Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #121
Corvus-corax
Corvus-corax began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Does this patch fix the bug in 4.18.13737 that causes the Reading Progress display not to refresh while reading a kepub file?

(On my Forma, the Reading Progress display only shows correct information when I open a book from my book collection. If I continue to read, the Reading Progress display doesn't change, until I close the book and reopen it. This bug seems to have crept in in firmware 4.17. I've downgraded my firmware to 4.15 to avoid this bug, but would like return to 4.18 if this bug has been squashed.)

Thanks!
Corvus-corax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #122
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus-corax View Post
Does this patch fix the bug in 4.18.13737 that causes the Reading Progress display not to refresh while reading a kepub file?

(On my Forma, the Reading Progress display only shows correct information when I open a book from my book collection. If I continue to read, the Reading Progress display doesn't change, until I close the book and reopen it. This bug seems to have crept in in firmware 4.17. I've downgraded my firmware to 4.15 to avoid this bug, but would like return to 4.18 if this bug has been squashed.)

Thanks!
No, this will likely need to be addressed by Kobo.
MGlitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #123
toancv
Connoisseur
toancv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Likebook Mars, Kobo Aura Ed. 2, Kobo Touch
I didn't have any problem with book titles and table of content after patching for previous firmware but my kobo aura does not display the book title and TOC correctly after this patch. Has kobo firmware changed the system fonts? Anybody can help? My books language is Vietnamese. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8d295d836d0a8b54d21b.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	174795   Click image for larger version

Name:	f1f5db42ebcb0d9554da.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	174796  

Last edited by toancv; 11-08-2019 at 09:04 AM.
toancv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #124
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toancv View Post
I didn't have any problem with book titles and table of content after patching for previous firmware but my kobo aura does not display the book title and TOC correctly after this patch. Has kobo firmware changed the system fonts? Anybody can help? My books language is Vietnamese. Thanks in advance!
The Kobo built-in system fonts (Georgia and Avenir) have never been satisfactory in the GUI for Vietnamese users. I'm not aware that anything has changed in this regard in firmware 4.18.13737. So I'm not sure what you've been doing in the past to improve the look of Vietnamese authors/titles/TOC entries in the GUI.

There are some things you can do to improve matters. Read this recent thread for more information - particularly the summary of findings in post #63.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:39 AM   #125
toancv
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The Kobo built-in system fonts (Georgia and Avenir) have never been satisfactory in the GUI for Vietnamese users. I'm not aware that anything has changed in this regard in firmware 4.18.13737. So I'm not sure what you've been doing in the past to improve the look of Vietnamese authors/titles/TOC entries in the GUI.

There are some things you can do to improve matters. Read this recent thread for more information - particularly the summary of findings in post #63.
Hi Jackie_w,
You've saved my Kobo Aura. The "Custom GUI system fonts" did the job. I prefer Code2000; however, it does not support Vietnamese. So I use "Noto Serif SC" and "Noto Sans SC" which support Vietnamese, Chinese (both Traditional and Simplied) as Chinese is my second language.
For previous firmware version, I just need to run "Custom collection/author header title font" patch then it will also take effect to Book lists and TOC. But not the current version. I don't know why.
There still some bugs like every time restarting the device I have open an Vietnamese book so that language can display correctly (same as previous version). And the preview of TOC (one line of TOC at the bottom when clicking in the middle of reading book) still cannnot display correctly which previous version does not have.
Thank you.
Advert
Old 11-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #126
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You've saved my Kobo Aura. The "Custom GUI system fonts" did the job.
That's good
Quote:
For previous firmware version, I just need to run "Custom collection/author header title font" patch then it will also take effect to Book lists and TOC. But not the current version. I don't know why.
I'm a bit confused by this statement. This patch did need to be updated for firmware 4.18.13737 but, as far as I know, it only affects a very small part of the GUI. It shouldn't (now or ever) have affected the book lists and TOC entries.

Carefully compare the code you are using for your version of this patch with that in the copy of nickel.yaml in the standard download pack of kobopatch.

Quote:
There still some bugs like every time restarting the device I have open an Vietnamese book so that language can display correctly (same as previous version).
The word "bug" implies "avoidable, fixable error". It is currently neither avoidable nor fixable. After a full reboot the Kobo only has access to a very few built-in fonts. You have to force it to load all its sideloaded fonts. I discuss the simplest workarounds here in the previously linked thread.

Quote:
And the preview of TOC (one line of TOC at the bottom when clicking in the middle of reading book) still cannnot display correctly which previous version does not have.
You can use New patch - "Custom page navigation scrubber" detailed in post #3 of this thread to customise this font.

-------------------------------------------------

Whilst all of the above should improve things for you - in a rather piecemeal manner - there is a potentially "better" option you might like to consider.

It is discussed in the kobopatch users & non-Kobo-supported languages thread I linked earlier? Look for the posts discussing using a font editor (e.g. FontForge, TTFEdit, Type Light) to help you internally rename your 2 chosen Noto fonts to Georgia/'Avenir Next' before sideloading them.

This will give your Kobo GUI a complete overhaul and you won't need to repeatedly customise font-family in multiple patches. You will still have the same problem after a power-off/reboot but this option will survive a firmware update without needing to be re-applied.

Last edited by jackie_w; 11-09-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:25 PM   #127
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Patches v54 have been released

This release adds the remaining missing patches (Semwize: 24 line spacing values, custom font sizes [libra added by geek1011]; Bald Eagle: Cyrillic and Greek keyboard patches) and a few new patches (NiLuJe: Prevent nickel from grabbing event0; geek1011: Swap reading header/footer).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #128
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post

This release adds the remaining missing patches (Semwize: 24 line spacing values, custom font sizes [libra added by geek1011]; Bald Eagle: Cyrillic and Greek keyboard patches) and a few new patches (NiLuJe: Prevent nickel from grabbing event0; geek1011: Swap reading header/footer).
Are the patches to increase the timeout for sickel included in v54?'

Thank you and the others for your work on the patches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:58 AM   #129
toancv
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

Whilst all of the above should improve things for you - in a rather piecemeal manner - there is a potentially "better" option you might like to consider.

It is discussed in the kobopatch users & non-Kobo-supported languages thread I linked earlier? Look for the posts discussing using a font editor (e.g. FontForge, TTFEdit, Type Light) to help you internally rename your 2 chosen Noto fonts to Georgia/'Avenir Next' before sideloading them.

This will give your Kobo GUI a complete overhaul and you won't need to repeatedly customise font-family in multiple patches. You will still have the same problem after a power-off/reboot but this option will survive a firmware update without needing to be re-applied.
This is really good news. But I am not an IT technical person so I need some time to understand and try it. Thanks for your thorough assistance on this.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:15 AM   #130
jamalau
Connoisseur
jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hello, can anyone tell me what this Patch do "Prevent nickel from grabbing event0", i dont understand it, i use Miniclock from Frostschutz, and it works well as without this Patch?

Last edited by jamalau; 11-10-2019 at 06:55 AM.
jamalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #131
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I removed the bundled patcher in this test version of miniclock: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=311

Hence the patch .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #132
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This is really good news. But I am not an IT technical person so I need some time to understand and try it. Thanks for your thorough assistance on this.
That's OK. If you're happy with what you already have there's no need to do any more. I just thought I'd mention the other option which, incidentally, was originally brought to our attention by another Vietnamese user.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #133
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post

geek1011: Swap reading header/footer.
Swapping header/footer is still bugged though, right?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #134
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Swapping header/footer is still bugged though, right?
Only if you try to turn one of them off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #135
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
I want to increase the size of my header and footer fonts. Is it the Reduce new header/footer height-patch that I should use for that? And I don't really understand what it is that I need to change there. Can I get some assistance, please?
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching