Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-28-2024, 03:52 AM   #1186
zzjing
zzjing began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hi kiwidude,

I know this is an odd request, but since it seems that Amazon is removing sideloaded books marked as EBOK, I'm trying to find a quick way to mark all my sideloaded books as PDOC instead. Is it possible to add another item to the fix menu to do just that? It should be just like "Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire" but instead of setting cdetype to EBOK, you set it to PDOC. It would be a godsend. I am trying to change them one by one with MobiMetaEditor and it's taking forever.

Thanks for the great work.
zzjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 12:30 PM   #1187
zzjing

I decided to try to look at the code and see if I can hack it. In the process, I think I have found a bug in "Check missing EBOK cdetype". It seems that exth.cdetype is a byte string, so in check_mobi.py:
Code:
if exth.cdetype == 'EBOK':
always fails, and should be changed to
Code:
if exth.cdetype == b'EBOK':
Hope this helps.
Advert
Old 06-28-2024, 04:18 PM   #1188
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think that was a bug and they've stopped/fixed it?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 05:41 PM   #1189
zzjing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think that was a bug and they've stopped/fixed it?
Are you referring to the problem of sideloaded books disappearing on Kindle? It just happened to me for a second time. That's how I found my way here.

Where did it say it was fixed?
Old 06-28-2024, 11:39 PM   #1190
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjing View Post
I decided to try to look at the code and see if I can hack it. In the process, I think I have found a bug in "Check missing EBOK cdetype". It seems that exth.cdetype is a byte string, so in check_mobi.py:
Code:
if exth.cdetype == 'EBOK':
always fails, and should be changed to
Code:
if exth.cdetype == b'EBOK':
Hope this helps.
Thanks for that, I can apply that fix. However I admit I know zero about MOBI format (this feature was added by someone else to the plugin). From looking at the code the existing "Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire" code actually sets the EBOK value to the asin for the book. So I am confused as to what you would try to do by adding another "Fix" feature to this plugin - what else is it going to set the EBOK value to?

In other words - if I push a new version of the plugin that corrects the bug allowing you to identify MOBI files that have no EBOK header set, is there any reason why you would not just then use the existing "Fix ASIN" feature to then change the books?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2024, 11:42 PM   #1191
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quality Check v1.13.11 released

Release Notes
https://github.com/kiwidude68/calibr...check-v1.13.11
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 12:29 AM   #1192
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Thanks for that, I can apply that fix. However I admit I know zero about MOBI format (this feature was added by someone else to the plugin). From looking at the code the existing "Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire" code actually sets the EBOK value to the asin for the book. So I am confused as to what you would try to do by adding another "Fix" feature to this plugin - what else is it going to set the EBOK value to?

In other words - if I push a new version of the plugin that corrects the bug allowing you to identify MOBI files that have no EBOK header set, is there any reason why you would not just then use the existing "Fix ASIN" feature to then change the books?
There is an ongoing issue with Kindles and Amazon removing books. It seems that if the ebook CDEType is set to EBOK, the ASIN belongs to an existing Amazon ebook and your Kindle has not synced with Amazon for quite a while, Amazon's end decides that the book should not be on your Kindle and deletes it. One suggested fix is to set the ebook CDEType to PDOC.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 12:42 AM   #1193
zzjing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post

In addition to fixing the ASIN, the existing "Fix ASIN" feature sets the cdetype to EBOK in the MOBI header. The problem is that sideloaded books marked as EBOK started to get deleted after the kindle device gets off Wifi for an extended period of time. This happened to me twice, and there is a long thread about it. So I'm trying to set the cdetype to something other than EBOK to prevent my sideloaded books from being deleted by amazon.

Fortunately the code is pretty straightforward and it's an easy hack. So now I can change it to whatever I want with a local copy of the plugin.