Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #121
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
What about academic papers? Can you make some pictures of how the reader handles a document like this ? I'm intersted in the first and second page.
I tried to display the document on the DR800S. Without cropping the empty margins, it is nearly unreadable (first picture). But if I crop the margins of the PDF with a tool, the print is small but readable (second picture).

Reflowing the PDF is not an option, in that case the formatting of all formulas is gone.

But cropping the margins with an extra tool for every PDF is unnecessary extra work, which the reader itself could do with a software update.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800SPaper.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	44025   Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800SPaperCrop.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	44026  
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #122
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
@DeReader - would you be so kind as to do some battery testing as well?
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #123
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by professzore View Post
Thanks for the replies.
First of all, I'm looking something with extraordinary image quality, good ePUB support, 16 shades of gray, "8 inch in a 6 inch body" or something very similar. And one hand oparation (held in hand, page turning forward), both for right and left hand.
Based on your personal experiences, how can DR800 meets these requirements?

TIA,
Professzore
Quite frankly, for the moment I'm still a bit disappointed by iRex 800.
I simply compare to Sony 900 and (so far) I can't find any real arguments for a difference in prices of 40% (€ 500 vs. $ 400).
But on its own, it certainly is a great unit.

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-22-2010 at 10:25 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #124
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
agreed, the DR800S is expensive. But unless you picked up your Sony 900 at a BestBuy store personally and took it with you back home, the Sony 900 will cost a lot more. A rough estimate transfers dollars into euros on 1:1 ratio, if sales tax, VAT, import duties etc are included. Products in the US are without VAT. So it is more a 20% difference.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #125
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
agreed, the DR800S is expensive. But unless you picked up your Sony 900 at a BestBuy store personally and took it with you back home, the Sony 900 will cost a lot more. A rough estimate transfers dollars into euros on 1:1 ratio, if sales tax, VAT, import duties etc are included. Products in the US are without VAT. So it is more a 20% difference.
In total, my Sony 900 was € 340 (ordered from the US). Okay, that's 32%.
In the very worst case, Sony 900 would add up to € 380. Still 25%.
There are tons of workarounds, for example colleagues from the US buying and sending as a gift.
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #126
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
But with the iLiad you had a hierarchical folder system, even better than the categories most others (like sony) offers on its readers. So the concept clearly occurred to iRex, and earlier than most others at that ... so the question is why they didn't think it was necessary now?
The first thought that occurs to me is that this is simply one more indicator of the chaotic and undisciplined corporate culture at this company. It's almost as if you had a couple of programmers over in one room working on the DR1000S, and then when the company came up with the DR800 idea, they took another couple of programmers and told them to write the software for it, and it simply never occurred to anyone to have the two teams of programmers work together to build on a common software engineering architecture.

It's like the omission of the dictionary: I mean, really, how hard could it possibly be to write a simple dictionary lookup and display interface? What would something like that take a reasonably talented and experienced programmer? Maybe a few hours for the rough code and a day or two to polish it up? Yet they couldn't manage to get even this simple functionality finished in time for a 3-month-late release?

And jumping to a specific page number? Good God, a high-school kid could bang out about 10 lines of C code to make that work before he finished breakfast. It's just weird not to have that available.

All of this plus things like leaving out the rather basic idea of a folder-style organizational capability for a device that is intended to store hundreds or thousands of items just points to the fact that no one up there at iRex actually sits down to think and plan things out - everything starts with a great idea, and then they just seem to randomly cobble a chaotic mess of modules together to make the idea work and get it out the door. Then they spend a year or two trying to patch up that mess, until the next great idea comes down and they basically abandon everything that came before.

An odd company. I would love to see what a disciplined, organized company such as Apple could do with the starting-point design of the DR800. I'm sure the finished product would be an unbelievable reader. (Don't read that wrong, I'm not plugging for their forthcoming tablet - that'll be LCD based, and I'm not interested in reading books on a LCD screen at all).

Last edited by cmdahler; 01-22-2010 at 08:58 AM.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #127
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
The first thought that occurs to me is that this is simply one more indicator of the chaotic and undisciplined corporate culture at this company. It's almost as if you had a couple of programmers over in one room working on the DR1000S, and then when the company came up with the DR800 idea, they took another couple of programmers and told them to write the software for it, and it simply never occurred to anyone to have the two teams of programmers work together to build on a common software engineering architecture.

It's like the omission of the dictionary: I mean, really, how hard could it possibly be to write a simple dictionary lookup and display interface? What would something like that take a reasonably talented and experienced programmer? Maybe a few hours for the rough code and a day or two to polish it up? Yet they couldn't manage to get even this simple functionality finished in time for a 3-month-late release?

And jumping to a specific page number? Good God, a high-school kid could bang out about 10 lines of C code to make that work before he finished breakfast. It's just weird not to have that available.

All of this plus things like leaving out the rather basic idea of a folder-style organizational capability for a device that is intended to store hundreds or thousands of items just points to the fact that no one up there at iRex actually sits down to think and plan things out - everything starts with a great idea, and then they just seem to randomly cobble a chaotic mess of modules together to make the idea work and get it out the door. Then they spend a year or two trying to patch up that mess, until the next great idea comes down and they basically abandon everything that came before.

An odd company. I would love to see what a disciplined, organized company such as Apple could do with the starting-point design of the DR800. I'm sure the finished product would be an unbelievable reader. (Don't read that wrong, I'm not plugging for their forthcoming tablet - that'll be LCD based, and I'm not interested in reading books on a LCD screen at all).
Apple??? Really????????
It took them about 1 year to implement "copy and paste" in their so called "business phone"....
But Apple definitely has great marketing.

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-22-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #128
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeReader View Post
I tried to display the document on the DR800S. Without cropping the empty margins, it is nearly unreadable (first picture). But if I crop the margins of the PDF with a tool, the print is small but readable (second picture).

Reflowing the PDF is not an option, in that case the formatting of all formulas is gone.

But cropping the margins with an extra tool for every PDF is unnecessary extra work, which the reader itself could do with a software update.
what tool did you use? i'm interested how long it takes. also, would it be too much if i asked you to take a photo of that page near the actual a4 print? the text seems readable in both of your pictures, but i don't have a real reference to figure it out. also, the ability to display this kind of documents weighs about 90% in my decision to buy an e-reader, so it's very important to me. thank you very much.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #129
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've seen it. No idea, why quality of the pics is that bad. I certainly have bad lighting conditions here, but still it should be better. Theoretically, it's a great camera (Sony DSC-F707). I'll try again later on...
mgmueller,

It's just a matter of the white-balance setting of the camera being off a bit and making a blue caste.

I took a copy and have adjusted the colors so that the blue doesn't take over.

I did that only for the 2nd picture which shows the iRex and the Kindle DX together, since I have a better idea what the DX looks like, color-wise. than I do with the iRex (having never seen one).

It's at http://bit.ly/irex800

I have to add that even the DX is too small in Portrait mode for PDFs with smaller fonts; I usually turn it to Landscape mode.

If Amazon would pay Adobe for whatever type of Digital Edition licensing it takes to allow editing of it, they'd have a lot more clout in the business/academic market. I have to assume they need time to program how that editing is done of course.

I have a review on the iRex's 1000s model which complains that the navigation is awkward sometimes in that it takes 9 steps to close a file.

So far, I've been partial to the Que for serious business reading and editing mainly because of the way they're handling all the other formats.

- Andrys

Last edited by andrys; 01-22-2010 at 09:36 AM.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #130
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Apple??? Really????????
It took them about 1 year to implement "copy and paste" in their so called "business phone"....
But Apple definitely has great marketing.
I actually understood that one, believe it or not. In its first vision, I don't think even Apple understood fully what the iPhone would become to most people. It wasn't originally envisioned as a palm-sized computer with editing capabilities, thus no one considered that copy-paste would be important or necessary to anyone using it. However, when it became more clear what the customers were turning the device into and what they wanted from it, Apple just took the ball and ran with it. I'm certainly not saying that Apple is a perfect company - far from it. But you must admit they show many more signs of being organized and disciplined throughout their entire corporate culture than, say, iRex.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #131
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Mgmueller, thanks for sharing your impressions.
By the way, you have been mentioned in an article at slashgear.com:
http://www.slashgear.com/irex-dr800s...pping-2270988/
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #132
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
There are tons of workarounds, for example colleagues from the US buying and sending as a gift.
It is possible for customs to require you to pay import taxes for gifts, though.

Last edited by zerospinboson; 01-22-2010 at 09:47 AM.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #133
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
I actually understood that one, believe it or not. In its first vision, I don't think even Apple understood fully what the iPhone would become to most people. It wasn't originally envisioned as a palm-sized computer with editing capabilities, thus no one considered that copy-paste would be important or necessary to anyone using it. However, when it became more clear what the customers were turning the device into and what they wanted from it, Apple just took the ball and ran with it. I'm certainly not saying that Apple is a perfect company - far from it. But you must admit they show many more signs of being organized and disciplined throughout their entire corporate culture than, say, iRex.
You must be kidding Even simple SE, Nokia etc. phones have copy/paste functions. Isn't it a double standard? It's ok for an iphone not to have basic functions - but wrong for an irex device?

Last edited by myprecious; 01-22-2010 at 10:07 AM.
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #134
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
iRex put up the manuals for the DR800S on the support website... now you don't need to download the complete firmware file (68 MB), to have a look...

Last edited by pauli; 01-22-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: firmware filesize
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #135
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
It is interesting that IREX got the dr800s to market so late, given that IREX is not starting from a blank slate with the DR800x since it's not really anything they haven't already done: it's based on the OS and SDK used by the DR1000x and they have much experience with the 8" form factor. Of course, the existing OS could be in such a poor state that any significant change to it leads to disaster.

Granted, switching to the adobe engine is new, but other companies have that in place in new readers and update for older readers already.

I really think that IREX only has one or two programmers and at least one of them is a green replacement for the veteran one that got tired of the stagnation and left. I know that they had to outsource the port of the webkit browser.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irex 800