Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #1336
uwndrd
uwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-books

Device: K3, K4, PRS-650
Hi, guys. Does anyone know, is there any way to change duokan system fonts? I mean menu font. It's not changeable through settings (only reading fonts are changeable), and replacing the chinese font files (i guess, they are the ones that cause me problems) in userfonts with Arial lead nowhere.
What i want to do is to make russian menus readable. While i don't really care about menu itself, it's dictionary that boggles me. Dictionary is the only place where i need russian, and all the letters have huuuuge margin, which makes reading those highly unpleasant.
Has anyone done it? Could something be dont through SSH?
uwndrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #1337
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
We do not hack on closed source applications here, try the Duokan site forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #1338
caibbor
caibbor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I'm quite interested in installing Duokan on my Kindle 3 simply for the PDF reading features. Most of the information I find about Duokan is for old versions or in other languages, so I have a few questions.

1.) Is Duokan 2013 the latest version?

2.) Where can I find a complete list of enhancements and drawbacks that Duokan will add to my Kindle 3? The Wiki has some of this info but DJVU is said to be supported and not listed on the wiki...

3.) Is it possible to uninstall Duokan?

4.) What is the odds that I might "brick" my device by attempting to either install or uninstall Duokan?

Last edited by caibbor; 12-06-2013 at 04:33 PM.
caibbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #1339
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by caibbor View Post
1.) Is Duokan 2013 the latest version?
Yes, but every week a new version of Duokan 2013 is released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caibbor View Post
3.) Is it possible to uninstall Duokan?
Yes, via a menu item.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #1340
caibbor
caibbor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Thank you, that helps a bit.

I saw in an older version (2012 I think) that 3G was not and will never be supported (or maybe that there just isn't a browser), so that as well as the amazon store only accessible through the stock firmware. Is that still the case?

And does Duokan include the same parental controls as in the 3.4 KK firmware?

Last edited by caibbor; 12-06-2013 at 04:04 PM.
caibbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #1341
Motal
Motal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi guys, i tried to google, I tried to search in this thread, but i'm hopeless. I thought, that Duokan supports sending documents in the same way as classic Kindle OS: For example, I have a .docx document and I want to send it to my Kindle. If i send it to my amazon kindle mail, it will convert to .azw3 and i can read it. But if I send it to my duokan mail adress, it will do nothing. I think that the Kindle will receive this file, because i can find it in a DK_Sync folder, but i can't see it in my Duokan. So here are my questions:

1. Does Duokan supports docx sent via e-mail? Is it possible to send it via email the same way as it is done in classic amazon OS?
2. Does Duokan supports reading .azw3 files? I've found in this thread, that azw3 is basically .mobi file and only thing I need to do is rename it. But if i do so, the text in the file is broken somehow (well, I dunno if it is because i'm czech and we use a lot of č ž ř etc.)

If I use chrome extensions like push to kindle or send to kindle, i will receive article without any problems. But I would like to send my own documents to my kindle, so, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any informations and advices (and sorry for mistakes in this post )
Motal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #1342
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motal View Post
but i'm hopeless.
Forget Duokan, use KindlePDFViewer.
What feature Duokan does have that KindlePDFViewer doesn't ?
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #1343
Motal

Well, because i dont know that app, I, logically, cannot answer your question. But, does it have evernote support?
Old 12-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #1344
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Forget Duokan, use KindlePDFViewer.
What feature Duokan does have that KindlePDFViewer doesn't ?
Closed sourceness (evil).
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #1345
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motal View Post
Well, because i dont know that app, I, logically, cannot answer your question. But, does it have evernote support?
Check it here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047
It's a document reading application so it probably won't help you to write notes online.
Try browsing to evernote.com with the experimental browser instead.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #1346
Motal

Thanks, i already checked it out and i'll definitely try it. However, i kinda like Duokan, even tho it doesnt support doc format and not everything is translated in there. But i'll definitely give KPV a shot.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #1347
doudou1408
doudou1408 will become famous soon enoughdoudou1408 will become famous soon enoughdoudou1408 will become famous soon enoughdoudou1408 will become famous soon enoughdoudou1408 will become famous soon enoughdoudou1408 will become famous soon enough

Device: Paperwhite 2
I think Duokan for PW2 is released :

http://bbs.xiaomi.cn/thread-8955274-1-1.html

I'll test it in 20-30 minutes and give my feedbacks here.

Edit : Paperwhite 2 5.4.2 bought on Amazon France.

Install is so easy... no problem for the moment, and have a lot of pleasure to use this release

Edit2 : For me, this Duokan is much faster than original OS. And i love to add fonts easily and play with numbers of settings. There are many languages available like English, Russian, Chinese. Looks like it's stable for the moment.

Last edited by doudou1408; 12-20-2013 at 07:10 AM.
doudou1408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #1348
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Because I am curious by nature, I did install the new 5.0 version on both my Paperwhites (1 and 2).

So far it has been stable, I have used it mostly with epubs but it does a nice job with PDFs too. The menu translation to english is incomplete, so the whole syncing aspect (email to kindle, sync of bookmarks, and so on) is not super clear to me yet.

It also seems to have a function similar to the flashcards on the kindle original OS, but how this works is still a mystery to me too.

Dictionaries work OK, which is very important to me and is the reason why I am looking for an alternative to KOReader.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #1349
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou1408 View Post
I think Duokan for PW2 is released :

http://bbs.xiaomi.cn/thread-8955274-1-1.html

- - - -

Install is so easy... no problem for the moment, and have a lot of pleasure to use this release
It is, and is advertised on the site as an easier install on all touch devices.

And, yes - they are using the "poison filename" technique released here.

And, of course - zero credit for where they got it from.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #1350
readreadread
readreadread began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post

Dictionaries work OK, which is very important to me and is the reason why I am looking for an alternative to KOReader.
Hi i installed the new version of Duokan (20/12/2013 release)
It works fantastically with pdf.

I am still looking for how to enable other dictionary, I uploaded many files in the \DK_System\xKindle\res\dict that was populated originally only by the Oxford gb formatted.dict/idx/idx.oft/ifo

I copied some stardict format dictionary but they all lack of the idx.odt file the just have the dict.dz/idx/ifo files.

But beside these differences I don't find on the menu settings where enable these dictionary.

OT. Since I have the new PW2 JB I want to prevent Amazon to upgrade my firmware, have I to install the loophole hack to prevent this even on this version ?

Thanks guys!
readreadread is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf