Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #106
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Website very close now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSays View Post
Thank you! Looking forward to seeing the new site
Dear All:

Every morning I check and every morning we are a little closer. Trying to do a new store is SO hard. The hard part is doing both the back end and front end at once. Every time you click a button that backend comes into play. We are getting close. What takes time is setting up 200,000 pay eBooks by category. We have ten categories we finally went with. Trying to decide if a book is action/adventure or mystery/crime is not so easy. Getting everything right can drive you nuts.

Plus, we are hiring a part time person to do reviews and answer problems and correspond with book lovers. This person will be a college student who lives for books and wants to learn the industry from the inside out. You cannot begin to imagine what comes up when you do this.

Anyway, my best guess is the cut-in date will be March 15. This will be a Soft Run meaning only MobileRead Forum for the first two weeks. Everything will work... we are just looking for feedback and taking recommendations and selling!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #107
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Thanks for keeping us updated! March 15 must be a great day for ebooks... that's the day my local library will start offering ebook checkouts with Overdrive! I can hardly wait!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #108
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
With regard to categories, I am surprised the industry does not include that as metadata in each book.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #109
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
With regard to categories, I am surprised the industry does not include that as metadata in each book.
Even Baen can't be consistent with the Publisher name

Baen
Baen Pub Ent
Baen Books

Amazon is worse. Meta data is a smörgåsbord

I spent more time cleaning and trimming tags within Calibre than any other operation.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #110
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Thanks for letting us know the start up date. Can't wait!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #111
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Even Baen can't be consistent with the Publisher name

Baen
Baen Pub Ent
Baen Books

Amazon is worse. Meta data is a smörgåsbord

I spent more time cleaning and trimming tags within Calibre than any other operation.
why didn't I expect that !
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:24 AM   #112
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post

why didn't I expect that !
Naïve? About metadata, it happens the same to me. Nobody puts description, subject doesn't exist...
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:28 AM   #113
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
RobertB, I had several classes in library school on how to tell what genre a book was in, and it boils down to "put stuff where your patron will find it." Sounds simple, but it isn't. But, if you can be consistent, no matter what you do, it'll help. If you always put David Weber in Fantasy, I'll find him, even though some of his series are (arguably) SciFi.

Metadata is a mess because anyone can play, and everyone will categorize things slightly (at least) differently, if they bother (and most won't). In library terms, without a controlled vocabulary, you end up with a dog's breakfast. Unfortunately, with controlled vocabulary, people complain it is hard (I don't think it is, but I had Dewey Decimal System figured out by the time I was 4).

I get amused by Internet folks trying to reinvent library cataloging practises. Haven't seen anything yet that makes me want to give up Library of Congress subject headings (as flawed as they are) and a good old fashioned classification system, like Dewey or even LC.

And did you remember that 15 March is the Ides of March?
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:35 AM   #114
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIbHom View Post
I get amused by Internet folks trying to reinvent library cataloging practises. Haven't seen anything yet that makes me want to give up Library of Congress subject headings (as flawed as they are) and a good old fashioned classification system, like Dewey or even LC.
If publishers go with it (and put it into their books), OK for me.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:44 AM   #115
QIbHom
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
If publishers go with it (and put it into their books), OK for me.
Check the verso page. The cataloging data is there. LC subject headings, LC and DDC (Dewey) call numbers, all that stuff. Of course, some publishers are more complete than others and old books won't have them. What can you expect from the people who brought us the ISBN (International Standard Book Number), which is neither international nor standard (nor unique to each title).
Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #116
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Check the verso page. The cataloging data is there. LC subject headings, LC and DDC (Dewey) call numbers, all that stuff. Of course, some publishers are more complete than others and old books won't have them. What can you expect from the people who brought us the ISBN (International Standard Book Number), which is neither international nor standard (nor unique to each title).
I can know all the cataloging data, that's OK. But if I HAVE TO INCLUDE IT in the metadata, and the publishers don't give it to me (Usually they don't, I can say you, and I don't talk about old books), it doesn't solve my problem.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #117
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
RobertB, I had several classes in library school on how to tell what genre a book was in, and it boils down to "put stuff where your patron will find it." Sounds simple, but it isn't. But, if you can be consistent, no matter what you do, it'll help.

If you always put David Weber in Fantasy, I'll find him, even though some of his series are (arguably) SciFi.
Don't bother Splitting SF and Fantasy.
The line between has been smudged forever.

And Weber is SF. Honkin' Big Ray Guns and Space Ships
Old 03-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #118
QIbHom
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I can know all the cataloging data, that's OK. But if I HAVE TO INCLUDE IT in the metadata, and the publishers don't give it to me (Usually they don't, I can say you, and I don't talk about old books), it doesn't solve my problem.
Agreed. This is a major pain for libraries, too. There are ways to add the metadata and places to get it (even for free), but it is still a pain.

theducks, what about Weber's Hradani trilogy? Some of the stuff he's written with Flint? Granted, the Honorverse books are mostly SF, but empathic cats?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #119
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Agreed. This is a major pain for libraries, too. There are ways to add the metadata and places to get it (even for free), but it is still a pain.

theducks, what about Weber's Hradani trilogy? Some of the stuff he's written with Flint? Granted, the Honorverse books are mostly SF, but empathic cats?
Yea! Bahzel.

As I said, The line is smudged. Pern, Telz Amberdon.

And Cats are empathetic. Mine is saying, "quit pokin' those keys and feed me"
Old 03-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #120
QIbHom
Connoisseur

Bahzel rocks! I wish he'd do more Hradani books. They are fun.

I'm not sure the line was ever really there, besides as "SF=real (i.e., stuff I like), fantasy=bad" kind of thing. The only thing worse than an "is it SF or fantasy" pissing contest is two library staff who read those genres (oddly, we seem to tend towards liking mysteries and looking down on SF readers) having the same argument.

My cats hate all electronic devices, except those that provide a warm surface to sleep on.