Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: July 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien 17 13.08%
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik 13 10.00%
The Deed of Paksenarrion: The Sheepfarmer's Daughter (book 1) by Elizabeth Moon 24 18.46%
Magic Kingdom For Sale — Sold! by Terry Brooks 6 4.62%
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 22 16.92%
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll 8 6.15%
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift 5 3.85%
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien 8 6.15%
The Princess Bride by William Goldman 11 8.46%
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin 16 12.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #121
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I'm up for it. As strange as American Gods is, I'm sure we can have a lively discussion.
We can always have a lively discussion
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #122
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
We can always have a lively discussion
Ain't it the truth!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #123
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I even bought American Gods only because I thought it would win!
If you're like me, you'll find it money well spent. And in my humble opinion, based on the few pages from the winning book that I read, American Gods is not in the same league as far as writing style is concerned.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #124
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
If you're like me, you'll find it money well spent. And in my humble opinion, based on the few pages from the winning book that I read, American Gods is not in the same league as far as writing style is concerned.
Surely you mean the winning book is not in the same league as "American gods"? (i.e. AG has better writing style - at least I think so )
Old 07-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #125
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Ain't it the truth!

Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #126
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You just answered yourself Was that on purpose?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #127
kennyc

Quote:
You just answered yourself Was that on purpose?
Yes it was....for you and Flo!
Old 07-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #128
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Surely you mean the winning book is not in the same league as "American gods"? (i.e. AG has better writing style - at least I think so )
Well yes, I meant that AG is better (way way way better), but both sentences say the same thing
Old 07-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #129
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Well yes, I meant that AG is better (way way way better), but both sentences say the same thing
Perhaps I have an incorrect understanding of the term 'not in the same league', but while they certainly technically (logically) say the same thing, it's my understanding that, for example, 'P is not in the same league as B' implies that P is worse than B - or in a lesser league. So to me, you first said that 'Paksenarrion' was in a higher league than AG.

It's like a double negation, which technically (logically) cancels itself, but it does change the actual meaning of a sentence. Well, it does in Danish - it might be why I apparently got this wrong in English?

BTW, Florence, would you be interested in an AG discussion thread?
Old 07-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #130
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
BTW, Florence, would you be interested in an AG discussion thread?
Well, to be honest, I feel a bit uneasy about "discussing" a book, especially if I liked it I feel that reading is basically a private experience, and although I love talking about books and sometimes exchanging impressions, I wouldn't have much to say in a discussion centered on one book, especially a work of fiction. But I could try
Old 07-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #131
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
If there's enough people interested in reading and discussing "American Gods", I wouldn't mind starting a discussion thread in, say, 2 or 3 weeks?
Sorry, I'm not even interested in reading it. I only bought it because I thought it would win. It will probably languish in my To Be Read folder for the next five years. It may be a great book, but I need a huge push to read fantasy. The only reason I'm over a third of the way through The Sheepfarmer's Daughter is because of the Club.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #132
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
It's like a double negation, which technically (logically) cancels itself, but it does change the actual meaning of a sentence. Well, it does in Danish - it might be why I apparently got this wrong in English?
Too many people assuming that the rules of Boolean logic apply to English. They don't. In English double negatives are often used for emphasis.

However, the use of double negatives in English is now generally considered improper, and is occasionally ambiguous.

So don't use no double negatives.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #133
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
T..

So don't use no double negatives.
That should be, "So don't never use no double negatives."
Old 07-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #134
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
Quote:
It may be a great book, but I need a huge push to read fantasy.
Both Gaiman and his friend, Terry Pratchett, use the fantasy genre in ways that raise the game considerably. And they are a lot funnier than the usual fantasy writers are. Their collaboration on 'Good Omens' is a wonderful book. Pratchett's writings should appeal to the philosopher in you: "Small Gods" is perhaps one of the best pieces of (anti)theological writing of the last fifty years. If Dennet, Dawkins and co had his lightness of touch, they'd make a lot more headway.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #135
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Well, to be honest, I feel a bit uneasy about "discussing" a book, especially if I liked it I feel that reading is basically a private experience, and although I love talking about books and sometimes exchanging impressions, I wouldn't have much to say in a discussion centered on one book, especially a work of fiction. But I could try
That's perfectly fine - and thanks for explaining why I only wanted to find out if there were any basis for starting a discussion thread about it. So far it's only one more than me.