Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-24-2017, 06:10 AM   #121
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Have yet to see an ereader or a tablet with a battery designed to be easily replaceable by the user. Mind you, that would be a great selling point were a company ever to offer such a feature.

They used to be around: Ectaco, Hanlin, Astak, ...?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #122
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
They used to be around: Ectaco, Hanlin, Astak, ...?
Never knew that. Thanks. Wish they would bring them back. An easily user replaceable battery would be a great selling point.

However, I imagine that they have gone the way of the dinosaur. Planned obsolescence being just so much more profitable... and so readily accepted.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #123
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
I don't think that replaceable battery would make a huge difference. Look at the world of mobile phones: devices with replaceable batteries are now going extinct and most of people didn't even realize it.

If you need more power it's better to have a powerbank around that can be used for various devices. Standard powerbanks are also cheaper than e-ink batteries and comes in various shapes and sizes.

If your battery breaks and needs replacement you just need a screwdriver and fiddle with it a little.

Making batteries replaceable requires a complete redesign of hardware and less space for other components - In my opinion it's not worth it.
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #124
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
I don't think that replaceable battery would make a huge difference. Look at the world of mobile phones: devices with replaceable batteries are now going extinct and most of people didn't even realize it.

If you need more power it's better to have a powerbank around that can be used for various devices. Standard powerbanks are also cheaper than e-ink batteries and comes in various shapes and sizes.

If your battery breaks and needs replacement you just need a screwdriver and fiddle with it a little.

Making batteries replaceable requires a complete redesign of hardware and less space for other components - In my opinion it's not worth it.
A "complete redesign of hardware" seems like hyperbole? For most of the devices I've seen, the physical specs change with each new model, so I'm not sure I see a problem.

I don't want a powerbank, I want to be able to replace the battery when it goes bad, or starts to degrade (especially for phones and tablets).

IMO, a replaceable battery is worth it and I would prefer one.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #125
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't want a powerbank, I want to be able to replace the battery when it goes bad, or starts to degrade (especially for phones and tablets).

Exactly. To have to cart around a powerbank as well as the device? Kind of defeats the purpose of having ultra slim devices.

Also, if one has to use a powerbank to operate the device because its existing battery will no longer hold a charge, one would not be able to transfer files via the micro usb port because it would be in use. That would be very limiting indeed.

And as for easily replacing non-replaceable batteries as they currently are configured on many devices, it can be done, but is a bit of a nuisance. And from what I have heard, some manufacturers are now making it more difficult to access the battery to prevent people from doing that.
Advert
Old 02-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #126
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Quote:
A "complete redesign of hardware" seems like hyperbole? For most of the devices I've seen, the physical specs change with each new model, so I'm not sure I see a problem.

I don't understand your comment,in every e-reader or mobile phone I know you can replace the battery when it degrades or is broken. It is just a little bit harder in some models than others.

I think that the problem is that people are SO lazy now. Ideally the would like to a have a magic button that will make the battery to pop out so they can insert a new one. If you ask them to use a screwdriver for couple minutes - that's too much!

Also I think we should talk about 2 situations separately:

1. The battery is broke or need replacing - the powerbank is useless, you simply need to replace the battery.

2. You need extra power during e.g. long trip - having a powerbank instead of extra battery makes much more sense.

Not everyone wants to have ultra slim devices - I personally am happy with the sizes of mobile phones now.

And again, making batteries easily replaceable in most cases requires a completely different architecture of components inside and most importantly takes more space that could be used for more interesting functionalities.

For me requiring easily replaceable batteries in e-readers where batteries usually last for years is a childish request.

It's not worth the effort/research time that could be spent for more pressing issues like screen quality, responsiveness and stability of a device.
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:09 PM   #127
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post
DIY

*The photo is from internet.
I would appreciate a link to the article, my googling skills must be bad

My input to the discussion whether it matter or not is it matter for me. I have all my devices with user replaceable battery I am really glad about that. The Onyx Max reader is my first gadget with hidden battery but I had no choice to that matter as there is no alternative on the market. For everything else I just don't have to buy yet any monolithic unit. I have still bought this year newest phone with user replaceable battery. And yes, gadgets in my possession usually outlive their batteries and I'm still happy with them after battery replacement
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #128
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
in every e-reader or mobile phone I know you can replace the battery when it degrades or is broken. It is just a little bit harder in some models than others.

I think that the problem is that people are SO lazy now. Ideally the would like to a have a magic button that will make the battery to pop out so they can insert a new one. If you ask them to use a screwdriver for couple minutes - that's too much!
If it only involved removing a few screws to get at the battery in order to replace it, that would be fine. However, that is not always the case.

For the tablet which I took the back off of, there was a ribbon cable which snugly extended across the entire length of the battery. It was unlike any of the ribbon cables in any of the videos I found online, and did not lift up the same way other ribbons cables seemed to. It took quite a while before I discovered how it could be removed and replaced. (Of course, now that I know what to do, it will be easy to replace again should there ever be a next time.)

And some manufacturers seem to purposefully make it difficult to replace their batteries. So much so that it appears to even be difficult for them to replace it for you. Apparently, for a $99 fee, Apple will send you an entirely new ipad rather than replacing the battery in your existing one. The catch is that you will lose all data and settings which you had on your previous device.

Quote:
Dead iPad battery? Never mind replacing it, Apple just sends another iPad for $99

https://www.engadget.com/2010/03/13/...ust-sends-ano/

Quote:
And again, making batteries easily replaceable in most cases requires a completely different architecture of components inside and most importantly takes more space that could be used for more interesting functionalities.
It really needn't take much, if any, more space. Nor, with the exception perhaps of waterproof devices, need it take much investment to design. As was already pointed out, manufacturers are continually redesigning their devices as they come out with newer models. Hence the need to continually buy new protective cases/covers with each subsequent model.

I don't find anything childish about wishing to keep an otherwise well functioning device still going. I find it more childish to needlessly insist on throw away devices with little thought for the environmental harm that results from so doing.

Last edited by Question Mark; 02-24-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:27 AM   #129
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
If it only involved removing a few screws to get at the battery in order to replace it, that would be fine. However, that is not always the case.

I'm thinking the same thing.

For the conversation around this subject apart from conspiracy theory I think there are cost saving factors driving the model.

1. Time to market. Designing a compartment in the case to access the battery is some engineering effort so it costs and it takes some time.

2. Space/size. Indeed the battery compartment adds some space if even a few millimeters.

3. Cost. Standalone battery have to have some circuit inside which will protect it from accidental short-circuit when it is outside the device, also it is the responsibility of the chip to prevent blow up during charge. This circuit makes it tiny bit bigger and more expensive not to mention that such battery require certification, which costs, to be admitted for sale.

The above costs can be divided by pre sale and post sale per unit. Of course the post sale costs are just peanuts and nobody will complain that his new gadget have to cost $105 instead of $100. The pre sale costs are just one time, but if you account for the risk that the device may not sell well or may not end in the market at all, they may be seen as huge.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #130
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
We will see how app compatibility will improve this summer with new ereaders having new i.MX7 hardware supporting newer Android versions.
Have you got any news about it? I didn't know such I.MX7 devices were expected to arrive this summer.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #131
Question Mark
Wizard

A clearer picture of the 13.3" GoodEreader seems to be emerging. Users seem to be very happy with build quality, but frustrated by software issues and lack of basic support.

Quote:
rafe purnell • 4 hours ago

I have tried various versions of the google app store and various versions of google play services. All crash before I am able to perform updates or installs (have now given up with this)
I have found the Dolphin Browser from the GoodReader app store to be solid and reliable.
Amazon Kindle 4.8.0.188 works well for me so far
Evernote 7.2 seems to work ok and takes notes etc (I need to use it hard to test it). I wil try more recent versions.
Nova launcher is fun as the animations can be shut off but it really need a White theme (still looking)

As I now have a machine I can use I might try some other fun apps plus some productivity.

When the reader is running... ie between crashed... it is a great piece of kit. I do hope that the netronix team or goodereader can get the os stable and the Play Store functioning reliably.

Question.. does anyone have the Google Play Store working reliably?

The forum is a great idea but tricky to work with... and it seems to be down right now... hence reporting here.

Throughout this whole campaign the GoodEreader team have been really bad at updating. I am seeing the same consistent behaviour in the support threads. Some very simply question are not getting answered. This worries me.

The simplest of those questions is.. Will this device be getting a firmware upgrade to android 5.0? I wish to also ask.. Will this device be getting a firmware upgrade at all?

To finish my ramble. I want to say. I love the device. Its big.. light.. not too slow.. build seems great.

It just needs stability which I think is alllllll software.

Would love to know what you guys have experienced with the device... any tips and tricks etc..

http://goodereader.com/blog/good-e-reader-13-3-support
Old 02-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #132
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
A clearer picture of the 13.3" GoodEreader seems to be emerging. Users seem to be very happy with build quality, but frustrated by software issues and lack of basic support.
I the hardware is done by Netronix, the quality is good.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #133
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
Have you got any news about it? I didn't know such I.MX7 devices were expected to arrive this summer.
I have been playing few days with Onyx Boox Max which has the same CPU as Good-E-reader and I must say it is a bit too slow for ordinary Android apps. One of the apps I have tried also died with popup "app not responding, do you want to wait or close". Funny thing is that I managed to get it start by constantly tapping the screen - does it give more CPU privilege to the app in focus?

Nonetheless, the Neo reader is excellent and the hardware is just good for it. The culprit is that it takes awkwardly long time to switch between pdfs. Luckily I have found a really good piece of software: ReLaunch on F-Droid. https://f-droid.org/repository/brows...asoft.relaunch
It can run as app or replace the launcher, just awesome! The build in launcher is designed for book readers. It totally does not fit the big device. If you have a handful of technical pdfs where you switch between them frequently try the above software.

It even comes with full sources on GitHub so there are open possibilities
Old 02-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #134
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
I have found a really good piece of software: ReLaunch on F-Droid. https://f-droid.org/repository/brows...asoft.relaunch
It can run as app or replace the launcher, just awesome! The build in launcher is designed for book readers. It totally does not fit the big device. If you have a handful of technical pdfs where you switch between them frequently try the above software.

It even comes with full sources on GitHub so there are open possibilities
It is really nice! It seems there also exist new versions, e.g. here: 1.4.4 the page is in russian. I'm not sure why they don't continue to develop on
github. It also has integration with Dropbox, which I haven't tried yet. (Edit: I tried it. Dropbox doesn't allow integration because the app is in review...)

I have a question: did you figure out how to change the sorting of files by name vs by date in the filemanager of re-launch? I find it very useful.

Last edited by ghostwheel; 02-27-2017 at 08:34 PM.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #135
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
the hardware is done by Netronix, the quality is good.
I don't doubt that the hardware is good. That seems to be the one consistent comment so far. Hopefully, they will eventually be able to work out the software bugs which it seems are still significant:

Quote:
Fregis • 3 days ago

BTW, i have "upgrated" mine...
Now there is a needle pinned full time on the right side next to the pen.
Handy...

rafe purnell • 3 days ago

what did you upgrade?

Fregis • 2 days ago

Sorry
It was meant to be a joke.
The "update" is a needle i keep with the reader full time...
...in case it crashes and i would need to reset

rafe purnell • a day ago

Ah.. I have upgraded mine with a dry marker and a board wipe.

So desperate for an actual update I didn't see the joke...

http://goodereader.com/blog/good-e-reader-13-3-support

On a related note, I wonder if Netronix is now regretting that they teamed up with the crowd at GoodEreader. That can't be helping their image all that much:

Quote:
rkgemini
1 hour ago

i don’t know why it is so difficult to post an update that clearly states what order numbers have received it so far. Is that a difficult ask? We’re not demanding the product right now. All we’re asking for is the status so that we can estimate when our item is likely to be shipped. Either do that or refund the money please.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1...ader#/comments

Last edited by Question Mark; 02-28-2017 at 10:06 PM.