Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #121
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Still, I'm glad big screens are moving into circulation - I would like a big screen for home/professional use. Not so much for travel use. This just doesn't hit my price vs. features sweet spot, and their track record on battery drain leaves something to be desired. I'd like to see some real-life use cases and average battery life.
Honestly when comparing power requirements you have to take features into account. The iRex has more hardare features than any other reader, to start with WACOM. So its IMHO quite logical they cannot reach the power sustainabilty of the SONY, which has a rather minimalistic hardware setup. One can question for his use (like pure book reading) if you need features like WACOM... but taken you want a scribbling tech (like me) you'll have to live with some tradeoffs on power consumption compared to no scribbling at all.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #122
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
Honestly when comparing power requirements you have to take features into account. The iRex has more hardare features than any other reader, to start with WACOM. So its IMHO quite logical they cannot reach the power sustainabilty of the SONY, which has a rather minimalistic hardware setup. One can question for his use (like pure book reading) if you need features like WACOM... but taken you want a scribbling tech (like me) you'll have to live with some tradeoffs on power consumption compared to no scribbling at all.
I would like scribbling tech and so on but not at the price of weeks vs 24/48 hours or some other equally low figure. I did take features into account, and that is precisely what stopped me from buying previous-gen iLiads, and what is stopping me from buying it now.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #123
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina_Ch View Post
It's very interesting for me - what was the source of this information?
I think iRex must be on plastic base. I argee with this quote:
I got that information from an iRex employee. He mentioned it was due to the Wacom technology, that the inner glass layer was still necessary.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #124
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
I got that information from an iRex employee. He mentioned it was due to the Wacom technology, that the inner glass layer was still necessary.
Finally get rid of that WACOM!

(there just must be other pointing technologies avialable)
Old 09-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #125
Boreras
Connoisseur
Boreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: TBA
What I would like to know is if WiFi would decrease average battery life. I mean, they can turn off the CPU, then surely it would be easy to have the WiFi / bluetooth / 3G hardware turned off, right?

On another note: Tribble, you said the other ereader was more responsive, but how does it measure up to the Iliad v2, the Cybook, PRS-505, etc.? Could you make a reasonable guess in response time (the iLiad / PRS-505 are all supposed to be 1s, or so they say)? (note: I will definitely wait for video footage showing it rendering PDFs, or full-screen pictures before buying, but I would like to know if I should stop being excited and wait for others to come, or if I should go a-bouncing for two weeks till I see footage / video-reviews).

Boreras
Boreras is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #126
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Too bad they were still relying on Wacom. PVI's touch technology would probably be more suitable (rather than a glass layer, force sensors are placed under the e-paper); but who knows how far they've advanced to productivity...
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #127
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
PlasticLogics touchscreen looks like overkill to me actually, throw some buttons on that thing for page turns at the minimum and where is a SD card slot for g*ds sake.

I like the iliad and sony because you can operate it with one hand (like to read on the train). Plastics slide your finger across the screen definitely requires two hands (On the website video, the CEO can hardly get the screen to acknowledge the finger movement, you might need to hit it with a shoe to turn the page). And you can easily get docs on and off with a card reader, to think that every computer (business computers tend to not like outside harddrives) will recognize the reader as a harddrive automatically with no software installation is a bit ridiculous nowadays, nothing is ever that simple anymore.

I like the two handedness (not a word I think) of this new Iliad reader but they've got to speed up the movement between docs and the loading time. Until then I'm waiting around for a Color eink (sometime in 2035 at its current rate of development)
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #128
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
PlasticLogics touchscreen looks like overkill to me actually, throw some buttons on that thing for page turns at the minimum and where is a SD card slot for g*ds sake.
Well actually there *IS* some marktet for people who want a scribbling device. People who want to use the device for different tasks than reading for leisure. People who like to have an electronic notetaking device. People who want to scribble on their texts like engineer and scientists do. People that even want to pay more than for a sony reader. And I say the market is quite considerable enough to sustain a medium sized company. It would be a shame to let this market go away for nothing... However IMHO WACOM just does not really cut it. Now aside from the notrious gap the screen substrate seems a second big problem with it.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #129
jor
jor began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad Reader
audio support?

arghh, where is the mp3 support?
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #130
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Sorry ... do you mean that seriously or facetiously?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:24 PM   #131
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
get an ipod :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Sorry ... do you mean that seriously or facetiously?
Well I guess because the iLiad had BTW, given some 3rd party applications and a dev kit. Its hardware had an audio-out socket.

I for one am happy they started to realize to build a *reading device*, not a geek applicance, where you put everything in because its cool. However, yes, having one day an "all purpose" device would be a nice thing. But until that is feasible for a reasonable price, concentrate on what your unique selling point is.

I know how geek techs are, because I have spent quite some time of my life in tech development as well.
Engineer 1: You know what would be cool for this device?
Engineer 2: Add an Rj45 port.
Engineer 1: Yes, done.
Engineer 2: How about Audio socket?
Engineer 1: Oh yes, oh yes. Added.
Engineer 2: Add two USB ports.
Engineer 1: Yes, thats it. Do you know what it yet needs?
Engineer 2: Hmmm, a satellite controller?
Engineer 1: oh didn't think about that, but how about a TV?
Engineer 2: Yes, a TV on the backside... added.
Marketing chick: Hey guys, I got that prototype, there is a TV on the backside!?!
Engineers: Yea cool, isn't it?
Marketing chick: No! Do you know how expensive a unit is going to be with this? We need a device people actually buy.
Engineers: Ah that marketing people, should have learned something real insteal...
Marketing chick: I'll come back with management.
Engineers: oh suuuuuure.
Management: Oh okay guys, leave the ports, and the audio socket, and all that little playing devices in therr, we want you happy, you are our unique company core competence, but seriously take out that TV. Thats an order.
Engineers: *hoffy* stupid markting whistle blowers...

Last edited by axel77; 09-22-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #132
ppxnouse
Connoisseur
ppxnouse began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Quote:
Any information if that will be the case for non Wacom 1000 too ? Looking at my lately broken Cybook screen, that would be a reason for me to go for a nonWACOM device.
ppxnouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #133
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppxnouse View Post
Any information if that will be the case for non Wacom 1000 too ? Looking at my lately broken Cybook screen, that would be a reason for me to go for a nonWACOM device.
Wacom is optional. there are 3 versions of 1000 for sale. However without Wacom you won't have any pointing possibility.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #134
ppxnouse
Connoisseur
ppxnouse began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Quote:
Wacom is optional. there are 3 versions of 1000 for sale. However without Wacom you won't have any pointing possibility.
Right. I know. I just wonder if the 1000 w/o the s will still have the inner glass layer. Even if it might not be needed since it does not feature WACOM. But maybe all screens still contain the glass layers for production reasons or for whatever...
ppxnouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #135
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
get an ipod :-)

Engineer 1: oh didn't think about that, but how about a TV?
Engineer 2: Yes, a TV on the backside... added.
Marketing chick: Hey guys, I got that prototype, there is a TV on the backside!?!
Engineers: Yea cool, isn't it?
Marketing chick: No! Do you know how expensive a unit is going to be with this? We need a device people actually buy.
Engineers: Ah that marketing people, should have learned something real insteal...
Marketing chick: I'll come back with management.
Engineers: oh suuuuuure.
Management: Oh okay guys, leave the ports, and the audio socket, and all that little playing devices in therr, we want you happy, you are our unique company core competence, but seriously take out that TV. Thats an order.
Engineers: *hoffy* stupid markting whistle blowers...
If that TV on the backside was color, I'm pretty pissed they took that off...
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote