Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-27-2024, 11:25 AM   #1426
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Finished my binge of Northern Exposure. What a horrible conclusion (most of the final 6th season, really) to a pretty decent show. From what I can gather, it was pretty typical behind-the-scenes network hoohah (moving from Mon to Wed), legal wrangling over credit "unattributed," and a contract fight with Rob Morrow that ultimately did it in. As much as I disliked Morrow's character, it's pretty hard to write the main character out of a show halfway through the sixth season and expect to get a seventh.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:51 AM   #1427
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Finished my binge of Northern Exposure. What a horrible conclusion (most of the final 6th season, really) to a pretty decent show. From what I can gather, it was pretty typical behind-the-scenes network hoohah (moving from Mon to Wed), legal wrangling over credit "unattributed," and a contract fight with Rob Morrow that ultimately did it in. As much as I disliked Morrow's character, it's pretty hard to write the main character out of a show halfway through the sixth season and expect to get a seventh.
I tried to binge it - but hated Morrow's character so much I stopped - the townspeople were captivating by themselves.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2024, 12:06 PM   #1428
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I tried to binge it - but hated Morrow's character so much I stopped - the townspeople were captivating by themselves.
Ironically, the character of Joel Fleischman became almost likable in his limited cameos in the first half of season 6. Still not enough to redeem the character by any means, though.

I was pleasantly surprised to be reminded that tackling topics like diversity, feminism and cultural approbation is not the recent phenomenon some people want to make it out to be. They were alive and well in the early 90's in fictional Cicely AK.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 02:40 PM   #1429
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Latest season of Silent Witness - it's always been hit or miss but I thought it went downhill during COVID and hasn't recovered. It needs some new blood but Velvy isn't the answer.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 09:34 PM   #1430
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Re-watching "One Punch Man". Why no season 3 yet?
One possibility (which often happens) is that the anime has outrun the manga. Often when that occurs they do filler episodes until the manga has enough stories to warrant doing more anime episodes. With Bleach they did an entire story arc, The Bounts, as filler that sat between the second and third manga story arcs. Unlike many filler episodes, The Bount Arc in Bleach was great. It is possible with One Punch Man that they just decided to waiting for more manga stories rather than resorting to filler episodes.

Another possibility is that the rights to the Third Season of One Punch Man haven't been acquired by a U. S. releasing company (yet). Sometimes, an anime series move from one company to another. An example of this is Dragonball Z where the First Season was localized for the U. S. by one company, and then localized by another company (Funimation) for the rest of the series. Later, Funimation redubbed the First Season with the current voice actors.

Although it is not anime, a variation of that occurred with the series ReBoot. In the U. S. the series was broadcast on ABC and at the end of the Second Season the series was cancelled, ending on a cliffhanger. There was a Third Season but ABC did not broadcast it, although it was shown in other countries. It was 10 years before the Third Season was finally shown in the U. S. as part of Toonami on Cartoon Network.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2024, 12:56 PM   #1431
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Latest season of Silent Witness - it's always been hit or miss but I thought it went downhill during COVID and hasn't recovered. It needs some new blood but Velvy isn't the answer.
Yes, funny you mention that. I seemed to have gone off the program in that crashing-airplane episode a few seasons back. I don't really know WHY, but...I just did. Maybe it's the whole...well, nm, don't want to spoil it but I miss some of the folks.

Oh, BTW, I tried Rebel Moon, too, with Sofia Boutella (Netflix). Honestly, kids, it was like Star Wars-meets-Dune-meets-now I can't remember.-somehting else

LOTS of (cough) homaging going on, even to the point of recreating the Tatooine bar scene to some extent and having the plucky band be a female warrior, a clueless farmer, and a morally-questionable pilot go off to adventure.

Oh, yes and there's a C3PO character, too. Nope, not kidding.

And a few other things that just...banged the drum too loudly, if the drum is playing in the Trope Band. It's in two parts, the 2nd of which is meant to drop in ...March, methinks. Is it unwatchably bad? Well...not really, but you can't miss the obvious bits.

