Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #121
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
That's a tough road to hoe ....
At the risk of being anti-socially pedantic: that should be "row" (as in garden row) not "road" -- it's a common misperception, though.

Just like it's not "You've got another thing coming," but rather "You've got another think coming."

And if you think about it, it really ought to be "I couldn't care less what NatCh thinks about my colloquialisms," not "I could care less ...."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #122
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
At the risk of being anti-socially pedantic
Surely , never ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #123
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
At the risk of being anti-socially pedantic: that should be "row" (as in garden row) not "road" -- it's a common misperception, though.

Just like it's not "You've got another thing coming," but rather "You've got another think coming."

And if you think about it, it really ought to be "I couldn't care less what NatCh thinks about my colloquialisms," not "I could care less ...."
Maybe we need a separate "Screwed-up Colloquialisms" thread.

umn... did I say that aloud?...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #124
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
To quote again my Dictionary of Cliches: "Once the hoe was about the only tool available for weeding a row of plants in a garden that was too small for a horse-drawn rig, and working one's way down such a row (or more likely several of them) was a tedious business...David Crockett was using the expression in that way in his Tour of the North and Down East (1835): 'I never opposed Andrew Jackson for popularity. I knew it was a hard row to hoe.'"

Did you know that the phrase "bring down the curtain" is a misquotation of "ring down the curtain"? "At one time the signal to raise or lower a theatrical curtain was actually a bell rung backstage. Sheila Kaye-Smith had a figurative meaning in John Galsworthy (1916): 'Thus the curtain rings down on Irene Forsyte, crushed under the heel of prosperity.'"

I love this book. It's just too short and is missing so many cliches of which I would like to know the origins. I should mention that Amazon has two or three dictionaries of cliches by various authors for the Kindle. Sadly, Sony does not.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #125
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Find it interesting that, besides mis-remembering or understanding a cliche, many people attempt to....'improve' upon an idiom in the interest of emphasising their point more. Oft-times, all these mis-guided souls achieve is a butchering of the phrase and message they intend to convey.

@ NatCh: You so totally should, like, not EVAR get eternal lying, dreaming squid started on the myriad difficulties visited upon the English language by the sordid, despicable creation of contractions.

Why do so many people wish to know where my 'cat' is? Do they believe that I travel everywhere with it, so that to know its location is to know my own?

Verily, do not get it.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #126
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They're prob'ly just wantin' to make sure you haven't eaten the poor li'l thing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #127
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, no no.

They ask about my cat, my hat, my bat, my rat, all manner of possesions, when what these fools mean to know Where am I.

Know that most of you are thinking with one brain cell one thought:

Don' be hatin'.
;-)
Old 05-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #128
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Rwood must just be a city boy.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #129
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Don't trust Russian translations. 'The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak' was once famously rendered as 'The vodka is strong but the meat is rotten.'
I heard this in my comp sci phd studies on computers and language. I heard that it was a computer translation, but that may or may not be so!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #130
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Find it interesting that, besides mis-remembering or understanding a cliche, many people attempt to....'improve' upon an idiom in the interest of emphasising their point more. Oft-times, all these mis-guided souls achieve is a butchering of the phrase and message they intend to convey.
I'm now trying to remember the name of the comedian who made his career by replacing letters in words or similar words in phrases, including colloquialisms, to change their meaning (often to reverse it) for his punchlines.

Example: "My mother-in-law is the silt of the Earth." (Da-dump-bump!)
Old 05-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #131
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Steve, I think the comedian you have in mind is Norm Crosby (he would transpose letters and words, and it's he I first heard say, "It's like shouting theatre in a crowded fire.")

Badgood Deb, the garbled Russian translation was supposedly the work of an early machine translator, and when it comes to such idioms, modern machine translators are not so great either.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #132
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
Steve, I think the comedian you have in mind is Norm Crosby (he would transpose letters and words, and it's he I first heard say, "It's like shouting theatre in a crowded fire.")
That's him! Thank you diffusely.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #133
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
That's him! Thank you diffusely.
Also sounds like something Rodney Dangerfield would say. Don't know whether he did though.

& before him the short one of the Bowery Boys - Sach maybe.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #134
Cthulhu
Technologist

Steven Wright is quite gifted at de-constructing the message/imagery behind common English idioms when viewed at face value, akin to the Tex Avery cartoon where the swinging hipster's narrative is shown to us through the mind of Noah Webster.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #135
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Yeh, siure, the Bowery Boyz... I remember dose mugs like me own fam'ly! One of 'em became famous yeahs latah as a wise-cracking' cartoon rabbit! To this day, I have to fight the urge to say "stragedy" in office meetings!

Curly of the Stooges got off one on occasion, too: "Hey! I resemble that remark!"

Tags
unutterable silliness