Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-24-2022, 05:26 AM   #121
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Libra Color, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Since this version I noticed several USB errors during connection with my PC. The warnings were about a possible corrupt drive, after connection. No real problems were noticed. Kobo DB was ok. It always happens after the sending via calibre of epubs, disconnecting, and then reconnecting again to update the DB. Noticed on Clara HD and Libra H2O.
Update: USB connection is unreliable, though it seems not to corrupt the kobo DB as far as I can determine.
I decided to return to FW 4.30.18838 which seems to have solved the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Evidence.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	191838  
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:07 AM   #122
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
Could anyone please see if they have fixed the Bluetooth (and or WiFi) that would turn on if you looked at the menu setting to turn them on (but didn't actually turn it on, it just activated by itself)?

I think it affected Libra 2 and Sage. I was hoping thus one would get a quick fix.
ON the Elipsa on FW it updated to on 1st WiFi connection the Bluetooth was only under Beta and no way to see if on or off.
I updated to FW 4.30.18838 and BT now has it's own page under settings, except there is only a flicker on page if I tap to turn it on. It was on after update & I turned it off. Now it won't turn on.

But tapping on the BT on/off switch ALWAYS turns on the WiFi on FW 4.30.18838.
So I'm not going to rush to install 4.31.19086 unless that lets you turn on the Bluetooth on the Elipsa.

Does the Screenshot using power button work by adding a config on the 4.31.19086 on an Elipsa?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2022, 06:31 AM   #123
minsik
minsik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O revision 5.
The latest 4.31 apppears to have ruined my index in kobo aura h20. Full power off and then on and many books are missing totally. power down and on again and then they appear again. Never had a problem with index and missing books before with any update.
Initially after update came up and wound not load ANY boook at all complained about all books being DRM! Reboot and seemed to work a while, then had these missing books problem. is there a need to remove index and get it to be recreated for different firmwares?
thanks for any ideas.
minsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:32 AM   #124
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Update: USB connection is unreliable, though it seems not to corrupt the kobo DB as far as I can determine.
I decided to return to FW 4.30.18838 which seems to have solved the problem.
I am still having issues in charging. one of my chargers, the 1A brick does not work with my Libra 2 anymore (it was working in 4.30). Other 2A and above chargers are working and wheen connected to my pc. The 1A charger is working on my other devices like my phones.

And i still cannot make the led light work while charging and the while the device is sleeping.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:11 AM   #125
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HknGrss View Post
Won't this update come automatically (with wifi)? Do we have to install it from the computer?
Kobo Sage.
Kobo releases all updates in phases based on the affiliate and the location. They release to a small affiliate first. After a few days, the expand to more affiliates and then later to the rest. They can also restrict based on your IP address and geolocation. In the past, this could take a month, but, I think it is faster now.

If you don't want to wait, you can change the affiliate to one of the early updaters. Or manually install it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2022, 07:21 AM   #126
HknGrss
Enthusiast
HknGrss began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo releases all updates in phases based on the affiliate and the location. They release to a small affiliate first. After a few days, the expand to more affiliates and then later to the rest. They can also restrict based on your IP address and geolocation. In the past, this could take a month, but, I think it is faster now.

If you don't want to wait, you can change the affiliate to one of the early updaters. Or manually install it.
So what setting do I need to make on Kobo? In which region can I get the update?
HknGrss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:21 AM   #127
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Won't this update come automatically (with wifi)? Do we have to install it from the computer?
Kobo Sage.
If you wait long enough, yes it will install over wifi. There are several methods to get it early, this has been discussed to death elsewhere.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:45 AM   #128
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by minsik View Post
The latest 4.31 apppears to have ruined my index in kobo aura h20. Full power off and then on and many books are missing totally. power down and on again and then they appear again. Never had a problem with index and missing books before with any update.
Initially after update came up and wound not load ANY boook at all complained about all books being DRM! Reboot and seemed to work a while, then had these missing books problem. is there a need to remove index and get it to be recreated for different firmwares?
It is unlikely that the firmware update was the cause of the problem. It is likely that the database was already corrupt and restarting the device would have shown the demonstrated the problem. With a corrupt database, the device can keep running for a while, but, any change made will not be saved (new books, reading status, annotations etc) to the database. When you restart the device, it tries to read the database, but, it will be getting old data.

Seeing this problem after a firmware update is not strictly due to the update. It would have happened if you restarted the device for some other reason.

Unless you have a recent backup of the database, The fix is to sign out of the Kobo account and then back in. That will remove the current database and create a new one. Unfortunately, you will lose the reading status and annotations for sideloaded books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:28 AM   #129
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I just noticed that I can tap on the battery icon while reading to show the battery percentage without going back to the home page. Yay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
This is not new to this firmware, it works the same way in the 4.30.18838 FW and perhaps older ones too though I no longer have any kobo readers with anything older than that to test with.
It didn't work that way with the Elipsa on 4.30.18838 unless you used the stylus with a battery in it. I prefer a plain, non-battery-powered stylus, and could only see the battery percentage by going back to the home page. Now I can see it while inside a book, which is much more convenient.

Last edited by icallaci; 01-24-2022 at 08:34 AM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:10 AM   #130
HknGrss
Enthusiast
HknGrss began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
If you wait long enough, yes it will install over wifi. There are several methods to get it early, this has been discussed to death elsewhere.
Thank you, but I couldn't find any information about it. I could only find information about the manual installation method. I'd rather update via Wifi, changing the Kobo's region settings if possible.

If I install this update manually, will I have to manually install future updates as well?
Or will it continue to receive next updates via Wifi?
HknGrss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:20 AM   #131
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I install this update manually, will I have to manually install future updates as well?
Or will it continue to receive next updates via Wifi?
A manual install has no effect on future OTA/WiFi updates. It's also very simple. I download updates from https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html and then you unzip, put the unzipped files in the Kobo root as seen by USB connection. That site is where I get an older version if I want to go back (not possible on a Kindle). Make sure if you have an H2O that you pick the correct one. Perhaps 4 models have H2O in the name. The Aura HD H2O with SD card slot is the oldest. The two Libras (Original Libra H2O and latested Libra 2) are also different Firmware.
Also Kobo Utilities on Calibre can check for a new version and update the connected Kobo.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-24-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #132
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
It didn't work that way with the Elipsa on 4.30.18838 unless you used the stylus with a battery in it.
Tapping on the battery on older Firmware does nothing.

Quote:
I prefer a plain, non-battery-powered stylus, and could only see the battery percentage by going back to the home page. Now I can see it while inside a book, which is much more convenient.
There are dumb styluses that are just instead of a finger on capacitive touch. If a phone, screen, tablet or ink has a high resolution digitiser then you have no choice. It needs a battery if that's the kind of it. Traditional Wacom stylus is powered from the device, so needs no battery.

There are high resolution touch screens since the late 1980s to now that are resistive, they need a dumb pointy stick/stylus and don't work easily with a finger. Apple popularized the 20 year old capacitive touch on their first iPhone because it was cheap and only needs a finger, but it's still very poor resolution. The resistive touch was used to allow signatures, small GUI elements and annotation, even handwriting recognition because from 1998 to 2007 approximately smart phones (and to an extent PDAs) where corporate due to data cost and reason was data edit/create. The iPhone was primarily data browsing, hence the cheap sensitive finger capacitive touch.

Powering a digitizer stylus from the screen is inefficient, hence the Elipsa using a battery, which lasts probably a month or two. Wacom electronic stylus powered from the tablet/screen is a continuous power drain and intermittent to look for it even if not in use.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:50 PM   #133
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
So what setting do I need to make on Kobo? In which region can I get the update?
Try:

affiliate=Kobo

This seems to be the best - at least for me.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:59 PM   #134
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
I am still having issues in charging. one of my chargers, the 1A brick does not work with my Libra 2 anymore (it was working in 4.30). Other 2A and above chargers are working and wheen connected to my pc. The 1A charger is working on my other devices like my phones.
I have the same issue with my 4A OnePlus charger. Worked with the previous software version, doesn't now. Some other 1A no-name charger does.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:00 PM   #135
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@davidfor can you please comment on the reported font issues for 4.31? Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release