Watched the "latest" Fr. Brown with the short reappearance of Lady Montague. It was 'okay' but the plots are running out of steam and originality, they REALLY are.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 07:33 AM   #1432
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Deadly Seasons, a pretty good French series with a detective/profiler with an interesting personal life...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 08:05 AM   #1433
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Recently watched the new "Dune: Part 2". It seems to be getting rave reviews, but I found the pacing intolerable. The film seemed very dull and slow for the first 85% of the movie, then the final 15% rushed and an anticlimax.

I loved part 1, was really looking forward to part 2. Perhaps a directors cut will emerge which improves things.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 11:34 AM   #1434
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Star Trek S2E01: Amok Time

What even is this show?

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2024-02-28-17h06m30s679.png
Views:	12
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	206698

Name:	vlcsnap-2024-03-01-22h52m49s200.png
Views:	14
Size:	440.9 KB
ID:	206699

It's also the first aired episode with Ensign Chekov and whatever the hell that thing is on his head. A Beatles wig?

Name:	vlcsnap-2024-03-04-12h33m17s846.png
Views:	22
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	206700
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:30 PM   #1435
Jordan5
Jordan5 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Watched the "latest" Fr. Brown with the short reappearance of Lady Montague. It was 'okay' but the plots are running out of steam and originality, they REALLY are.
Hitch
The Lady F. and Flambeau eps were the best of the season--in good part because they mercifully benched Devine and Brenda for a fair amount of the action. 👏😈 😈 Honestly, S11 had some solid premises, but the writing--well, when the scripters have good ideas, they don't make them nearly as good as they could be. And when they have weak/bad ones, they make them worse. Add to that the awful panto new main show direction and the Devine/Brenda blight, and you've got a real ordeal to sit through.

Man, I used to think British TV was way better than what we (in America) get. But it's rare as hell--if ever--that any network/production company here would let a previously-successful show drag on for two frickin' seasons with this much wrong with it. That bad boy would have gotten to S10, fourth episode only before fixes would have been implemented--up to and including folks losing their jobs. 😡🙄What is the _deal_ with the BBC? This mess is straight-up woeful and is squandering not only most of a good cast...but viewer goodwill.
Jordan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 11:24 PM   #1436
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Animated comedy called "Brickleberry". It's very silly and completely un-PC.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 11:56 PM   #1437
kwik
kwik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
What are you enjoying? Maybe a TV series you are binging on, a certain YouTuber you enjoy or a film you've seen that made a big impression on you.
A video entitled: The War On Children.

https://rumble.com/v4b6mju-the-war-o...and-lando.html
kwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 01:20 AM   #1438
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
We finally finished the final season of Doom Patrol. We had seen the first half, but it was so long ago that we rewatched that.

I liked it, finally a series with a proper ending. They usually get cancelled and you end up with a cliffhanger.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:06 AM   #1439
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Sunday I watched Vera S13 E1 on Britbox. Also watched the most recent episode of Blue Bloods but was not paying close attention. I watch it to see my city on the screen.

I have been watching God Save Texas on Max. The first episode is about Huntsville and its prisons. I've started the 2nd episode about Galveston and Houston but it was late and I am saving the rest for another time. There are three episodes, each with a different host. I read the book that "inspired" the show by Lawrence Wright a few years ago. The show is nothing like that book, but it's worthwhile.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:10 AM   #1440
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan5 View Post
The Lady F. and Flambeau eps were the best of the season--in good part because they mercifully benched Devine and Brenda for a fair amount of the action. 👏😈 😈 Honestly, S11 had some solid premises, but the writing--well, when the scripters have good ideas, they don't make them nearly as good as they could be. And when they have weak/bad ones, they make them worse. Add to that the awful panto new main show direction and the Devine/Brenda blight, and you've got a real ordeal to sit through.

Man, I used to think British TV was way better than what we (in America) get. But it's rare as hell--if ever--that any network/production company here would let a previously-successful show drag on for two frickin' seasons with this much wrong with it. That bad boy would have gotten to S10, fourth episode only before fixes would have been implemented--up to and including folks losing their jobs. 😡🙄What is the _deal_ with the BBC? This mess is straight-up woeful and is squandering not only most of a good cast...but viewer goodwill.
Yeah, they are pretty lame. It's also a shame because this series had legs for a while.

The guy playing whoosiewhatsits, the inspector...I hope he's at least getting some decent pay because he's damn sure not getting any decent play and the Sargeant...he's just utterly wasted, which is also a shame because he's a likable character.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote