Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #121
abeaty
Enthusiast
abeaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperweight
Is there a calendar app for the IQ. Anyone know if it syncs with Outlook or equivalent? Thanks.
abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #122
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Treo
Thanks , that's actually pretty good. I saw in this and other pictures that there is a checkered background which isn't smooth, is that because of the software or hardware?

I'll probably wait until the new firmware comes out and then decide if I'll get it.

Would I be able to connect an external keyboard to it? In general does the USB port support stuff connected to it, other then for charging and PC communication?

M
myle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #123
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by myle00 View Post
Would I be able to connect an external keyboard to it? In general does the USB port support stuff connected to it, other then for charging and PC communication?

M
No.
There are two kinds of USB connections: USB host that allows peripherals to be connected through it and USB-client that is used to connect to a host computer. Most portable devices have USB-client connections.

If you're looking for an Android webpad/tablet with USB host, look to the new Archos line. Quite a bit pricier, though; almost double IQ pricing for the 7incher.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:08 AM   #124
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
If you're looking for an Android webpad/tablet with USB host, look to the new Archos line. Quite a bit pricier, though; almost double IQ pricing for the 7incher.
Now I'm thoroughly confused. In my mind I was comparing the IQ and 902/903 to other devices on the forum and they seemed to win. So it was only a question between those two, but I wasn't excited for either because neither seemed especially good for complex color pdfs.

But given the Archos 70/101, their price is<350 which is as good as the 902 and better than the 903 and the specs are really good. Even compared to the IQ it's only double the price but much superior, so why doesn't everyone buy it? In terms of software is there anything in the IQ better than those tablets?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:17 AM   #125
Nightwish
Nightwish began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nevermind, I misread.

Last edited by Nightwish; 12-02-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Nightwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #126
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
But given the Archos 70/101, their price is<350 which is as good as the 902 and better than the 903 and the specs are really good. Even compared to the IQ it's only double the price but much superior, so why doesn't everyone buy it? In terms of software is there anything in the IQ better than those tablets?
902/903 are eink based readers and the *only* Non-kindle readers at that size today. (Plus, they are cheaper than KDXG.) They are (likely) competent readers with a lot of software features you won't find elsewhere but that is just what they are: ebook readers, not PDAs, not computers, not webpad tablets. Until now, Pocketbook readers have always shined above other readers because of their stable, flexible, and customizable software. Most people who buy them (and the older eink readers) buy them with the understanding that what they're buying is book reading devices, *not* computers. Also, some people are either committed to ePub or loathe Amazon or both. 902/903 lets them indulge and still get a good product. (shrug) They are *not* intended to compete with Archos or the iPad as those are first and foremost mediapads. (Archos' other products are portable media players, not ebook readers.) There really isn't enough overlap (other than price) for cross-shopping them.

The IQ is a different critter; it *is* a webpad.
Android-based just like dozens of other models. (It's almost a fad, these days.) It's calling card is the price point; not the touchscreen, not fancy niche features that most buyers at any price point won't use much less entry-level buyers. There are at least two other companies selling variations of the same core hardware.
What makes the IQ different is the reputation of the company behind it, the two year warranty, and the solid metal case (for those that care about it). There is also the Pocketbook-specific software which, if it ever gets stabilized and brought close to parity to the eink readers should offer true added value above and beyond the android webpad baseline.

Most of us buying the IQ today are doing it more understanding that the Pocketbook component of the software is an unfinished product and the only thing certain is that we are getting a stable, flexible, well-built, *LOW-END* android webpad tablet. Mine is still in transit but that is what I bought; the ability to install arbitrary Android reader apps without having to hack the device, to have Kindle reader side by side with Kobo, Nook, Aldiko, FBReader and (eventually) Overdrive reader. To be able to get to Last.FM, MSN Messenger, Facebook, youtube and most websites, to open Audible drm'ed audiobooks.
Me, I'm buying a toy to play and explore with; it's my XMAS present to myself. It might turn into a daily use tool. I might buy a few more to gift my siblings for XMAS (hence my early buy, before the updated firmware is confirmed). At that price point (it is half the Archos price, almost half the NookColor--which needs hacking to do what IQ does natively, a third to a Quarter of an IPad) I can afford to be disappointed. At worst I get a generic Android webpad, at best a color PB360; either way, I know I can live with the outcome.

Other peope will have their own value propositions.
To some people, USB Host is a must-have; thus I pointed out the Archos.
To some people, capacitance touchscreen is a must-have and they don't mind convoluted hacking processes or the higher price; those are buying NookColor.
To some people, the absolute lowest price, lower than the IQ, outweighs the two-year warranty and (the promise of) extra Pocketbook software amd they go with the Pandigital Novel.
And some will only buy Sony or Apple products.

There is no product that will clearly fit *everbody's* needs. Not now, not ever. This means there is room for diversification and competition; every vendor can get a slice of the pie, most consumers can find a satisfactory product. The trick is knowing exactly what you need and what you are buying and not assume anything, 'cause assumptions might prove unwarranted and lead to overly ambitious expectations and disappointment.

It is up to each buyer to do their research, define their value proposition, and make a realistic assessment of the product's suitability to *their* needs. The vendor's duty is simply to make the best product they can at their chosen price-point and be candid about what it does and doesn't do and then support it to *that* extent.

Fair enough?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #127
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
But given the Archos 70/101, their price is<350 which is as good as the 902 and better than the 903 and the specs are really good.
sure, but Archos is a tablet and back lit, and I guess all those going for 902/903 want e-ink.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #128
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The Archos tablets are crippled. I'm sure they can be hacked but Archos likes to charge extra for functionality. The IQ is completely open. For the price, the IQ hits me sweet spot, functional and not too expensive.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #129
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Thanks , that's actually pretty good. I saw in this and other pictures that there is a checkered background which isn't smooth, is that because of the software or hardware?

I'll probably wait until the new firmware comes out and then decide if I'll get it.

M
What checkered background? I don't see anything like that in my pictures.

Edit: Oh wait, I think I see what you mean. I think that has something to do with the angle of my camera or something. The checkered doesn't show up on the IQ. But I'll verify that tonight when I get back home. I really don't think it's present when looking at the IQ with your own eyeballs.

Last edited by speedtouch; 12-02-2010 at 12:12 PM.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #130
abeaty
Enthusiast
abeaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperweight
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeaty View Post
Is there a calendar app for the IQ. Anyone know if it syncs with Outlook or equivalent? Thanks.
No ones knows this?
abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #131
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If it's the normal Android thingy, it syncs with Google Calendar. There are apps which allow you to sync with Outlook, but I know that they are in the official market. Maybe the alternative ones have options of that kind too.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #132
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Any rumors about firmware update availability?

I just received my IQ today. It was delivered to Nogales, AZ Nov 20, and brought down by courier Dec 1 to San Carlos, Sonora. I believe I have the pre-Nov 20 firmware.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #133
symonray
symonray began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701, Pocketbook 360, JetBook, JetBook Lite and Kindle 3
I have a quick question. How can you tell which version of the firmware my IQ 701 has at the present time? Where can I go on the machine or what should I be looking for in order to determine whether I have the earlier firmware version or the "November 20" version? Thanks.
symonray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #134
myle00
Connoisseur

I guess after reading their website I fell hook line and sinker for it, it seemed very perfect for reading color pdfs. Though that is to be expected from an manufacturer. From a Amazon review it seems their sturdiness is questionable.

I think I need an article that reviews the state of Android, I thought it was pretty advanced. Although I only need it for reading and minor web surfing I'll probably enjoy programing it.

I'm going to have to find a way to sample the new PB devices as well as possibly other tablets, unfortunately there is no local PB store in my area. I wish they'd release already the new firmware.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #135
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeaty View Post
No ones knows this?
None that I'm aware of. If we could install Google Apps onto the IQ then we'd have access to Google Calendar that you could in turn sync with Outlook.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote