Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 11-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #121
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Alita has no glass screen - he is plastic and can not break.
Screen protector helps that the screen is not scratched by the pen.
I think you are wrong about it.
Only Onyx Boox Note has no glass screen.
All the rest of the 10.3" readers do have glass screens.
Yes, the 10.3" Mobius e-ink screen itself is flexible, but Mimas, Alita, Note Max, Note 2 - they all have frontlight. And therefore they all have a glass light distributing layer on top of the e-ink screen. Besides, Alita's screen is completely flush with the front panel, that means - a glass layer is put on top of the whole device, not only on top of the 10.3" inner flexible e-ink screen.
The glass is supposed to be scratch resistant, much more difficult to scratch than the plastic e-ink screen of Note. But it can break.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #122
shak3800
Connoisseur
shak3800 began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus E653
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
I think you are wrong about it.
Yes, the 10.3" Mobius e-ink screen itself is flexible, but Mimas, Alita, Note Max, Note 2 - they all have frontlight. And therefore they all have a glass light distributing layer on top of the e-ink screen. Besides, Alita's screen is completely flush with the front panel, that means - a glass layer is put on top of the whole device, not only on top of the 10.3" inner flexible e-ink screen.
The glass is supposed to be scratch resistant, much more difficult to scratch than the plastic e-ink screen of Note. But it can break.
This is what i ve read as well and why i choose not use screen protector since glass is scracth proof. I did ask Likebook support and they told me that Alita has PMMA material svscreen which is basically something similar to plastic but more resistant
shak3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #123
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Too many people are complaining here about the buggy software that runs on this device. However, if you don't use it to annotate, is it worth to buy? Or reading pdf is uncomfortable? (bad reflow, etc).

I have a T80s (1GB RAM) and it's not very fast despite it has a quad-core processor

Last edited by viceant; 11-19-2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Complete
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #124
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
Look here. No 10.3" glass screen exists.
And the light layer cannot be made from glass.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #125
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
Too many people are complaining here about the buggy software that runs on this device. However, if you don't use it to annotate, is it worth to buy? Or reading pdf is uncomfortable? (bad reflow, etc).

I have a T80s (1GB RAM) and it's not very fast despite it has a quad-core processor
Till now, I didnt discover any bug and Im using it as note.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #126
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Look here. No 10.3" glass screen exists.
And the light layer cannot be made from glass.
That is what I said - the e-ink screen itself is flexible, not glass.
The question is what are the additional layers made from, on top of the e-ink screen.
Somebody here mentioned that it is made of PMMA.
If so, that means the top-most layer is PMMA - that is the light diffuser layer, or anti-glare layer. It is PMMA with tiny air bubbles in it.
But what layers are below it, and is there glass anywhere among them?
The next layer - the light guide layer is likely made of glass. Although it might be plastic. It is like a layer of microscopic fiber-optic cable cores. In fiber-optic cables, cores are made of glass, but they might be made of plastic with high refraction index too.
Below those layers we have the light scattering layer, and the capacitance layer.
Still, a thicker glass layer perhaps is added just below the anti-glare PMMA layer, perhaps to make the screen rigid. Even though fiber-optic cables are flexible, the correct and consistent interaction of the light guide layer with the light scattering layer might require them to be rigid.
I am just speculating here.
But if you google, for example, "10.3" flush glass screen" you see that Onyx Boox states on onyxboox.com: "10.3” Flush Glass-based Screen"
As to Alita, google also finds, among other things, a Goodereader.com review where it says about Alita: "A glass screen will also prevent you from scratching the display if you press hard on the stylus".
So it is likely the screens contain glass. It is difficult to tell just from looking at them because of the presence of the anti-glare layer.
I myself have Note, Note 2 and Mimas, and it is difficult to see a difference between Mimas and Note 2, although the screen of pure-plastic Note looks a bit different.

Last edited by parkher; 11-20-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #127
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shak3800 View Post
Thanks everyone for all the info.

One last question. Has anyone managed to install the screen protector successfully without bubbles? Any tips how to install it ?
There are videos on Youtube, but not all of them are made by people who know what they are doing. Try watching more of them.
Basically, you need to do it in a dust-free environment - in a bathroom after running hot shower for a while.
Also, if during the installation process you notice a dust particle (it is easy to notice, because it causes an air bubble to form around it), you still can remove it with the help of an adhesive tape - you lift up the screen protector a bit and touch the dust particle with the tape - the dust particle remains on the tape. Try to spot the dust particles as soon as possible, not after putting the whole protector on but in the process, so that you need to lift back up only a little bit.
Look also for techniques how to align the screen protector correctly before beginning to apply it (the same adhesive tape might be used to attach one edge of the protector in 2-3 or more places to the device - check the alignment, re-attach it with adhesive tape as many times as necessary until you have perfect fit) and how to push air bubbles (those without dust particles in them) to the edge of the screen and out - because it can be done.

So, again:

1. In a very humid shower room with door closed.

2. Clean the screen before applying the protector!

3. Attach one edge of the protector to the reader with several pieces of an adhesive tape so that the screen protector is aligned with the screen perfectly. To do that, place the screen protector on the screen exactly where it should be, and then attach one edge of it with adhesive tape. Try to open and close it as if it were a cover - does it go back onto the screen exactly where it should be, with precision and cannot be moved around? It should not be loose. Add more pieces of tape - more points of attachment, if necessary. You can even attach the whole edge with a continuous stretch of an adhesive tape.
It might be a good idea to attach it to the side rather than to the top or the bottom of the reader. It will have less margin to be loose. Although some people prefer to lay down the protector in the top-bottom direction.
Note 2 has a button in the bottom middle and its screen protector has a rectangular hole for it, so it is an additional thing to consider when deciding where to begin.

4. And then apply the screen protector gradually, beginning from that attached edge.

5. Try to spot dust particles while applying the protector - dust particles can be removed with an adhesive tape if noticed in time.
Attempting to lift one of the corners to remove a dust particle later - it might work, but it might also leave the corner agape, not sticking enough. That is especially bad with a flush screen (Alita, Note 2), the protector goes to the very edge of the device, and if a corner is agape, it can be accidentally opened even more, so better have it sticking well, better not to try to lift a corner when the protector is already put on. Better to spot dust particles immediately, while still laying the protector down.

6. As long as an air bubble does not contain a dust particle, it can be gradually pushed out and removed. Way more difficult to do it if a bubble is in the middle of the screen, better to deal with them immediately while laying down the protector.

Last edited by parkher; 11-19-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #128
PFN
PFN began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue Likebook Alita
Where to download firmware images?

Is there anybody knows where to download full firmware images?
In case of emergency situations like factory reset or unbrick device, It is very useful and sometimes it became only hope.
I know that I can download firmwares for older Boyue readers in their hompage, but I can't find one for Alita.
I contacted Boyue with email and aliexpress chatting but I got nothing.
If anybody knows, please help me.
PFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #129
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
I got the screen protector on with minimal dusting, but then messed with it and made it worse. Lesson: don’t try to fix it, or you’ll make it worse. Wonder if it’s possible to buy a big sheet of this and cut it to size instead of paying $18 for a made to fit one.

For note taking or drawing... is there a way to calibrate the stylus? The point is always a few pixels off from where I expect it, and it’s infuriating.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:40 AM   #130
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
For note taking or drawing... is there a way to calibrate the stylus? The point is always a few pixels off from where I expect it, and it’s infuriating.
Both Onyx Boox Note and Note 2 have calibration.
I did it on Note 2. Now doing on Note:
settings -> extension -> calibration

However, I cannot find (so far) calibration in Mimas. Not sure, perhaps it is just well hidden.
I don't have Alita yet, but it may be the same as Mimas in that regard.
The promised December update to 8.1 may include other stuff, such as calibration...
Old 11-22-2019, 12:50 AM   #131
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFN View Post
Is there anybody knows where to download full firmware images?
And also updates for Mimas and Alita.
And for Note, Note 2, come to think of it.

It is problematic for me to perform OTA updates. I don't even have wi-fi.
Yes, I have a wi-fi antena for my PC, and several routers with wi-fi - but they all are currently disconnected and misplaced, I can't even find them.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #132
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeat View Post
To transfer files easily, I installed whatsapp in my Alita. After I installed whatsapp, I tried to transfer file in the same way as usual as using my phone, bu I could not find the share button in the default built-in file manager and other third party file manager. Besides, while I pressed the share button in whatsapp, it also activated the built-in file manager or other third party one, but the file that I wanted to choose could not be chosen or share.
Anyone have solution? Thanks.
I sideloaded the DroidNAS apk. It’s outdated, but still the best and only single-package SMB server app for Android (which is just sad). And it’s free.

It mounts the Alita as a SMB server, and then I just browse it from my Mac as normal.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:39 PM   #133
Merithyn
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
I sideloaded the DroidNAS apk. It’s outdated, but still the best and only single-package SMB server app for Android (which is just sad). And it’s free.

It mounts the Alita as a SMB server, and then I just browse it from my Mac as normal.
I'm using calibre companion with cloud option to transfer my books from my collection when needed. Works fine.

For big files (like comics and manga) I always just plug it into my computer because any prolonged wifi usage is draining the battery like crazy with this reader. I still have no idea why.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:50 AM   #134
parkher
Evangelist

I am always using FAR plugin PortaDev for all the transfers to the readers with newer android where you have to use Portable Devices API instead of mapping to a drive letter as usually. What can I say, I can do nothing without FAR.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:38 AM   #135
parkher
Evangelist

Just got Alita. So now I have all 4 of them.
The grey cover is so beautiful!
Perhaps not as practical as the black one, though. And I don't even know how the black one looks.
Still, get the grey one!!!