Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-12-2023, 01:58 PM   #1411
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish_krish View Post
On trying to convert kpf to kfx - getting the following error message, kfx output plug-in version is 2.3.0:

File "calibre/debug.py", line 283, in main
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.__init__", line 259, in cli_main
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.__init__", line 340, in convert_from_kpf_or_zip
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.kfxlib.yj_book", line 221, in decode_book
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.kfxlib.yj_structur e", line 515, in check_consistency
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.kfxlib.resources", line 510, in get_pdf_page_size
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'PdfReader'
Thanks. A fix to that plugin release is coming soon.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:17 PM   #1412
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 2.3.1 - 12 Sep 2023

Fix bugs introduced in previous plugin release for some fixed-layout books. (Fixes "AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'PdfReader'" and "ERROR: Exception checking book consistency: KeyError('$564')")
Advert
Old 09-13-2023, 05:29 AM   #1413
krish_krish
krish_krish began at the beginning.

Device: kindle scribe
Thank you, it's working fine with 2.3.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Thanks. A fix to that plugin release is coming soon.
krish_krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 02:41 PM   #1414
vitace
vitace began at the beginning.

Device: kndle paper white
Hi all

may I ask you why after conversion in .kfx or .mobi I can read below only position and not page numbers? I mean also switching on vary choices

many thanks
Giuseppe
vitace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 05:24 PM   #1415
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitace View Post
may I ask you why after conversion in .kfx or .mobi I can read below only position and not page numbers? I mean also switching on vary choices
Kindle books in MOBI or AZW3 format require a separate APNX file to convey page number information. Calibre can create this file for you if you use it to sideload your book to a Kindle over USB.

KFX format includes page numbers in the main file, but by default will only have them if the source file being convert to KFX itself contains page numbers. The KFX Output plugin will produce page numbers in books that do not have them if you set the "Create approximate page numbers" option in the KFX Output tab during conversion.
Advert
Old 09-29-2023, 04:40 AM   #1416
vitace

Quote:
Kindle books in MOBI or AZW3 format require a separate APNX file to convey page number information. Calibre can create this file for you if you use it to sideload your book to a Kindle over USB.

KFX format includes page numbers in the main file, but by default will only have them if the source file being convert to KFX itself contains page numbers. The KFX Output plugin will produce page numbers in books that do not have them if you set the "Create approximate page numbers" option in the KFX Output tab during conversion.

REally many thanks

Probably the file itself does not contain page numbers

Where I can find the "KFX Output tab"? Sorry..
Old 09-29-2023, 07:29 AM   #1417
vitace

ok I did it!!

many thanks JHowell

it is a very powerful tool Calibre!
Old 09-29-2023, 09:13 AM   #1418
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitace View Post
ok I did it!!

many thanks JHowell

it is a very powerful tool Calibre!
Great.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:13 PM   #1419
korwynkim
korwynkim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Converting to KFX with the plugin seems to remove the metadata jacket page created with the "polish" options on calibre. When I view the same EPUB which contains the metadata jacket on Kindle Previewer, the jacket shows in the resulting output. So it seems like the plugin is removing it at some point.

Is it possible to change this behavior?
korwynkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 09:08 PM   #1420
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korwynkim View Post
Converting to KFX with the plugin seems to remove the metadata jacket page created with the "polish" options on calibre. When I view the same EPUB which contains the metadata jacket on Kindle Previewer, the jacket shows in the resulting output. So it seems like the plugin is removing it at some point.

Is it possible to change this behavior?
The metadata jacket is automatically removed or replaced whenever a conversion occurs. That is a function of calibre's conversion process.

In order to generate a new metadata jacket during conversion you need to select the option "Insert metadata page at start of book" in the Structure detection tab.

A bug in the current version of this plugin causes that setting to be ignored, resulting in no new jacket being created. This will be fixed in the next plugin release.
Old 10-09-2023, 03:04 PM   #1421
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Getting a bunch of these errors when running the CLI (for KFX Input also):

Code:
'/usr/local/Cellar/openssl@3/3.1.3/lib/libcrypto.3.dylib' not valid for use in process: mapped file has no cdhash, completely unsigned? Code has to be at least ad-hoc signed.)
Might be new issue with macOS Sonoma.

It doesn't appear to affect the function, at least with what I'm doing.

It does prevent DeACSM plugin from operating (or even loading), so I need to brew unlink openssl@3 before running that.

Wonder if you have any ideas, my web searches are not returning any useful results, apart from explaining how to ad hoc sign the library (which I'm thinking of doing).

(ad hoc signing didn't have any effect, other than changing the result of code sign -d -v: still get OSErrors and DeASCM plugin will not load.)

Last edited by tomsem; 10-09-2023 at 05:19 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 04:55 PM   #1422
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Getting a bunch of these errors when running the CLI (for KFX Input also):

Code:
'/usr/local/Cellar/openssl@3/3.1.3/lib/libcrypto.3.dylib' not valid for use in process: mapped file has no cdhash, completely unsigned? Code has to be at least ad-hoc signed.)
That is odd. This plugin includes a PDF handling library (pypdf) that can access the Python cryptographic libraries that are built into calibre. Those might be making use of openssl, but if so that is something that calibre handles, not the plugin.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:29 PM   #1423
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
That is odd. This plugin includes a PDF handling library (pypdf) that can access the Python cryptographic libraries that are built into calibre. Those might be making use of openssl, but if so that is something that calibre handles, not the plugin.
I could not reproduce this on my MacBook, with the calibre environment there. DeACSM is not working there (I don't think I customized it there but it isn't even loading), but I did not see Tracebacks when operating the CLI.

I noticed that my iMac had a symlink, /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.dylib, that was not on my MacBook. I nuked it.

DeACSM is working again, and I'm not seeing the OSErrors operating the CLI.

My theory is that the symlink was somehow triggering some enhanced security of Sonoma, and left over from some previous install of OpenSSL when using such a symlink wasn't considered an issue.

But it's not my area of expertise, so all is well that ends well.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-09-2023 at 06:53 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 08:13 AM   #1424
Kaz07
Kaz07 began at the beginning.

Device: Leaf 2
Quote:
You can convert a book to KFX with hyphenation disabled by changing the conversion settings. In the "Look and feel" section choose the "Styling" tab and paste the following into the "Extra CSS" box:

body {-webkit-hyphens: none;}

worked for some of my books that I converted from Epub to kfx. however, I still have hyphenation in other books. is there any other way to stop hyphenation permanently when converting from Epub to kfx?

sorry if my question is in the wrong place.
Kaz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 10:01 AM   #1425
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz07 View Post
is there any other way to stop hyphenation permanently when converting from Epub to kfx?
The CSS I wrote previously will not override the book's formatting if the publisher explicitly forced hyphenation to occur for that book. Using the following will work in more cases, but may not always depending on the CSS already in the book.

body {-webkit-hyphens: none !important}

You may still need to use the calibre editor to remove CSS instructions that enable hyphenation in order to make this work in some books.

Tags
kfx, linux, wine