Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-25-2023, 10:42 AM   #1396
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Then, you can test using Calibre to convert. Note that I do not use any "extra CSS" option...I insert the CSS into the original file. I also disable pretty much every option that does anything to alter the original CSS.
I downloaded the EPUB and it converts to KFX in calibre for me without producing any errors.

Please post the conversion log of the failure. That will show all of the software versions and conversion settings in use.

Edit: Oops. I thought you were reporting a conversion problem instead of providing an example of a book that converts properly. Never mind.

Last edited by jhowell; 08-25-2023 at 03:21 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 02:19 PM   #1397
Flaviocc
Zealot
Flaviocc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW5 / Kobo Aura One
This is the book I have problem.

No margins and no hyphens too.
Flaviocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2023, 04:20 PM   #1398
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaviocc View Post
This is the book I have problem.

No margins and no hyphens too.
Much of the early part of that book is either centered text or table content. Centered text is less likely to extend all of the way to the edge of the screen making the negative margins less apparent. Negative margins are unsupported in tables in KFX. Later the book uses regular text and the effect the of negative margins is visible there.

The CSS of that book has the property "-epub-hyphens: none" set in many of its classes. That property disables hyphenation in KFX. Removing that results in hyphenation throughout the book.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:35 PM   #1399
Flaviocc
Zealot

Thank you so much.

So if I get a book that have negative margins in tables will give me that error?

And tks about the hyphenation answer.
Old 08-25-2023, 05:52 PM   #1400
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaviocc View Post
So if I get a book that have negative margins in tables will give me that error?
Negative margins in tables will be ignored in KFX format. There will be a warning about that in the conversion log.
Advert
Old 08-25-2023, 06:44 PM   #1401
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Those wishing to use negative margins in order to fit more text on the screen should be aware that doing so is unsupported by Amazon and can trigger bugs in the Kindle reading software.

KFX: centered 'transition' too much to the left

Problem putting a book from calibre into Kindle
Old 08-26-2023, 11:12 AM   #1402
Flaviocc
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Those wishing to use negative margins in order to fit more text on the screen should be aware that doing so is unsupported by Amazon and can trigger bugs in the Kindle reading software.

KFX: centered 'transition' too much to the left

Problem putting a book from calibre into Kindle
The last thread another user found the bug.

The problem is the kindle language. When in English the bug we are talking about is gone.
Old 08-26-2023, 01:21 PM   #1403
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
A weirdness I haven't bothered to post is that a negative margin on the html element and a table on a page are just fine...until you add in a drop cap.

This results in the rendering seen in the first attached picture, where the drop cap floats to where it belongs, but the text doesn't flow around it.

Also, even without negative margins at the html level, there are other combinations of CSS that cause the left margin to be farther left than the CSS would indicate. One of these cases seems to be the same as the "margin at the top of the page" bug, where it isn't rendered correctly until something non-blank is rendered. I've also seen it in

And, the Kindle renderer in general doesn't support negative margins that push content outside the enclosing block. This is perfectly legal, and has actual uses (like hanging initial punctuation outside the text block), although they are rare.
Attached Images

nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:16 AM   #1404
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
A weirdness I haven't bothered to post is that a negative margin on the html element and a table on a page are just fine...until you add in a drop cap.

This results in the rendering seen in the first attached picture, where the drop cap floats to where it belongs, but the text doesn't flow around it.

Also, even without negative margins at the html level, there are other combinations of CSS that cause the left margin to be farther left than the CSS would indicate. One of these cases seems to be the same as the "margin at the top of the page" bug, where it isn't rendered correctly until something non-blank is rendered. I've also seen it in

And, the Kindle renderer in general doesn't support negative margins that push content outside the enclosing block. This is perfectly legal, and has actual uses (like hanging initial punctuation outside the text block), although they are rare.
There is a very good solution that I use. I remove the dropcap. It doesn't work all that well anyway. Change the line-height, change the font, change the font size, and the dropcap could be off. So it's easier to just do away with it. I don'r need it and I don't care that it's no longer there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:58 AM   #1405
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I remove the dropcap. It doesn't work all that well anyway. Change the line-height, change the font, change the font size, and the dropcap could be off.
You not liking drop caps really isn't important to the discussion.

That said, drop caps on KFX don't work that way. You pick a font size in the CSS that gives you the number of lines the drop cap will cover, and the Kindle takes care of the rest, regardless of the font. The baseline of the drop cap is aligned with the baseline of the appropriate body text line, and the ascender of the drop cap is aligned with the ascender of the first line in the paragraph.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 09:18 AM   #1406
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 2.3.0 - 01 Sep 2023

Allow conversion of Hebrew (he) and Thai (th) language books. (There is no guarantee that books in languages that are unsupported by Amazon will render properly on Kindle devices and apps.)

Fix issue date metadata being ignored during conversion.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:30 PM   #1407
Hoosierdaddy
Hoosierdaddy began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola Android Phone
jhowell

Thank you SO much for creating this plug-in AND for keeping it updated. It truly helps those of us who buy on Amazon but want the flexibility that epubs offer. Bought a book tonight on Amazon, tried to convert and got a "no can do" message. Opened plugins and updated. POOF! Converted easily. Thanks again for what you do.
Hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 08:25 AM   #1408
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy View Post
Thank you SO much for creating this plug-in AND for keeping it updated.
I happy to hear that you find it useful.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:01 PM   #1409
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy View Post
POOF! Converted easily.
Unrelated flash.

Reminded me playing my first adventure game... Picture jhowel busy at v1.0 of the then named KFXyzzy plugin, deep inside Colossal Cave. 47 years later, Poof! his magic works.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 04:07 AM   #1410
krish_krish
krish_krish began at the beginning.

Device: kindle scribe
jhowell

On trying to convert kpf to kfx - getting the following error message, kfx output plug-in version is 2.3.0:

File "calibre/debug.py", line 283, in main
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.__init__", line 259, in cli_main
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.__init__", line 340, in convert_from_kpf_or_zip
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.kfxlib.yj_book", line 221, in decode_book
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.kfxlib.yj_structur e", line 515, in check_consistency
File "calibre_plugins.kfx_output.kfxlib.resources", line 510, in get_pdf_page_size
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'PdfReader'
krish_krish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, linux, wine