Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #106
GA Russell
Ford to the rescue?
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I decided to also ask Aluratek what online retailers sell the Libre Pro package complete as described on their webpage.
I received Aluratek's response today:

"I received your inquiry regarding our ebook.

All of our Libre’s come with a pouch, SD Card, and Power Cord.

Currently, you can go to www.electronicexpress.com located in TN to purchase. They are one of few retailers who has product as we have been Selling out."
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #107
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtq View Post
see if this works, here's the Aluratek Libre firmware v0.15e:

http://drop.io/qlnmxbz
Well, the link works, but, sadly, the firmware does not.

Have you tested to see if your Libre can go back to normal firmware from M218B? Just curious.

Thanks for trying!
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #108
qtq
qtq began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505, Aluratek Libre
I just prepared the Libre v0.15h on SD card and tried to overlay on my M218B v0.44. I got the "Firmware upgrade failed! Please check the availability of the firmware..." message. I RESET and renamed my DeviceID.log, KSDeviceID.log and Signature.log files to a different extension and tried to flash again and got the same error.

It seems like Libre v0.15h is looking for some positive Aluratek signature. I had backed up the Aluratek files before I flashed to M218B but there were not even those three files DeviceID.log , KSDeviceID.log and Signature.log found in the backup. I had planned to stay with the Dr Easy firmware in the near future anyways but it is sad that Aluratek had put on these measures. If they leave it 'open' it will increase the sale of the Aluratek units.
qtq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #109
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had suspected as much. I wonder, though, about the large difference in firmware sizes. Perhaps the fault is more in the Ectaco/M218B side. I found that if I rename the Aluratek firmware to ebook-etc-etc.bin as the Ectaco/M218B firmware is named, it will get past the first failure screen. However, after trying to transfer for a while, it fails with the same error. I would be surprised if even with the old firmware it was possible to convert TO the Libre.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #110
GA Russell
Ford to the rescue?
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I received Aluratek's response today:

"I received your inquiry regarding our ebook.

All of our Libre’s come with a pouch, SD Card, and Power Cord.

Currently, you can go to www.electronicexpress.com located in TN to purchase. They are one of few retailers who has product as we have been Selling out."
I have received a second response from Aluratek tonight which says in part:

"We have couple others as well like HHGregg who has them
in store, TigerDirect, and Frys.com should have as well in limited
quantities."
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 01:25 AM   #111
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
jetBook open box on NewEgg for $116.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16858723004R
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #112
GA Russell
Ford to the rescue?

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before. Frys.com is offering the Aluratek Libre for $149.99. But it says, "Call for availability."

http://www.frys.com/product/6049268?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Old 12-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #113
Kralik
Guru

With the help of sokbas's instructions, we can now see the internals of the jetBook AND Aluratek firmwares! Indeed, there is a check in the Aluratek firmware that kicks you out if certain conditions are not met. I'm going to experiment a bit and see if I can work around it.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #114
Kralik
Guru

From snooping around in the Libre firmware, there are references to the jetBook *everywhere.* My guess is that Aluratek took Ectaco's work and modified it for their own purposes. With the extras measures they took to prevent cross-flashing, it makes me a little irritated at them.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #115
GA Russell
Ford to the rescue?

Regarding the Libre:

The Frys.com $149 price is still good, but it is on backorder.

The lowest in stock price I can find is the electronicexpress.com deal at $169.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #116
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Regarding the Libre:

The Frys.com $149 price is still good, but it is on backorder.

The lowest in stock price I can find is the electronicexpress.com deal at $169.
I was able to get the Libre in white at Tigerdirect.com. $179.99 - $21.96 Bing cashback=$158.03 with free shipping and NO tax. Arrived Friday and wife already wrapped it up before I could see it. Just checked and they are still in stock.
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #117
GA Russell
Ford to the rescue?

Thanks uR. What is the deal with Bing cashback? Is that something you have to sign up for, or is it automatic with the sale?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #118
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Thanks uR. What is the deal with Bing cashback? Is that something you have to sign up for, or is it automatic with the sale?
Bing cashback is tied to Microsofts Bing search. You can find out more specifics here:

http://www.discoverbing.com/cashback/

You have to register for Bing unless you already have a Windows Live ID through one of the Microsoft service such as Xbox Live, Hotmail, Messenger, Music etc.

If you search various keywords on Bing you can find merchants offering a cashback percentage. As with Tigerdirect.com I found that they were offering 12.8% cashback through Bing.

You have to wait about 60 days for the cashback to be available, but I am patient.
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #119
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Newegg has the Jetbook Lite for $117.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #120
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Newegg has the Jetbook Lite for $117.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65471

I already purchased 3 units . They have regular jetBooks Black and White for $149.99
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote