Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 04-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Cuteepatootee
Cuteepatootee is on a distinguished road

Device: Blackberry Curve/Dell Axim x5
Ebook reader with auto scroll feature

I just got the HTC 8x windows phone and I am looking for an ebook reader that auto scrolls. Does anyone know of any? Way back when, I used Windows mobile phones and I used Mobipocket. I loved that program. I was looking at Freda and Freda+ but I don't see what the difference is between the two. Can someone help me?
Cuteepatootee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:12 AM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Freda+ is Freda without advertising and some other power options added. However Freda is a power consuming app because it uses DirectX interface (like games). It uses about 4% of CPU only idling.

There is another WP good eBook reader called Fiction Book Reader (do not confuse with FBReader). It is even capable to sync between WP and Windows 8 version, but I do not know if it has auto-scroll feature.

All other readers I've tested for WP and W8 are very crappy.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Freda+ is Freda without advertising and some other power options added. However Freda is a power consuming app because it uses DirectX interface (like games). It uses about 4% of CPU only idling.
The latest version of Freda does actually not use DirectX by default (it just uses regular text rendering) and I have made various fixes to try to reduce battery usage. So you might find power/CPU consumption improve a bit. But it is still a pretty heavyweight app, I agree.
To the OP question though, Freda does not actually provide auto-scroll. But you can get basically the same effect by using 'read aloud' and turning the volume down, I guess.

Last edited by Jim Chapman; 05-02-2014 at 03:50 AM.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Cuteepatootee
Cuteepatootee is on a distinguished road

Device: Blackberry Curve/Dell Axim x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post

There is another WP good eBook reader called Fiction Book Reader (do not confuse with FBReader). It is even capable to sync between WP and Windows 8 version, but I do not know if it has auto-scroll feature.

All other readers I've tested for WP and W8 are very crappy.
I downloaded Fiction Book Reader. I says in settings that it does have auto scroll but no where does it tell you HOW to do it. Its so annoying when there is no instructions. Do you know if there is instructions anywhere?
TIA
Cuteepatootee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #5
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Tuscan Reader has auto scroll option. It works and scrolling speed is user controlled.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert