Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #121
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
I think the European price is exagerated comparing to US price. Usualy there is a € = $ parity, but 399$ can't equal 499€. I payed about 350€ for by DR800SG, but an American friend of mine bought it and brought it from the US.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #122
odette87
odette
odette87 began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DS800SG
April, 2010 update:
Best Buy has Irex DS800SG on back order. They claim two weeks delay. We shall see.
odette87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #123
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
And Zacitana (not being in the EU) won't have to pay the 19% VAT. So it will be Euro 412.5 only, not that much more expensive than the US version (I paid USD 448.50 including international shipping).
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #124
zacitana
a happy reader
zacitana has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR800S :))
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
And Zacitana (not being in the EU) won't have to pay the 19% VAT. So it will be Euro 412.5 only,
well not really they don't ship to Croatia - and I can order through friends either in Germany or France, so I'll have to pay the VAT.

btw, I have decided not to order via shipito - their suggestion was to use their assisted purchase service, which is too expensive so I'm abandoning the idea.

(I'm sure this is a conspiracy of the forces of universe against me and my wish to buy an e-reader )
zacitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:34 AM   #125
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacitana View Post
well not really they don't ship to Croatia - and I can order through friends either in Germany or France, so I'll have to pay the VAT.

btw, I have decided not to order via shipito - their suggestion was to use their assisted purchase service, which is too expensive so I'm abandoning the idea.

(I'm sure this is a conspiracy of the forces of universe against me and my wish to buy an e-reader )
Sure Irex Europe ships to Croatia, and there is no VAT. Look closely at their website.

As for buying from the US I still have 3 suggestions left.

1.)Put in a request in the Flea Market section, perhaps a member will buy it for you if you pay in advance by PayPal.

2.)You can try www.negrielectronics.com, tell them you want this and can't get directly from BestBuy. They specialize in these kind of deals, perhaps they make you a deal you consider worth it. On the other hand they may be more expensive than the personal shopping service.

3.)Get a US address from some service and just try to place an order on BestBuy. Perhaps they won't recognize it as a "common freight forwarder"
Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #126
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
And Zacitana (not being in the EU) won't have to pay the 19% VAT. So it will be Euro 412.5 only, not that much more expensive than the US version (I paid USD 448.50 including international shipping).
Zacitana: If you get the device by mail you're mostly likely going to pay your country's 22% VAT and possibly custom duties.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #127
zacitana
a happy reader

Quote:
Sure Irex Europe ships to Croatia, and there is no VAT. Look closely at their website.
Well, not that I want to quarrel with you, but they do not ship to Croatia. I've tried it.

Thanx for your other suggestions, but I've given up oredering from the US, it's just not worth the aggravation.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #128
zacitana
a happy reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
Zacitana: If you get the device by mail you're mostly likely going to pay your country's 22% VAT and possibly custom duties.
Yes, I'm very well aware of that
Old 04-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #129
HansTWN
Wizard

22% VAT??? Must be a world record! People here think our 5% is too high.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #130
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Well, not that I want to quarrel with you, but they do not ship to Croatia. I've tried it.

Thanx for your other suggestions, but I've given up oredering from the US, it's just not worth the aggravation.
That seems pretty stupid, not to ship to a paying customer. Especially at the European price.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #131
zacitana
a happy reader

yeah, I'm in the mood for a rant right now

Funny thing is, I have an option to order from a European reseller (there's a link on the iRex .eu website) that would ship the item to Serbia (which is in the neighbourhood, and they are not EU) BUT the price is still €499, regardless of the fact that the purchaser does not live in an EU-country!

oh, by the way, Croatian VAT is 23%, as of last autumn, and a new law is in the works that could see the VAT rise to 24% - it's unbelievable...

So, if somebody would care to calculate: €500 + €115 (Croatian VAT) + €50 (approx. customs - they usually take 10% of the price value)

that makes a whopping €665 + shipping for an iRex DR800, and I do live in Europe (I mean, geographically Croatia is Central Europe, much more to the north than, say, Greece or Spain). But the iRex bunch don't give a f...

Last edited by zacitana; 04-27-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #132
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Quote:
22% VAT??? Must be a world record! People here think our 5% is too high.
Most EEC countries are in the 15-25% VAT range, I presume Greece will hit 60% in the next few years.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #133
akey
akey began at the beginning.

Device: iRex ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by odette87 View Post
April, 2010 update:
Best Buy has Irex DS800SG on back order. They claim two weeks delay. We shall see.
Ordered one on the same day you posted and got the backordered e-mail, but it shipped today. Seems similar to the same quirk that the first buyers were experiencing.
akey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #134
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Funny thing is, I have an option to order from a European reseller (there's a link on the iRex .eu website) that would ship the item to Serbia (which is in the neighbourhood, and they are not EU) BUT the price is still €499, regardless of the fact that the purchaser does not live in an EU-country!
I believe the €499 price of the DR800S includes VAT, which is where most of the difference vs the DR800SG comes from. Doesn't seem fair to pay that if you're in a country that doesn't charge VAT though. Maybe you can talk to iRex directly about it?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #135
zacitana
a happy reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I believe the €499 price of the DR800S includes VAT, which is where most of the difference vs the DR800SG comes from. Doesn't seem fair to pay that if you're in a country that doesn't charge VAT though. Maybe you can talk to iRex directly about it?
That's right, the EU price without VAT is set at 419.32 EUR (this is from the irexshop.com); what I see as a problem is that I have to pay the VAT twice: once the EU VAT because that is the only offer I can find online (which makes for the final price of €499) AND the Croatian VAT when the item enters the country (because there is no other way I can get it but thorugh post) and that's additional €115 plus the aforementioned €50 customs.

Talking directly to iRex? I'm afraid they'll react like any other corporation: "sorry, tough luck, it's not our problem".

Although, I've got nothing to lose if I send them or their European reseller an e-mail. (hope dies last )