Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old Today, 11:33 AM   #1
lordeagle
Enthusiast
lordeagle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW3, PW2
Question Any UsbNet solution for Eclipse2E

Hey guys,

I got an Eclipsa2E in hope to use it as VNC screen for outdoor works.

To avoid updates and keep a stable connection I used the built-in usbnet firmware on my H2O and niluje's usbnet-toggle. I thought I can use just the same on Eclipsa, but now it seems as there are no drivers shipped with the Eclipsa2E models.

Is there any chance to get usbnet running anyway, every pointer is welcome.

Currently the toggle does not work with the latest official utils.
Code:
[root@kobo bin]# usbnet-toggle
* Switching from USBMS to USBNet . . .
insmod: can't insert '/drivers/mt8113t-ntx/usb/gadget/arcotg_udc.ko': No such file or directory
! Could not load arcotg_udc.ko (it might be built-in on your device)
insmod: can't insert '/drivers/mt8113t-ntx/usb/gadget/g_ether.ko': No such file or directory
Looking into the /drivers directory, there is indeed not much to see that looks like an usbnet driver.
Code:
[root@kobo bin]# tree -la /drivers/
/drivers/
`-- mt8113t-ntx
    `-- mt66xx
        |-- wlan_drv_gen4m.ko
        |-- wmt_cdev_bt.ko
        |-- wmt_chrdev_wifi.ko
        `-- wmt_drv.ko

2 directories, 4 files
lordeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:14 PM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Eclipsa or Elipsa?
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 02:10 PM   #3
lordeagle
Enthusiast
lordeagle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW3, PW2
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Eclipsa or Elipsa?
Sorry, an old Eclipse programmer talking, now using an Kobo Elipsa 2E and trying to get used to the name
lordeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:47 PM   #4
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Gotcha, thanks! I just felt FOMO thst I missed a Kobo
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:52 PM   #5
elinkser
Addict
elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordeagle View Post
Looking into the /drivers directory, there is indeed not much to see that looks like an usbnet driver.
Code:
[root@kobo bin]# tree -la /drivers/
/drivers/
`-- mt8113t-ntx
    `-- mt66xx
        |-- wlan_drv_gen4m.ko
        |-- wmt_cdev_bt.ko
        |-- wmt_chrdev_wifi.ko
        `-- wmt_drv.ko

2 directories, 4 files

FWIW, on my Clara HD, the drivers are in /drivers/mx6sll-ntx/usb/gadget/:

# ls /drivers/mx6sll-ntx/usb/gadget/
configfs.ko g_zero.ko usb_f_ecm.ko usb_f_obex.ko
g_ether.ko gadgetfs.ko usb_f_ecm_subset.ko usb_f_rndis.ko
g_file_storage.ko libcomposite.ko usb_f_eem.ko usb_f_serial.ko
g_mass_storage.ko u_ether.ko usb_f_fs.ko usb_f_ss_lb.ko
g_ncm.ko u_serial.ko usb_f_mass_storage.ko
g_serial.ko usb_f_acm.ko usb_f_ncm.ko

On my Clara HD, These modules were listed during a USBnet connection:

# lsmod
g_ether 5247 0 - Live 0x7f03e000
usb_f_rndis 16195 2 g_ether, Live 0x7f035000
usb_f_ecm_subset 4777 0 - Live 0x7f030000
usb_f_eem 5485 0 - Live 0x7f02b000
usb_f_ecm 6855 1 - Live 0x7f025000
u_ether 12180 5 g_ether,usb_f_rndis,usb_f_ecm_subset,usb_f_eem,usb _f_ecm, Live 0x7f01e000
libcomposite 45183 5 g_ether,usb_f_rndis,usb_f_ecm_subset,usb_f_eem,usb _f_ecm, Live 0x7f00b000
configfs 23773 6 usb_f_rndis,usb_f_ecm_subset,usb_f_eem,usb_f_ecm,l ibcomposite, Live 0x7f000000

Here's a Gateworks article on OTG modules:
https://trac.gateworks.com/wiki/linux/OTG

Note that the Kobo Libra Color, a MediaTek device like your Elipsa, is using Secure Boot, which requires a signed kernel.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...52&postcount=1

Maybe try something like "dmesg | grep hash" to see if you get similar messages as for the Libra Color?

Here's a LWN article on Verified U-Boot:
https://lwn.net/Articles/571031/

On my Clara HD I can see if a module is configured:

# cat /proc/config.gz | gunzip | grep ETH
CONFIG_USB_U_ETHER=m
CONFIG_USB_ETH=m
CONFIG_USB_ETH_RNDIS=y

But can someone compile unsigned kernel modules and add them to a signed kernel?
Apparently not:
https://android.stackexchange.com/qu...forcing-kernel

On the plus side, I know that at least my android devices can provide a WiFi hotspot without being connected to the internet, so your Kobo can have WiFi on and connect to a VNC server without being exposed to unwanted updates.
elinkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert