Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old Today, 12:20 AM   #1
OptimisticReader
OptimisticReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
How to fetch news once, output in two different formats

Hi folks,

is there any way to reuse the cached downloads made by the first fetch in a second execution?

The need: I have a news recipe that I'd like to output in mobi (to read on kindle) and on EPUB (to read on ipad pro). Currently, the only way I know to do this is not via the UI, but in command line using ebook-convert tool twice, varying the extension of the output file. But this forces me to download twice the same things, sometimes hitting limits on the sources' servers.

Downloading in mobi first then converting mobi->epub breaks lots of intelligent things Calibre does, such as the links table to navigate that Calibre puts in Epub. Doing the reverse don't work well either on Kindle.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance and congrats for all the effort in this community
OptimisticReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:29 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there is no caching infrastructure in the news download subsytem, as this is not a common use case. Note that you can download it twice in the GUI as well, you just have to remember to change your output format before starting the second download.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert