Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #121
cifa
cifa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I have Android on the Kobo Touch & Kobo Glo. I only ever use the KT as its superior IMO. Its snappy - the Glo just drags...
Battery is pretty reasonable on the KT - but i don't push it - I use the KT to read RSS feeds, read the odd book & play the odd simple game (i.e chess).
Definitely the scene is quiet on Android on Kobo....but I am sure there a few users out there who enjoy it as much as I do
cifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #122
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
You're using v2? The screen refresh became better? not annoying right?

How long does the battery last as compared to Kobo's OS in your normal daily use?
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #123
cifa

i'm using v2
the screen refresh seems decent (never used v1 so can't compare) - its not annoying at all - I just accept the limitations of the e-reader and it just works.
I didnt use the Kobo OS much (dont use it all now) but Android def worse on the battery IMO...with a half hr use every night (inc wifi) i reckon it would stretch to a week+ use - maybe more - ?who knows...I haven't been tracking it. just been enjoying it. lol

Last edited by cifa; 11-27-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:07 PM   #124
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
I just got a serial TTL console, it has 3.3v and 5v. For Kobo's (including Kobo mini), it's 3.3v, am I right?
I don't want to toast this little kitten!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 07-15-2016 at 10:55 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:31 AM   #125
Urfin73
Urfin73 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Dual Boot in Android v2 image for Kobo Touch

Thanks to Marek for their great work!
To avoid cyclic restart when dual-booting, it is necessary to SD card with the image to mount in linux. In the Android system partition replace two files (in the archive).
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 Android System.tar.bz2 (1.3 KB, 260 views)
Urfin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2016, 11:18 PM   #126
maranium
maranium began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Mini
Is there any way to change the sleep and deep sleep cover images?
maranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:47 AM   #127
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by maranium View Post
Is there any way to change the sleep and deep sleep cover images?
find /system/app/MsgE6.apk, replace therein
/res/drawable-nodpi/poweroff.jpg
/res/drawable-nodpi/sleeping.jpg
by your own images (758x1024) and move updated apk back.
PS. Just for the case... my version of MsgE6.apk with the Dore' illustrations for Don Quixote
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #128
maranium
maranium began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuPogodi View Post
find /system/app/MsgE6.apk, replace therein
/res/drawable-nodpi/poweroff.jpg
/res/drawable-nodpi/sleeping.jpg
by your own images (758x1024) and move updated apk back.
PS. Just for the case... my version of MsgE6.apk with the Dore' illustrations for Don Quixote
Thank you! Found that, but now it will not let me replace the original file. Tried Total Commander and ES file Explorer, keeps saying read only file system
maranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:32 AM   #129
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Thank you! Found that, but now it will not let me replace the original file. Tried Total Commander and ES file Explorer, keeps saying read only file system
Copying on disk mounted as read-only is not possible. I have no experience with other file managers, but MT Manager (as well as any decent filemanager with root privileges) allows user to (re)mount disks as RW or RO.
Simple alternative: you may just copy your sleeping image on /sdcard/suspend.jpg -- it has no influence on the power-off image, though.
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #130
cifa

Quote:
this has been already discussed (earlier in the thread)
Old 02-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #131
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
I use "EasyApkDisassembler" to sign apks that I modify, then they install.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:08 AM   #132
hungudgm
hungudgm began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO H2O
Talking Please help me DUAL BOOT android on KOBO H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Hmmm. Maybe it doesn't work after all and I have to take back my words.

This is what it does for a factory reset:

Code:
dd if=$UBOOT_RECOVERY of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=128k count=1 seek=6
In case of the H2O that's /etc/u-boot/mx50-ntx/u-boot.{mmc,recovery}

And the difference of this file is like:

Code:
 bootcmd_SD=run bootargs_base bootargs_SD;load_ntxkernel; bootm
 bootcmd_recovery=run bootargs_base bootargs_recovery;load_ntxkernel; bootm
 verify=no
-bootcmd=run bootcmd_mmc
 bootargs_recovery=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4
 bootargs_mmc=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootfstype=ext4
 bootargs_SD=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/mmcblk1p1 rootfstype=ext4
+bootcmd=run bootcmd_recovery
 bootargs_base=setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 rootwait rw quiet lpj=3997696
 stdin=serial
 stdout=serial
So it changes bootcmd_mmc (the normal internal memory) to bootcmd_recovery (the internal recovery partition) and when it boots from the recovery partition, the scripts there perform the factory reset itself and switch it back to bootcmd_mmc.

There's also a bootcmd_SD in there which should use the SD card; and I changed it to run bootcmd_SD and I thought it had worked. I put a copy of the internal filesystem to the SD card and it booted from it, or so I thought; but now when I try it again somehow I can't make it work. It did boot, but using the internal memory like normal. So now I'm no longer sure I succeeded the first time around.
I don't understand, what's file to edit? please help me step by step? OK, I'm try method on

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...hack-tutorial/

But not ok

Many thanks!
hungudgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #133
svit89
svit89 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO N613
Kobo android with GPS

Hello dear Marek. I have some questions for you and for all.
i have modifed my kobo. I have add GPS module like in that page
http://www.dotmana.com/weblog/2014/0...-mini-gps-mod/

Gps work with Firmware LK8000 or Xcsoar. For example http://www.lk8000.it/news/226-lk8000...-and-kobo.html.

What i can do for run GPS on ANDROID FOR KOBO????
Please help me
svit89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:21 AM   #134
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Quote:
Originally Posted by svit89 View Post
What i can do for run GPS on ANDROID FOR KOBO????
Please help me
Hi! I was never connecting GPS with Kobo, but I believe that you need to compile GPS driver for serial GPS. You can find it here: https://github.com/kconger/android-serial-gps-driver. I'm not sure if it is enough to compile it with AndroidNDK but I it should work when you compile kernel with this driver added.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:59 AM   #135
svit89
svit89 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO N613
thankyou. can i use the kernel from your repositories from github?what kernel i must use?kobo-kernel-2.6.35.3-android or kobo-kernel-2.6.35.3-marek? my GPS connected at ttymxc0.
I never did the compilation kernel for android. but i want to try that! can you help me?
i must use the AndroidNDK? can i use Android Studio 2.1?
how to do it? where should I start?

Last edited by svit89; 05-14-2016 at 09:36 AM.
svit89 is offline   Reply With Quote