Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2022, 03:18 PM   #121
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
On my Libra 2, pinch to change font does work with ePub.
Confirmed. Definitely working on my Libra 2 and epub
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:58 PM   #122
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, worked on Elipsa, Libra (original) and Sage on epub. But I have put the Sage back to 4.32.x again as the Advanced notebooks unstable on ALL later versions and this one.

I also turned it off as pointless compared to tap in middle, Aa menu and adjust font size. Too big a change.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2022, 08:11 PM   #123
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by readologist View Post
If it were quantized it would be far more useful. As it is now, it is difficult to achieve a reproducible font setting repeatedly.
I never understand that. I don't size the font to some artificial number. I size it to look right for me. The size I use is different on each device, so I would need to remember all of those numbers. That's the same for other apps as well. Word and the like only have sizes, but, I experiment until I get something that looks right compared to the rest of the text.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 08:49 PM   #124
readologist
Enthusiast
readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I never understand that. I don't size the font to some artificial number. I size it to look right for me. The size I use is different on each device, so I would need to remember all of those numbers. That's the same for other apps as well. Word and the like only have sizes, but, I experiment until I get something that looks right compared to the rest of the text.
That's not the meaning of quantized. Quantized means that only discrete values are allowed. By doing that reproducibility may be assured. If any value is allowed, there are an infinite number of "steps" thus making it difficult to get the same value repeatedly
readologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:40 PM   #125
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readologist View Post
That's not the meaning of quantized. Quantized means that only discrete values are allowed. By doing that reproducibility may be assured. If any value is allowed, there are an infinite number of "steps" thus making it difficult to get the same value repeatedly
The font settings do use discrete values. And I would assume that the pinch gesture was only selecting from the same set of values. Are you seeing something else? Are you seeing font sizes using pinch that are not available from the slider in the settings?

But, I don't see how this affects what I said. I said, I adjust the font to what feels right for me. It doesn't matter if the exact same font size is used each time. I'm interested in making the reading comfortable under my current conditions (ambient light, tiredness, whatever is in the book, etc.) not some supposedly "perfect" font size. I do treat the light level in the same. I adjust that frequently during the day depending on what is needed at that time. That is largely about where I am and what the ambient light levels are, but, how my eyes feel also affects it. I don't adjust font size very often, but when I need to, I will adjust it a few times until it seems right.
Advert
Old 08-01-2022, 06:20 AM   #126
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I would guess that you are an outlier.

I imagine that there are other people like myself who usually use the same reading environments and the same device, so usually just change between the same font sizes. For me, I normally change back and forth between 2 font sizes. In the morning, it is toggle dark mode and bump the font size down 2. In the evening, it is toggle dark mode and bump the font size up 2.

Seems rather simple to understand?

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:48 AM   #127
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I also don't care about the numbers. The only time I care about the numbers is when I can't get the UI to do what I want and numbers is the only way to force it.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:51 AM   #128
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

I imagine that there are other people like myself who usually use the same reading environments and the same device, so usually just change between the same font sizes. For me, I normally change back and forth between 2 font sizes. In the morning, it is toggle dark mode and bump the font size down 2. In the evening, it is toggle dark mode and bump the font size up 2.

Seems rather simple to understand?
So, are you saying that you went out and worked out what the font size you needed was and then worked out were on the slider that was and used it. Or entered the number in the config file so that you didn't have to trust to the vagaries of the using the slider.

No, you didn't. You did what I did and played around with the font until you got something you like. Then you started using that. And found you need to adjust it at other times.

You misunderstood what I said, as apparently I misunderstood what @readologist. There seems to be a desire to have numbers next to all the settings. I don't see much real benefit. Most of the numbers don't carry over to other devices. I think choosing what fits you best at the time, and not worrying that it isn't your "normal" is a better way to work.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:51 AM   #129
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

No, you didn't. You did what I did and played around with the font until you got something you like. Then you started using that. And found you need to adjust it at other times.
You could put it that way. I look at it as I have two fixed settings I would like to switch back and forth from. The initial UI is great for finding the initial settings, but after that it would be nice to have a way to switch back and forth from those 2 fixed settings. I am not moving the slider each time trying to find what works best; I do that only once when I get a new device, and after that I just need to toggle back and forth between 2 settings.

Quote:
... You misunderstood what I said, as apparently I misunderstood what @readologist. There seems to be a desire to have numbers next to all the settings. I don't see much real benefit. Most of the numbers don't carry over to other devices. I think choosing what fits you best at the time, and not worrying that it isn't your "normal" is a better way to work.
Again, you mention multiple devices. Maybe @readologist doesn't have multiple devices. Or maybe he has 2 devices, but keeps one at the same settings and only needs to adjust the other.

If you only have 2 times (like me), and the settings are the same 99% of the time, wouldn't it be easier for me if the UI made it easier to get to those two settings? For me, being able to use the +/- on the font size dialog works OK (because the font sizes are fairly close).

I can appreciate that something works well for you, but I can also understand how other people might want something that works better for them.

Or maybe Kobo could make there UI more consistent? Why are there numbers on brightness? I don't use audiobooks, but I would guess that the volume control on audiobooks has some sort of number?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #130
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
IIRC, doesn’t Kindle allow you to save custom font settings so that you can easily invoke them? Can’t remember if it included font size and weight, but I thought it did. That would be a nice Kobo addition.
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:17 AM   #131
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
For what it's worth, the fact that Kobo shows font size via an abstract slider instead of a number is a minor annoyance to me. A number allows for easy repeatability.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:57 AM   #132
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
For what it's worth, the fact that Kobo shows font size via an abstract slider instead of a number is a minor annoyance to me. A number allows for easy repeatability.
Not really, because the same font size number is a different physical size according to font selected by publisher or user.
It's an issue for people formatting paper or ebooks or websites when say decorative, script (rather than italic) serif, sans or monospace text needs to be mixed. Also while an oblique font is merely a slanted version of the normal font, a true italic font isn't – some italic fonts of the same family have different styling on a or g or numbers or height of descenders etc.

I do care about the numbers when formatting for paper, web or ebook, but when reading an ebook I just jiggle the sliders to get the appearance I want. Sometimes the - & + don't step as desired.
Actually a font doesn't come in every size at 1pt or 1/12th em steps, the requested size is rendered from the nearest available. It's not impossible that the - & + only use steps that actually exist and the slider allows inbetween, but I'm guessing.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-01-2022 at 12:02 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:51 PM   #133
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
That's assuming that the book doesn't set a font size. Then it either can't be overriden, or the size the device uses will be a multiplier of what is in the book.

And I do not understand what is not repeatable about "set the font size so it works right now".
Old 08-01-2022, 09:43 PM   #134
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
That's assuming that the book doesn't set a font size. Then it either can't be overriden, or the size the device uses will be a multiplier of what is in the book.
Or you remove that font size from the css before loading the book on the device.

As all my ebooks have the same font size in the css, I too would prefer specific size numbers for easier switching between fonts. Not that I switch often; still, it would be nice to have.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:53 AM   #135
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Or you remove that font size from the css before loading the book on the device.

As all my ebooks have the same font size in the css, I too would prefer specific size numbers for easier switching between fonts. Not that I switch often; still, it would be nice to have.
I don't always edit the book. For some sources, or if I need to do a conversion, I always edit them before reading, but, for others, I sort it out when I start reading and find issues. I do read the copy of purchased books downloaded to the device and only go to the sideloaded version if there is something bad in the formatting. An unchangeable font size would trigger this, but, if I can adjust the size on the device to what I like, then I will read it. I sometime fix the copy of these books in my library, but, don't bother putting the on the device. If I do edit the book, I will normalise the font so that it will size properly on the device.

Tags
firmware, firmware release