Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Post buildroot with the K3

I'm going to attempt building some programs and whatnot (like twobob has been), and it sounded like buildroot was a good place to start... Unfortunately, I have almost no experience whatsoever with compiling and the like...

Just got Buildroot to launch menuconfig, but cannot figure out what I need to choose for "Target Architecture Variant"... hmph.... Any ideas?
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
I'm going to attempt building some programs and whatnot (like twobob has been), and it sounded like buildroot was a good place to start... Unfortunately, I have almost no experience whatsoever with compiling and the like...

Just got Buildroot to launch menuconfig, but cannot figure out what I need to choose for "Target Architecture Variant"... hmph.... Any ideas?
Ask twobob if he will share his BR config files.
Use those for a starting point.

There is a "set" of them, all fairly small files. Similar to the kernel's ".config" files (BR uses the same configuration system).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah wait -- never mind... found this after a bit of googling:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188031

Quote:
NEXT UP: Configure Buildroot: (In the make xconfig menu, you can also do gconfig or w/e)

Settings: For Kindle 3 Keyboard.
Arch: Arm (little endian)

Variant: arm1136jf_s

Target ABI: EABI

Build options, Commands, Mirrors as they are

Toolchain:

Type: External

Toolchain: Sourcery CodeBench ARM 2007.q3

Origin: Pre-installed

Path: /opt/arm-2007.q3 (or whatever)

[x] enable mmu support
Old 10-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
qlob
Official Lurker

Now I just need to find the 2007q3 toolchain... It doesn't seem to be mirrored at the KeK repo....
Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now I just need to find the 2007q3 toolchain... It doesn't seem to be mirrored at the KeK repo....
It isn't?

Go to the "appendix B" of the KeK manual - there should be a link there to the Mentor Graphics index page.
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It isn't?

Go to the "appendix B" of the KeK manual - there should be a link there to the Mentor Graphics index page.
Nope, only 2006q1 or something to that effect...
Old 10-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
qlob
Official Lurker

Don't see a link in the reference, but Im probably missing something....

EDIT: when i go to download said toolchain (from link in email), I get a "token error"

Last edited by qlob; 10-18-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

http://www.mentor.com/embedded-softw.../lite-edition/

In the "ARM" section, click:
Download gnu/linux ...
Register if required
Follow the download link you receive in your e-mail
Find the desired package in the list - click that link
On that release page, select the type of package (the "installer" type files can not be re-distributed, the "archive" type of files may be re-distributed).

While the file is downloading, in your downloader panel, click copy-link, find something like:
From: https://sourcery.mentor.com/public/g...ux-gnu.tar.bz2

OR:
Check the KeK resource pool for the desired archive:
[ps34532]$ ls -1 arm-2007*
arm-2007q3-51-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-mingw32.tar.bz2
arm-2007q3-51-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2
arm-2007q3-51-arm-none-linux-gnueabi.src.tar.bz2
They are there now.

(That is the 32bit Windows binary, 32bit Linux binary, and source code bundle if the names don't mean anything to the reader.)

Last edited by knc1; 10-18-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Don't see a link in the reference, but Im probably missing something....

EDIT: when i go to download said toolchain (from link in email), I get a "token error"
I added them to the DIY-KeK resource pool at: http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK as the file names shown above.

Under Linux:
Download file ;
sudo tar -C /opt -xf arm-2007q3-51-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2
export PATH=/opt/arm-2007q3/bin:$PATH
export CROSS_COMPILE="arm-none-linux-gnueabi-"
Now that instance of your terminal is ready to go for "manual makefile" use.
In Buildroot, there are fields to set the above information in.
You can also add those two export statements to your shell config file, so all shells have those settings.

Last edited by knc1; 10-18-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
qlob
Official Lurker

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
qlob
Official Lurker

Downloading it now, with less than 5 min to go.

EDIT: Done!

Last edited by qlob; 10-18-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hi mate.

Yeah, The completed Pass / Fail list should save you some pain.

I will probably donate my entire karma to you if you test out and fix Tiny X on the 3 first Also note that the GIT repo from BR will change over time - so perhaps take two copies (one for reference, one to update via git pull, make diffing easier later on)

I run 4 5 copies atm for similar reasons (multiple targets, copies etc)
not terrible advice.

remember to configure your device as outlined at the minimodding article and if you are going to get radical with Busybox or something ensure you go down the safe path and don't end up with a bazzilion files (I did that once) - or copies of the busybox binary over and over. check my better busybox thread for the link / alias solution if you feel the need to replace core functionality. its much safer and takes up less room.

much of the stuff in /lib (not /usr/lib) /bin and the other ROOT folders will NEVER be called as it is core the the device (and has copies on already) so figure out what you DON'T need to copy (copying takes time, transfer the FAT can be dull the 1000th time, keep it trim, don't copy redundant rubbish)

/usr is probably a really great folder to start with and go from there.

readelf -d (theApp) to check any missing bits (try just dumping it on and see what fails)
a LOT of the time, it will "just work" with the minimodding config. (and just the /usr content moved)

another trick is to prefix the stuff with /mnt/us is the makes (I now do this on the new added stuff) - but let's visit that later - when you have a file skeleton to reflect that location.

more tips:
Don't build the QT examples. (circa 2 Gb IIRC) or at least do it last. and separate out the files (usr/share/qtX/blah, I think) before passing via scp.

moving files:
WinSCP has a nice trick of unrolling all symlink on-the-fly by default when copying onto FAT via Wine. I recommend it.

finding output:
I also no longer even build an output filesystem (tarred or otherwise), I simply jump to <~/GIT/BRK3>/output/target - those are the files you want for the kindle.

splatter them (ignore everything except the /usr/* in most cases) onto FAT mirrored as-is (so often you just copy that one folder for an updated transfer of a build) and since WinScp manages all the symlink resolves... well.. cup of tea and its done

Best practices:
Originally took me maybe 20 mins of "titting about" using other methods of transfer and by-hand sym-link resolving. Honestly - the method I'm describing is MUCH quicker.
for getting "to test". (if you feel fancy later on you could rsync it or something )
It could be scripted - to 99% success - if you preferred that route.

I'm happy with cherry-picking files and fast unrolled links.

HTH.

Last edited by twobob; 10-18-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: more stuff
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
qlob
Official Lurker

Hmmmm.... That sure is quite a lot of karma.... Unfortunately, I'm completely out of my depth with buildroot...

while running make it seems i need g++ and bison... time for yum!

Thanks for the karma offer, though
Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
qlob
Official Lurker

Oh, just a question: for the prefix option in buildroot, I use arm-none-linux-gnueabi- or whatever is is, right?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Oh, just a question: for the prefix option in buildroot, I use arm-none-linux-gnueabi- or whatever is is, right?
yep. : )

should be some screenies IIRC of those types of settings : D

possibly

EDIT: REMOVE THE SUFFIXED -
(for future readers)

Last edited by twobob; 10-18-2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: (for future readers)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote