Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-24-2023, 04:36 PM   #1381
Killam42
Killam42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That won't work, but it shouldn't just run forever. See Converting Comics and Manga in the first post in this thread for more information.

Have you tried the version of Frankenstein I mentioned earlier? If that fails to convert in a reasonable time then I suggest using the timeout option I mentioned in my previous post.

I assume that you mean that this problem happens when running calibre under regular MacOS and also when running calibre under parallels. So you have both Kindle Previewer for Mac and Kindle Previewer for Windows both installed on your system? I am not very familiar with Macs so I don't know if there might be a problem with doing that.

I did try to the Frankenstien file and it did go through, and I did try to comic again and finally got an error and it was missing the KPF, and I haven't looked at the comic section yet. But I'm guessing I need to convert my CBZ to a KPF file.
Killam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:25 AM   #1382
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Version 2.1.0 - 25 Jul 2023

Add a cover entry to the landmarks metadata for fixed layout books produced from KPF format. This fixes a non-working "Cover" entry appearing in the table of contents on Kindle devices.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2023, 10:36 AM   #1383
nguoi doc sach
nguoi doc sach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Vietnamese book

I dont know if this is really a bug.

When I use this plugin to convert a Vietnamese book from epub, azw3, mobi into kfx files, it show that it has an internal error. Then I delete Vietnamse language in calibre edit metadata, and still haven't embed that in books by embed metadata, I convert it just fine. I dont know what is wrong with that cause I don't change anything on that book, I just delete the language 'Vie" or change to 'Eng' or something else.

I think maybe this is a problem with calibre.
nguoi doc sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 01:46 PM   #1384
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguoi doc sach View Post
When I use this plugin to convert a Vietnamese book from epub, azw3, mobi into kfx files, it show that it has an internal error. Then I delete Vietnamse language in calibre edit metadata, and still haven't embed that in books by embed metadata, I convert it just fine. I dont know what is wrong with that cause I don't change anything on that book, I just delete the language 'Vie" or change to 'Eng' or something else.
Blocking some languages is a "feature" of the Kindle Previewer that this plugin uses as part of the conversion process. Only languages that are officially supported by Amazon for use on Kindles will convert.

As you found, that error can be worked around by changing the language of the book to something that is supported. Whether or not the resulting book will render properly can be hit or miss depending on the characteristics of the language and and whether any special fonts needed for it.

The next release of this plugin will automatically change a language code of "vi" to one that will convert so that you do not have to do it manually. (Kindles use two-letter ISO 639-1 language codes.)
Old 08-06-2023, 11:36 PM   #1385
jadenquest
jadenquest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I could not get the converted kfx file to have pop-up footnotes on my Kindle (it simply redirects to the footnotes page).
The same epub file converted to azw3 seems to be able to do it, however.
The kfx generated from the azw3 can not pop up either.

Thanks in advance!

The epub I used is this one.
jadenquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2023, 10:36 AM   #1386
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadenquest View Post
I could not get the converted kfx file to have pop-up footnotes on my Kindle (it simply redirects to the footnotes page).
The same epub file converted to azw3 seems to be able to do it, however.
The kfx generated from the azw3 can not pop up either.
The popup footnote feature only functions when the HTML formatting is recognized as being a footnote by the Kindle reading software that renders the book. There is no specification by Amazon of precisely what coding will be recognized as a footnote. Generally it requires forward and back links between the main text and the footnote with the footnote content being a single paragraph, however some variations are acceptable. This is handled inconsistently across different Kindle formats.

Unfortunately there is no automatic fix that can be done to make this function. If you want popup footnotes you will need to edit the HTML coding in some books. It might take several attempts using trial and error depending on the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadenquest View Post
The epub I used is this one.
I took a look at the first footnote in the book you mentioned. The footnote is coded as a <p> element within a <div>. Changing the inner <p> to a <span> and the outer <div> to a <p> caused the footnote to be handled properly in KFX format.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:50 AM   #1387
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 2.2.0 - 07 Aug 2023

Allow conversion of Vietnamese language books.

Fix error when processing the cover of fixed layout books converted from KPF format. (Fixes "YJFragmentList item is missing: '$389'")
Old 08-07-2023, 10:58 PM   #1388
yparitcher
Connoisseur
yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 KT4 PW4 PW5
he language

@jhowell

Thanks for this useful plugin,
Can you please add hebrew "he" to KPR_UNSUPPORTED_LANGUAGES ?

kindle previewer crashes with an internal error when encountering books with a hebrew language code, however the hebrew text works fine.

I added it locally and it is working fine.

Thanks
yparitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 01:04 AM   #1389
jadenquest
jadenquest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thumbs up

Quote:

I took a look at the first footnote in the book you mentioned. The footnote is coded as a <p> element within a <div>. Changing the inner <p> to a <span> and the outer <div> to a <p> caused the footnote to be handled properly in KFX format.
Thank you so much, this worked!! If anyone stumbled upon this, I used the format HTML in Tools to substitute the p to span; and I used find and replace in highlighted text to replace the div with p.
jadenquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 07:40 AM   #1390
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yparitcher View Post
Can you please add hebrew "he" to KPR_UNSUPPORTED_LANGUAGES ?
Yes. That change will be in the next release of this plugin.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:46 PM   #1391
NeoGenesisX
NeoGenesisX began at the beginning.

Device: PPW5, Scribe
Quote:
Yes. That change will be in the next release of this plugin.

Thank you!, the plugin works wonderfully.

Could you kindly add "th" for Thai language to KPR_UNSUPPORTED_LANGUAGES as well?

Thank you!
NeoGenesisX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 06:25 AM   #1392
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGenesisX View Post
Could you kindly add "th" for Thai language to KPR_UNSUPPORTED_LANGUAGES as well?
Yes. I will add that also. It will be a few weeks as I am currently traveling.
Old 08-24-2023, 05:45 PM   #1393
Flaviocc
Zealot
Flaviocc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW5 / Kobo Aura One
Hi ! Tks for the plugin.

I have 2 questions:

On few books I cant convert when using this (extra css option):

html {
margin-right: -30px;
margin-left: -30px;
break-inside: avoid !important;
}

This is the error message: kfx conversion calibre Margins with negative values are not currently supported with Tables in Enhanced Typesetting.

And the same book when converted they don't have hyphens (it's hard form me read without hyphens...)

Tks.

Last edited by Flaviocc; 08-24-2023 at 06:16 PM.
Flaviocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 06:23 AM   #1394
willemml
willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.willemml is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Post Offline writing on PDFs with Scribe

Hello, I have used this plugin to convert KPF files to KFX files. The KPF files were created using Kindle Create from random PDF files I have. I then used this in an AppleScript to automate sending PDFs to my Kindle Scribe so that I can write on them directly. This is very hacky but it works for now until there is a smoother way of getting PDFs onto the scribe so they can be written on, without contacting Amazon (this works fully offline on my mac, the only requirements are that the Kindle Create app is installed, and calibre is installed with the KFX Output plugin.)
If a Kindle is connected the resulting KFX file is automatically copied to it.

Link to the GitHub repo with relevant files: https://github.com/willemml/kindle_scribe_pdfsender

Again, this is very hacky and only works on macOS, but I thought someone might find it useful anyways.
willemml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 09:43 AM   #1395
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaviocc View Post
On few books I cant convert when using this (extra css option):

html {
margin-right: -30px;
margin-left: -30px;
break-inside: avoid !important;
}

This is the error message: kfx conversion calibre Margins with negative values are not currently supported with Tables in Enhanced Typesetting.
There must be something other than the margins that are the issue.

Attached is a scrambled ePub (since it is covered by copyright) of a short story that has almost exactly the same formatting:
Code:
html {
	margin-left: -5.5%;
	margin-right: -5.5%;
	break-inside: avoid;
}
It converts just fine to KFX. Download it and test. By opening the EPUB with the Kindle Previewer software, you can check for conversion problems while eliminating Calibre and the plugin from the chain.

Then, you can test using Calibre to convert. Note that I do not use any "extra CSS" option...I insert the CSS into the original file. I also disable pretty much every option that does anything to alter the original CSS.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Table to KFX.epub (89.4 KB, 40 views)
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, linux, wine