Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #1381
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilenceIsGolden View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I'm with you on the bank, but not really sure high security is necessary for getting my bought books off an etailer's servers.
Blame Google. For better or for worse, Google has been actively prioritizing secure websites in their search the past couple of years, making unsecure websites difficult if not impossible to find in search. Also, a web browser committee is currently discussing deprecating TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 support from their browsers to force companies to upgrade to a minimum of TLS 1.2. Anything using TLS 1.1 or below (such as Barnes & Noble until tomorrow), will simply no longer work.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #1382
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
lkmiller...At one point, there were some books that B&N were offering as being able to be read on line only. I can't remember why. The book had a statement with it along the lines of this book is not available for your device but you can read it on line.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2018, 06:52 AM   #1383
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
tas03,

Well, I'm glad I never came across that...or I just blocked it out! Does...not...compute. B&N really has an incredible talent for figuring out ways to drive away customers!
lkmiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:40 AM   #1384
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tas03 View Post
lkmiller...At one point, there were some books that B&N were offering as being able to be read on line only. I can't remember why. The book had a statement with it along the lines of this book is not available for your device but you can read it on line.
It could simply be that your device is no longer supported as well. Apparently B&N is cutting off support for the older devices.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #1385
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tas03 View Post
Could it be it was something like the Harry Potter Enhanced Edition that an e-ink device couldn't support? That's my guess.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #1386
seacity1
Zealot
seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 Edition,Nook HD+, Nook Color, Nook ST & Ipad3
As of today 6/29 Nook for PC still working (win 8.1) & was able to future proof a new book.
seacity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #1387
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the report, seacity! I was going to grab a freebie just to see, but hadn't yet.

I remember when they first introduced reading your books in the browser (Nook for Web), they gave away some books to promote it. But those were downloadable too.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:21 PM   #1388
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

I checked Nook Study this morning also and was happy until I reread what the announcement actually said and think maybe we won't be sure until tomorrow: After June 29th, 2018, if your NOOK Device is not updated to meet these new TLS security standards, you will not be able to make any purchases, or download and manage your NOOK Content from your NOOK Device.
lkmiller - I agree about B&N's ability to shoot themselves in the foot. I can't log into their site with either Firefox or Chrome any more, but have to use a Windows one, and some times that can take up to six tries before it finally works. I have never had to attempt to sign in to Amazon more than once.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #1389
lkmiller
Laura

Wasn't sure if it would be today or tomorrow. The email I received about my Nook 1st Edition said "as of June 29." That's packed away who knows where so I can't check it.

Never had any issue signing in with Chrome, but their website is often frustrating in other ways.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #1390
tas03
Zealot

Well, the 29th has come and gone. I find myself in a good news/bad news situation. The good news is on my main machine, which runs Windows 7, Nook Study still works. It synced, let me download a book I bought earlier in the week & had physically removed the epub from the download folder, and let me download the free book I bought this morning. The bad news comes from a older machine with XP that I use as a backup and for playing games that don't play well with Windows 7 and for my iPod Classic files and running the best printer I have ever had [and I am sure at this point someone will tell me how they would never do anything that stupid as to still be using 7 let alone XP]. Nook for PC on the XP machine will not sync and will not let me download that book I bought earlier in the week and had not downloaded. When I try I get a network error. I tried running Nook Study but when I tried to log in, it also gave me a network error. I ended up emailing the epubs to the older machine. At least I don't have to run out this afternoon and buy a Windows 10 machine.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #1391
Dob43
Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Classic
Well for me, Nook for PC no longer works. I try to sync and it says it does, but a new book is not shown. It also won't download any books. I haven't tried Nook Study again. It stopped working for me awhile ago and I had to uninstall it for some reason (forget why). I will dig up the install file and see if it works.

Someone mentioned their Nook Color having the latest update, that is because they were pushing out the updates to all models except for the Nook 1st Edition. That they are leaving behind. I'm sure they COULD have updated the firmware but chose not to.

Some of us are still using using windows 7 and hate 8 and 10 (although 8 is mangeable with a few tweaks if necessary) . So that is not really an option. Thanks for all the research Difflugia. I was wondering about Nook for Android. I also have a nook NT, and while they are updating it, I rooted mine to get a better launcher (the default B&N one is not very good) and install other apps. If I use their new update, it will remove my root. BUT on the good side, someone over at XDA tested the B&N update and the old tools for 4.3 still work. I haven't got around to doing the update myself but I will at some point.

I just installed Nook For Android on my NT and it is enough to get the files that way for the moment until I have time to dig out my tools to rehack my NT (but I will do a Nandroid backup to be safe).
Dob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #1392
tas03
Zealot

Dob...I had Nook for PC quit working on my Windows 7 machine a while back, which is why I was using Nook Study on it and Nook for PC on the other. I left the older one with Nook for PC because I was afraid to mess with it.
Nook for PC just stopped working one morning on the newer machine, giving me the network error message when I started it.
Sigh...the tribulations we go through to stay with B&N.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:49 PM   #1393
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Nook Study on my Linux Mint under wine works sync's, archived, unarchived and downloaded a new book.

Nook for PC on my Windows 10 tablet works,sync's, archived, unarchived and downloaded a new book.

My Nook STR will not sync, download books or go to shop. Which does not worry me at all since I side-load all content.

bernie

See my trick for Nook Study Login Here
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:19 AM   #1394
lkmiller
Laura

Nook for PC and Nookstudy are still working for me to archive, unarchive, and download a fresh copy of the unarchived book. Haven't gotten a new book to try yet.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #1395
tas03
Zealot

What is a Nook STR?