Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
planters
planters began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
PRS600 not recognized by computer

Wondering if anyone else has had or seen this problem. Bought one of the Sony PRS600 readers for a friend and she has had it now for less than a week. She has only had it connected to her computer a couple of times. Yesterday she connected it for the third time so that she could add a few books (she only had about a handful of books on it.) The reader doesn't pop up in the Sony Library. She has tried a couple of other usb ports on the computer and then even tried another computer. It seems that no computer wants to recognize the reader anymore.

So now she called the Sony help desk and was told that there is a problem with the reader and needs to take it back to the store to exchange it.

Is that really it? Is that the only solution to this problem? Has anyone else had this problem and could you relate your experience please? (For the record, I have a PRS600 myself as well now for about 2 weeks but have not seen this problem yet but am now worried about this happening to mine.)
planters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Hello and welcome, planters.
It happened to me once, the library software didn't pop up, and I was getting an "unrecognized usb device" message from my pc. After some panicky minutes, a reset of the 600 solved the problem. Has your friend tried resetting? I hope it helps.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
planters

Thanks omk3. Cool site here.
I will have to check with her and post back.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
planters

Your advice worked omk3! I passed along your advice to my friend and she tried a reset. She told me that she had to hold the pin in the reset hole for about 20 seconds before the reader finally went into a reset. After that she connected it to the computer and this time the computer recognized the reader no problem. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I'm very happy to hear that!
It seems people from the sony support should get to know their own devices a little better...
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
I had exactly the same problem out of the box. A simple reset as you describe fixed everything, and I have had no repeat of the issue.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote