the fast response!

next q; i'm setting up wallabag via your helpful server suggestion, but not sure what i need for the URL

https://framabag.org/oauth/v2/token

is what i've tried without success. the api section doesn't seem to discuss what the url to use is...

UPDATE: i was able to verify with http that these are valid credentials but when i try with the following in koreader i get "could not login to wallabag server"

-- we can read Lua syntax here!
return {
["wallabag"] = {
["is_delete_finished"] = true,
["directory"] = "/mnt/us/ebooks/downloads",
["filter_tag"] = "",
["client_secret"] = "clientsecret",
["password"] = "pass",
["client_id"] = "clientid",
["is_delete_read"] = false,
["is_sync_remote_delete"] = false,
["username"] = "arooni",
["server_url"] = "https://framabag.org/oauth/v2/token",
["is_auto_delete"] = false
}
}
~
~
~

Last edited by arooni; 01-27-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
2. Has been hard-neutered for a while by disabling USBMS while we're up. It'll just do stupid things to the frontlight status. I still wouldn't recommend testing that theory, as it may not be 100% future-proof. Should still be "safe", though.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2019, 03:58 PM   #6
arooni
Addict

Thanks for all the quick answers!

Here are a few more Qs':
1) for wallabag what is the difference between 'remote delete finished articles' and 'remotely delete 100% read articles'
2) what's the difference between 'process deletions when downloading' and 'synchronize remotely deleted files'
3) I do not see 'online storage' in the plugins menu or in plugin manager.
4) i find highlighting difficult when its across pages. do you folks just go to scroll mode temporarily and then go back?
5) is there anyway within koreader to move books from one directory in the file browser to another (i.e. from download to nextup for instance)
6) trying to find a better way of ssh'ing scp'ing the file from a download directory on my mac/linux laptop to my kindle. that seems to be the only way i can put it in the correct directory on kindle (seems like directories are the same as collections on the kindle paperwhite)...
7) i got the wireless connection working with calibre; but not sure if i can specify a different directory than my default download directory (like putting the book in the scifi directory from calibre)

Last edited by arooni; 01-28-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:32 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
3) I do not see 'online storage' in the plugins menu or in plugin manager.

6) trying to find a better way of ssh'ing scp'ing the file from a download directory on my mac/linux laptop to my kindle. that seems to be the only way i can put it in the correct directory on kindle (seems like directories are the same as collections on the kindle paperwhite)...
7) i got the wireless connection working with calibre; but not sure if i can specify a different directory than my default download directory (like putting the book in the scifi directory from calibre)
3) It's called Cloud storage (under the wrench and screwdriver icon). Dropbox setup is little bit convoluted (can't just login with user/pass, you need to create a developer authentication token).
Tip: Type in a dummy token in KOReader then connect to USB and just copy-paste the actual token in the cloudstorage.lua settings file.

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/2424

5) Long press on a file gives you a menu. Alas, I don't know if it's possible to select multiple files to move.

6) & 7) This is why I use Calibre Save to disk function then FreeFileSync or robocopy via USB for mass copying.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
When using the calibre content server, and KOReader's OPDS function, you have the option to change the folder it downloads to, with each download.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #9
arooni
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
When using the calibre content server, and KOReader's OPDS function, you have the option to change the folder it downloads to, with each download.

Luck;
Ken
I can see in koreader where i can specify the default directory (but not change it) for new books from calibre wireless connection but within calibre not sure how this can be done. when i right click a book i see 'send to device' the only option is 'save to main memory'

unrelated:
does koreader read fonts stored in different locations? for instance, do i need to put the fonts in the /koreader/fonts/ directory or can i put it elsewhere (so that if i ever did read with the regular kindle app i could see the fonts in the default reader app in addition to koreader)?

well i'm definitely glad i jailbroke the kindle; koreader is reason enough to do it. so much better than the vanilla kindle experience.

Last edited by arooni; 01-29-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:47 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
I can see in koreader where i can specify the default directory (but not change it) for new books from calibre wireless connection but within calibre not sure how this can be done. when i right click a book i see 'send to device' the only option is 'save to main memory'
The normal path for 'send to device' is set via Calibre Preferences. Alas, I tested Calibre wireless device connection yesterday and either Calibre doesn't send the full path (just filename) or KOReader ignores it.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 01-29-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was talking about using " the calibre content server, and KOReader's OPDS function" not the calibre companion like function.

First you turn on the "content server" in calibre on your PC.

Then, in KOReader, under the search tab in the File Browser menu, find the "OPDS catalog" option. Then, "Local calibre catalog". Use the pop-up option to start the WiFi. Once you have an IP, click on "Local calibre catalog" again. Pick the sort of the catalog you want displayed. Select an ebook and you will get a message box with the current download folder and options to download whatever file types the calibre library has for that ebook and the option to "Select another directory". You can change directories before the download of each book you download, if you want. Once the book is downloaded, you get the option to "Read Now" or "Read Later". Just choose "Read Later" and select the next book you want to download, selecting whatever directory/folder you want to put it in.

While it is a one book at a time process, I often do 5 or 6 after a splurge on the Kindle store. It doesn't take more than a few minuets, to do that many.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #12
arooni
Addict

@Ken Maltby awesome! i much prefer getting books that way. i'm sort of curious what kinda folder scheme you set up. i have a 'next up' directory that i sort of put everything i want to read in. but i also have category folders, but seems a bit awkward to have to switch back and forth a few times.

thanks for the answers everyone. still have this question:
1) When I attempt to export all notes from all books in EVERNOTE I see that it seems to create a new note for each book. What happens if I do an export AGAIN, will it duplicate notes? What happens if I create new notes for a book I've already exported, will it replace it?

2) I should always quit out of koreader before connecting it to my computer (for using save to disk etc) correct?

3) if i can find it, which is the *best* format for koreader? i've read pdfs/epubs on it so far. but it seems like there are some special features for djvu and pdfs files.

4) kfx doesn't seem to be supported correct

Last edited by arooni; 02-09-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@arooni:

2/ Yep, USBMS is generally unsupported, and explicitly blocked on Kindle to avoid boo-boos .

3/ Unless you *really* need a non natively reflowable format, ePub.

4/ Neither is KF8.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-09-2019 at 10:32 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I use a pretty standard folder structure with 50+ Categories (Action, Classics, Fantasy, History, ect...). Some 7000+ ebooks.

Luck;
Ken