Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-30-2022, 02:35 PM   #1
mark_e_h
Connoisseur
mark_e_h began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/IpadMini
system change with Dropbox??

I'm moving to a new system (win 11). I have exported the current Calibre library to an external drive.

But - I also have Dropbox, and keep my Calibre library there.
So... can I just set up the new system with Dropbox, install Calibre, and use the existing library in Dropbox (which will download the library to my system)?

How do I make sure all metadata/tags and settings are preserved?
thx for any suggestions.

MH
mark_e_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:09 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Dropbox is great for a Mirror
BUT
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2022, 04:34 PM   #3
mark_e_h
Connoisseur

Dropbox in this case downloads all files to the system. I mostly use it as an emergency backup.
Also - sometimes a handy way to get a book onto my ipad when I'm not at my home system.

In this case, since Dropbox will already be downloading the library to my new system anyway, I thought it would make sense to avoid an import.

Still don't know if there is a way to do that.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:53 PM   #4
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage,PW1,KOA, Kobo: Clara Colour, Nook GLP, Pocketbook verse
Just letting Dropbox create the calibre library folder and contents on my hard drive has worked for me when I shifted computers. I've done this at least 5 times over the years, probably more.
slm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:54 PM   #5
mark_e_h
Connoisseur

I'm sure that would work. But that would mean overwrite the existing (identical) library. And then Dropbox would resync everything.
Just trying to avoid the waste of time. But in the end that might just be the easiest way.

thx,

Advert