Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #121
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Ah. What I think mine did, was download everything *since my last download from nook for PC*. Since that was in July of last year, and the bulk of my nook purchases were 2009-2011, I guess I'm stuck downloading them individually.
Can you use a computer belonging to a relative or friend to download them? Then move them to a USB Drive.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #122
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I got all of mine using the Android app. It took less than 10 minutes to download them then 5 minutes to move them to my PC via LAN on Es File Explorer and now loading them in Calibre. I was able to get all books some that I could never get before because nook library has been broken forever.

Last edited by Blossom; 09-18-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #123
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Might this even be related to HarperCollins going to use a digital watermark as an extra layer of DRM? Is this the start of an offensive by the publishers to end ebook piracy? Have the publishers somehow become convinced that they can win such an offensive?
It may have nothing to do with the publishers and simply be a poorly-thought-out attempt to compel customer lock-in by ensuring that the greater difficulty to use one's content as one sees fit keeps one inside the walled garden.

Apple has done something similarly annoying with the new iBooks on Mac app in OS X Mavericks. It used to be that iBooks were fed through from the iTunes store and showed up as .epub and .ibooks files which could be easily seen in one's iTunes Media folder and moved about and used on other readers (in the case of DRM-free ePubs).

Now, no longer. The mere opening of the iBooks for Mac app auto-migrates all your present and future iBooks from the iTunes Media folder into some hidden place deep within your ~/Library and also unpacks them all, in some obscure encrypted format (even the DRM-free ones), so you no longer have your handy individual title files, and can't econstruct or even manually read the contents of the unpacked HTML in your formerly DRM-free ePubs.

And you can't even move the contents of said hidden ~/Library folder and symlink them if you're running out of disk space on your boot hard drive petition. iBooks just flat-out refuses to see them any more and then wants you to reset your library and re-download again.

My next project, after the B&N downloads are complete, will be to boot into an older version of OS X & iTunes, and manually re-download all my iBooks from the cloud as their original individual files so I can at least pick and choose which titles to keep on my laptop and which I can put into storage on the external drive. Maybe this time I'll even be able to get the iBooks DRM-removal thingy to work.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #124
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I guess I won't be using that last $6 of settlement credit that I have left at B&N. Bummer.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #125
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I guess I won't be using that last $6 of settlement credit that I have left at B&N. Bummer.
I'd use it quickly then grab the book via the Android app with your Fire. You can then copy the epub from the nook folder to Calibre.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #126
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
I don't really have anything to add, but...

I really like Barnes & Noble, and I'm constantly defending them as one of the better choices (among a sea of admittedly poor options excepting rare gems like O'Reilly). However, they never cease to amaze me with their ability to make decisions that will upset the most vocal of their users.

Maybe B&N doesn't want "power users" as a customer base so they actively push away informed buyers. Maybe their management shorted the stock and trying to capitalize. Or perhaps (unfortunately likely in this case) they let publishers dictate their business decisions more than is reasonable.

In any case, I've been meaning to check out Kobo again. They have their own failings and missteps, but at least their trajectory seems to be up...
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #127
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I thought you could get a fresh download from Nook for PC by renaming the book folder and synching but that didn't work. I thought I had done that before.
Yeah, I did try that.

Now I'm using the greasemonkey/ tampermonkey download script. I'm nearly done with all of them
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #128
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Might this even be related to HarperCollins going to use a digital watermark as an extra layer of DRM? Is this the start of an offensive by the publishers to end ebook piracy? Have the publishers somehow become convinced that they can win such an offensive?
Read some info in the comments on the Dear Author website that some download buttons have also been removed at Kobo. So this seems to be something not limited to B&N.
I also checked my Kobo library. Out of the 147 titles 4 don't have download buttons.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #129
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2e, Kobo Libra Colour, Kindle Paperwhite
I was able to get a few of my newest Nook books this way:

Download books to Nook app on iPhone or iPad. Connect iPhone to computer and use iFunbox program to search the file system (Nook - Library - Caches - Products) for the books. I then transferred them to my Desktop.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #130
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I also checked my Kobo library. Out of the 147 titles 4 don't have download buttons.
Those are kepub-only books. That's been going on for a while.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #131
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Script worked for me as well through Tapermonkey. I will be visiting my page BEFORE any new purchases, one at a time, to make sure the script is still live before I buy anything new.
This is a really good idea. I have some gift card money there - I think I may have to go shopping this weekend and use it up.

My fear is that a simple change to their website might make that script unusable (I don't know enough about what it does behind the scenes to know how easy it would be to tweak).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #132
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Those are kepub-only books. That's been going on for a while.
Actually, 3 of them say Adobe DRM
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #133
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Okay I downloaded them all to my Nexus and copied them to my PC.

The ones I checked appear to be the same versions as the ones I'd downloaded when I set up my Calibre Warehouse library earlier this year.

I'll keep the Nook for Android app on my tablet on the off chance I ever buy anything there again. I unistalled it from my phone earlier this year as whenever they sent out notices I had to delete them from my phone and tablet and I got tired of the double work for an app I don't even really use.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #134
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'd say B&N is actually worse for doing this the way they did. Kobo is a close second for their kepub nonsense. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the desktop apps for both disappear soon - they're already hiding Nook for PC, you have to search for it. The "reading apps" page only has mobile devices + the windows store app. Kobo has done the same.
I'd think Kobo is worse, since a KEPUB-only book is impossible to use elsewhere. At least B&N only requires you to use the Android app or an e-ink Nook, before sideloading.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #135
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I went through all 800 books at Kobo they all have downloads buttons.
That's how mine were at B&N. A button with a + on it that opened up the choices to read, download, archive etc. and I clicked on each one individually to download it. It took a bit of time but I got em.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote