Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-13-2021, 12:30 AM   #121
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And for your other weird theory, both my eyes are functioning and I have a bit of an issue trying to understand why you appear to believe that having a single functioning eye would remove the need to squint when seeing nearby.
If only one eye is used to see, then both eyes are not focused on the same point and both eyes can stare into infinity in a relaxed manner.

And as for the rest: here it is important to ophthalmologists that the eye muscles remain in training and not relaxed doing nothing or hardly anything and atrophy.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:52 AM   #122
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Good Lord! What the hell is this thread about?

I came here to learn about the Kobo Elipsa ebook reader and to hear numerous experiences and rumors about the device from informed members, not indulge in a layman's course on optometry, eye exams, one-eyed individuals, cataracts, future eye issues, etc., and etc.

This now calls for a most appropriate emolji:

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-13-2021 at 08:18 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2021, 07:41 AM   #123
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
’Tis the interwebs wot does it, ain’t it?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #124
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Good Lord! What the hell is this thread about?

I came here to learn about the Kobo Elipsa ebook reader and to hear numerous experiences and rumors about the device from informed members, not indulge in a layman's course on optometry, eye exams, one-eyed individuals, cataracts, future eye issues, etc., and etc.

This now calls for a most appropriate emolji:

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:31 PM   #125
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Been there. Done that. Not much anymore.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2021, 05:32 AM   #126
pso33
pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad X
Hi,
does anybody know any PDF reader on Elipsa leveraging koreader's basic functionality? (multicolumn, gestures, fit to content width/height etc...)
To my knowledge, kobo stock software lacks these functionalities, forcing me to frequent screen updates like pan & pinch & zoom (which is a nonsense for serious use, speaking from serious practice of a 10" reader) and can't get rid of menu updates.

To me, only after being able to digest a paper, comes to annotate on it...
Till we just speaking about scribble & annotation but never mentioning PDF reading capabilities (that is very complex), it can be good only for a kid's play.

Alternatively, koreader should start up a project supporting pen use... (I like kobo anyway and the HW design of Elipsa, just the software inability is bothering me)
pso33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:08 AM   #127
pso33
pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Do the same with 7.8 and hold the device at a distance of 76% - then there is no difference.
And that can be proven physically.
To me it has a difference.
I have to enlarge the screen again on my 6.8" device to read as easily as on my 10" one.
But once after enlarging, the A4 page (with margin cut) won't fit on the 7" device - that is required to read academic pages. This why I always use the 10" for academic papers despite my InkpadX (device or screen?) is much slower...

Number of pixels is irrelevant till your eyes can't resolve it (to me the 227 ppi is somewhere at that limit for the 10" device).
You can go to 8" if your eyes are young, to me it's very tiring to read on a 7" and often enlarging the text very soon when reading long time seriously.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:59 AM   #128
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pso33 View Post
Number of pixels is irrelevant till your eyes can't resolve it (to me the 227 ppi is somewhere at that limit for the 10" device).
The average eye resolution is around one arc minute - this corresponds to a distance for 227 ppi of around 40 cm, at 300 ppi it is 30 cm.
I don't like 10.3 inches under 60 cm.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #129
pso33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I don't like 10.3 inches under 60 cm.
What is important here, is your convenient eye distance, for a given task.

We are also not chameleons, so both eyes try to focus around the same spot - never the whole or parallel area. Distance between 2 eyes is also not negligible, as their focus is very different when looking close...

Eye sight cannot be fully corrected, only humain brain corrects it and makes a belief of a planar paper... (in fact, brain gathering spots with good quality focus is only in the middle where both eyes actually point at)

In the case of A4 academic papers - where the most belonging information with usually fit onto same A4 page -, you usually never look at the whole paper at a time in reading quality - just only smaller spots. You are moving it at a convenient distance forth and back / up - down till got the page understood.

So I move the device itself rather than a slow pan & zoom (like I do on my 10" tablet), but at a constant convenient distance (defining a convenient physical letter size).

I can also resolve pixels from nose distance... yet don't do that, because it's rather tiring for more than 10 minutes.

For some people 8" enough, to me 10" is a bare minimum (with margin removals).
Old 06-16-2021, 11:47 AM   #130
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Good Lord!
(choke)

Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:56 PM   #131
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
(choke)

That's great!!
Old 06-18-2021, 06:54 AM   #132
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Something tells me this thread is about to become relevant...and fun again! Let's post our thoughts regarding this new device. And a big 'Thank you' to DNSB for having started this thread.

I"ll start the festivities:

I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews when this unit comes out. My concern - actually, what I will be looking for - is the absence of any type of 'light wedge'. As we all know, this will be the first eink device of this size from Kobo. I hope they get it right.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #133
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Something tells me this thread is about to become relevant...and fun again! Let's post our thoughts regarding this new device. And a big 'Thank you' to DNSB for having started this thread.

I"ll start the festivities:

I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews when this unit comes out. My concern - actually, what I will be looking for - is the absence of any type of 'light wedge'. As we all know, this will be the first eink device of this size from Kobo. I hope they get it right.
So for the first looks, unboxings, quick reviews all say the lighting looks great. Of course, none of these have been super detailed so they might have missed "minor" detailed that we have to look for in more detailed reviews, but it does look promising.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:19 AM   #134
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I'd love to know what Kobo's naming convention might be. I always presumed that Forma came from pro forma, but Ellipsa sounds like an Italian motorcycle designed to resemble an omission. Will Kobo dub their four-inch mini-reader the Semicolo?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-20-2021 at 01:22 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:54 AM   #135
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Will Kobo dub their four-inch mini-reader the Semicolo?
If they do, it would break the pattern of years, by being the first not to end in an "a" - Elipsa, Nia, Libra, Forma, Aura.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote