Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #121
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Folks, I have tried the new Icons and fonts from the hack list; they are so much nicer than what comes with the stock reader. I highly recommend them for anyone on the fence!

I wonder if more "themes" might be added in the future to make the unit personalized and feeling fresh! hint, hint..

Thanks again for these hacks and the hackbuilder!

Thanks,
Fabian.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:44 PM   #122
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
Folks, I have tried the new Icons and fonts from the hack list; they are so much nicer than what comes with the stock reader. I highly recommend them for anyone on the fence!

I wonder if more "themes" might be added in the future to make the unit personalized and feeling fresh! hint, hint..

Thanks,
Fabian.

To be honest I'm surprised no one made a icon set besides the one we have now. Why don't you try to make one? The "instructions" can be found here:

CLICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
It might be possible to clear it, but I'd be surprised if the extra space could be reclaimed for books. Then again, I didn't expect the blanking behavior to work as it does either.

Diablo probably knows more, as he's messed around with the graphics stuff more than I have.
I don't have an answer on that right now. I remember an area on the screen being described for the book, but I'm not sure if it was in these xml files or the ones of the Connect software.

Last edited by diabloNL; 09-16-2007 at 05:47 PM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #123
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It might be possible to clear it, but I'd be surprised if the extra space could be reclaimed for books. Then again, I didn't expect the blanking behavior to work as it does either.

Diablo probably knows more, as he's messed around with the graphics stuff more than I have.
I hope someone sometime can figure out if this is possible or not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #124
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I know why there haven't been any other iconsets posted for the reader. First, it's a very fiddly process. It takes patience even if you're not painstakingly drawing each icon yourself. Second, it's going to be hard to top DiabloNL's work. He managed to make a clean, consistent theme that works well.

I tried pulling icons out of a stock set for my window manager last night and making my own icon theme. The results were lacking in the two areas I mentioned: cleanliness and consistency. I'd hate to have anyone review it. It's doable, but it takes a good eye for design to make it work right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post

Thanks,
Fabian.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #125
ryanmacl
ryanmacl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Clock/Time Zone Problem

I have used Hack Builder to apply various hacks, including the clock. Unfortunately, it is showing the time as half an hour faster than my computer when it syncs (Reader showing 10:30 and computer showing 10:00). I believe the problem may be because I am stationed in Afghanistan and the time zone is +4:30 GMT, and whatever is doing the syncing is rounding to +5. Is there any way to fix this in the code, as opposed to changing my time zone, changing the time, syncing the reader, updating to internet time, and repeating every time i plug in the Reader?

Any help is greatly appreciated, things like this just bug me.
ryanmacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #126
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm afraid I don't know enough about the innards of that hack to answer your question (though if the folks around here can't help then it just can't be done), but I do want to welcome you to MobileRead, ryanmacl, and more importantly, thank you for your service.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'm afraid I don't know enough about the innards of that hack to answer your question (though if the folks around here can't help then it just can't be done), but I do want to welcome you to MobileRead, ryanmacl, and more importantly, thank you for your service.
Just merged this one into the hack builder thread so it will be seen and maybe someone can fix the problem.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #128
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Hm, I'll take a look at the code and see why it might be doing that. Diablo'd probably have a better idea.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #129
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

It looks like it's a Sony function that's taking care of the time zone.

I could probably put together a special hack just for that strange case. I'll try it out in the next couple days. You may have to do some testing for me, Ryan.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #130
ryanmacl

Quote:
It looks like it's a Sony function that's taking care of the time zone.

I could probably put together a special hack just for that strange case. I'll try it out in the next couple days. You may have to do some testing for me, Ryan.
I'd be glad to help out wherever I can, and thanks for taking a look.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:39 AM   #131
Nogg
Literate!

Here's my first pass. I set my computer to Afghanistan time zone and it appears to be synching with the Reader now.

Put the attached file in the "hacks" directory of Hack Builder, then run the program. The hack is named Afghanistan Clock.
Attached Files
File Type: xml AfghanistanClock.xml (3.7 KB, 516 views)
Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #132
ryanmacl

Quote:
Here's my first pass. I set my computer to Afghanistan time zone and it appears to be synching with the Reader now.

Put the attached file in the "hacks" directory of Hack Builder, then run the program. The hack is named Afghanistan Clock.
Perfecto! Thanks a bunch, that makes me feel quite a bit better. Thanks for your help, Nogg!
Old 10-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #133
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
I've been offline for a few weeks enjoying this wonderful reader. I certainly use it more having these hacks available.

I know most folks have day jobs and any feature additions which are made are incredibly appreciated, it makes the Sony reader a much greater product than it was out of the box.

So, thank you again for this great set of enhancements!

As I am sure some other folks are wondering about, have there been any success with creating a play/pause button command lately? An icon would be tops, but certainly not required.

I had a thought about the icon, I was wondering, can a currently available icon be displayed in a different part of the status bar? A bit of a dirty hack, but what if the "M" for medium-size was displayed to the right of the status bar, indicating that "Music" was playing?

I know I am reaching here, but, alas, my battery has drained twice so far because my clumsy finger pushed a button without realizing it. I know I should be more careful or change my button mappings, and I am certainly now making an effort to do so..

PS: The flashing menu command sequence of 5,6,9 are clear in the Readme.txt file but I had to hunt for this file the 1st few times. Could this sequence be displayed somewhere when the user clicks "Build hacks", instead of a simple "OK" dialog box?

Something Like:

Hacks Built OK!

Flashing sequence:
Load memory card into reader, wait for flashing menu.
Select 5, wait for menu to re-appear.
Select 6, wait for menu to re-appear.
Select 9, wait for screen to blank and pull card out.

Thanks again for the hack builder!!
Fabian.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #134
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Actually, you don't have to pull the card out. When the reboot is done and you are back to the menu, just hit menu and it will continue on.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #135
Nogg
Literate!

It's not a problem to display an icon. The problem is in figuring out if music is currently playing, which I haven't yet been able to do.

I've modified my personal flasher so that one button press does it all. I've been thinking about developing a Hack Builder flasher that basically just strips out all of the other options and reduces it to a single selection "Apply Hacks". I'll play with that a bit and let you know.