Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #121
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Don't worry kindlekitten, that's the treament I got a few days ago - you're not alone The ignore list is certainly a wonderful thing
apparently so! my PM box is filling up with similar comments from others!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep.

like it's 1884!!! w00t! (or something!)

Quote:
Whoooo!
w00t w00t!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #122
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post

like it's 1884!!! w00t! (or something!)

Hee-Hee
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #123
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
HOWEVER, you only get to browse what the bricks and mortar store HAS in STOCK. You don't get to order 5 into the store and then pick and choose. Since Amazon has a much larger stock than most brick stores, you can't really apply a comparison. If this person had access to all those books at a brick store, he could have done what you suggested. Instead, he took advantage of Amazon's larger inventory--and browsed and returned. Not exactly apples to apples.
I don't expect the comparison to be exact. But it's close enough, I think for pointing out that the behavior is assumed by Amazon to be nefarious, when it's entirely possible that it isn't.

It should be entirely possible for Amazon to allow people to "check out" a book to browse. If the library can do it for three weeks, Amazon could do it for the 15 or 20 minutes it would take to see if a book fit your needs.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #124
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
No, but the samples are likely to reveal formatting issues. After all, how likley is it that formatting errors will just happen to avoid the first chapter?
Maybe. But Sony doesn't seem to offer samples.

In point of fact, I tend to download the Kindle sample on my iPhone, to decide if I'm going to buy the same book on Sony for my reader. Not sure that formatting errors would show up in that cross platform situation.

For example, I recently bought a Sony book in which some of the fonts respond to the button that makes the font larger, and some of the fonts (italics) don't respond. The Amazon sample, on my iphone, does not reveal that defect. OTOH, it clearly shows that the text is fully justified on Amazon, and looks terrible at the large font. Not so much at smaller fonts.

Last edited by Harmon; 12-20-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #125
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:

Personally, I never use one-click because I like the feeling of security I get when I review the order before it's sent. Not that that always work; I once accidently ordered 2 of each book (p-books) - but the seller was great at changing the amounts immediately
Yep. Plus you have an opportunity to select which address it's going to, and which card you are using.

I found one-click to be a personal disaster - I want ALL books, so with one-click I bought a lot more than I should have. These days, I let my book purchases age in the shopping cart for a day or two before actually buying them.
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #126
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
It's more to do with the way Wikipedia is run (which is a farce), Harry, than it's value as a resource (which is considerable, given a pinch of salt)
I find Wikipedia a good source for a quick & dirty reference about matters which are not normally subject to dispute. I also point to it when it correctly states something which I independently know to be correct, or at least to share my perception of what is correct, to save me the time of typing it all in somewhere.

But on any matter which is contentious, be it Barrack Obama or Sarah Palin, global warming or the war on terror, it simply can't be trusted.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #127
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
I'm about as far as they come from a corporate shill.
In fact, so far that your forum name is incorporating that of a company's product. Very convincing. And your inability to own up to your own actions in attacking me is just sad...yet, I'm supposed to be the one being aggressive? Just lol. <changes title>

(and yes, that is sarcasm, for the record)

Harmon - Oh yea, not disputing that at all, and I'm certainly not going to claim I don't use Wikipedia for references at times. It's just I won't get involved with Wikipedia editing (and I've seen some howlers) because of the management mess. Which I think is a reasonable stance.

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 12-20-2009 at 06:07 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #128
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
What I love is that folks are bitching about Amazon not taking any further returns from folks while other ebook retailers like Sony and Barnes & Nobles will not accept returns AT ALL! In comparison I would say that Amazon seems more than reasonable.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #129
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Connallmac - Well sure, but... there's no point really commenting directly since they don't sell to the UK and if they want to use regional restrictions not to sell to me, I'm quite willing not to give them my money.

But Amazon will, so... I'd prefer their returns policy be written. That's all.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:11 AM   #130
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
In fact, so far that your forum name is incorporating that of a company's product. Very convincing. And your inability to own up to your own actions in attacking me is just sad...yet, I'm supposed to be the one being aggressive? Just lol. <changes title>

(and yes, that is sarcasm, for the record)

Harmon - Oh yea, not disputing that at all, and I'm certainly not going to claim I don't use Wikipedia for references at times. It's just I won't get involved with Wikipedia editing (and I've seen some howlers) because of the management mess. Which I think is a reasonable stance.
the name started out as a JOKE. and you are a cranky old fart
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #131
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Thanks for the belly laugh.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:35 AM   #132
DawnFalcon
Banned

Quote:
I also don't have ESP to figure out why you think the name's a joke. Seriously, if there's a good rebuttal to something I say, just go ahead and point it out, like the cancel screen for Kindle orders. Trying to just brush legitimate concerns off is far less effective, afaik.

*shrugs*

And I keep forgetting Americans have no sense of sarchasm, my bad.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:57 AM   #133
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Ah.

You see, this hadn't actually been mentioned. I don't (and won't) have a Kindle, and I was fully expecting it to work like the Amazon website (which I don't think is an unreasonable expectation), in that when you hit buy your card's already credited and if you'd ordered software, tough luck on cancelling.

Scratch that complaint then.

scveteran - Yes, but by Amazons standard, it's 30 books ever, unless their policy has changed. This is why written returns policys are good, and bluntly if there are serious flaws I don't care anyway - I have a legal right to return the book, and when I have to anticipate having to take legal action to do so...at some point (even a decade down the line), well, it's offputting. When the store is so tightly integrated? It's a blocker.

Are you guessing on the the 30 books ever?? It sounds to me that you are since you don't know if their policy changed, and other posts have questioned what the actual policy is. Also the TS, mentioned that 30 is a low number. So before I take you at your word here, please provide a link to the policy.

However, I really don't care if the policy is a fixed 30 books ever. I can see no rational basis for the company to eat a lot of extra costs due to misbehavior on the part of the customer. And to me, I can't see anything but misbehavior on the part of a customer who has to get 30 or more seperate refunds.

I think that anyone who considers legal actions possibly a decade down the road to return a book is not thinking clearly. This just doesn't seem rational to me. Can you explain that comment? Maybe I am missing something or misreading you.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:08 AM   #134
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Last time I ordered something from Amazon they doubled my order... It was a 2-piece thing on dog training... They sent me 2 and charged me for 2.. I was annoyed, but didn't send anything back... In fact I didn't even email them about it...

I thought the time/effort/frustration/price was too much to deal with...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:08 AM   #135
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Well of course you can't answer, you didn't like my answer (because it wasn't the party line). I'm SO SORRY I want a written policy on returns, omg!

Fair warning at this point - if you make another personal attack like the last one, you're going on ignore for being a corporate shill.

TallMomof2 - Ah. Wasn't as of two years ago when a friend accidentally did an order (when he intended to wishlist). Is that for physical goods, or software as well?
What personal attack? I saw no comment from her that was a personal attack. I know you claimed the same thing about me earlier when I didn't make a personal attack against you. I would ask that you calm down and not get so upset.

Also, just because people don't agree with you, doesn't mean that they are a corporate shill.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote