Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-05-2024, 02:27 PM   #106
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
In case folk have become CL rusty
The command prompt can help you with folder and file names;
After typing the command, start typing the (file) path, hit Tab, it will complete as far as it can while being unique. Just add some more letters, Tab, repeat until you arrive
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 02:37 PM   #107
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
In case folk have become CL rusty
The command prompt can help you with folder and file names;
After typing the command, start typing the (file) path, hit Tab, it will complete as far as it can while being unique. Just add some more letters, Tab, repeat until you arrive
I'm not rusty, I'm completely ignorant.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2024, 04:09 PM   #108
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Personally, I love the command line and using batch/script files to allow the computer to do the repetitive work that computers are designed to do.

Rather funny in a way as Microsoft servers move to a PowerShell script driven environment with the GUI being an optional install.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 04:24 PM   #109
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Rather funny in a way as Microsoft servers move to a PowerShell script driven environment with the GUI being an optional install.
Not as funny as about 25 years ago when MS was making big incursions into some server farms and some admin asked a USENET group for KVM switch recommendations for high end servers. He got a reply that high end servers don't need a keyboard, mouse, or video card.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 05:28 PM   #110
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Not as funny as about 25 years ago etc
MS was big in servers on Internet and Linux 2%. Others were Solaris, various UNIX and others.
Now about 98% of public access servers on Internet run Linux.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2024, 12:32 PM   #111
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Not as funny as about 25 years ago when MS was making big incursions into some server farms and some admin asked a USENET group for KVM switch recommendations for high end servers. He got a reply that high end servers don't need a keyboard, mouse, or video card.
Now I know another who is a computer fossil
USNET, How many of us bootstrapped ourselves into the networking age.

I had a KVM connected to my Netware 4 server. I would punch over to it about once a month to see if there were any messages. If it was NT, that would have been waaay more frequently
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 01:34 PM   #112
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still have two 30 yo KVM for VGA & PS/2, currently wasting space.
I recently bought an HDMI & USB one for the library. Not much more expensive than an HDMI switcher, but not for servers.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:12 PM   #113
foice
Enthusiast
foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Android reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm.... you do realize that your post is a trifle risible since it is a response to my post.

foice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 07:16 PM   #114
foice
Enthusiast
foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Android reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by foice View Post
You know what would be useful and may even 99% solve the issue? Having a "Save to disk" that saves _only_ the covers of the book, with some well formatted names. Then I can throw the cover images in some graphics program and do all the "messy" organization I want there.
Any ideas how to save to disk only the covers of the selected ebooks?
foice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 03:25 PM   #115
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I sort of lost the thread trying to read through all this. If I understand correctly, aside from book spine graphics, you are looking for something like a playlist for books you want to read. One where you can sort them arbitrarily. Is that essentially it?

If so, could you possibly do that on one of the book sites? Goodreads, LibraryThing or The Storygraph?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 04:21 PM   #116
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I sort of lost the thread trying to read through all this. If I understand correctly, aside from book spine graphics, you are looking for something like a playlist for books you want to read. One where you can sort them arbitrarily. Is that essentially it?

If so, could you possibly do that on one of the book sites? Goodreads, LibraryThing or The Storygraph?
Or add a playlist column on Calibre with whatever numbers and sort on it.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:42 PM   #117
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Or add a playlist column on Calibre with whatever numbers and sort on it.
Yeah, likely the best way. I can understand what is wanted because I make playlists on my podcast app.

Calibre doesn't have different screens like a podcast app, just your one main library. So making a column and assigning random numbers seems the best workaround, assuming you are using calibre to do it.

I am surprised Goodreads or one of the others I mentioned doesn't have some reading list functionality like that.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:54 PM   #118
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Yeah, likely the best way. I can understand what is wanted because I make playlists on my podcast app.

Calibre doesn't have different screens like a podcast app, just your one main library. So making a column and assigning random numbers seems the best workaround, assuming you are using calibre to do it.

I am surprised Goodreads or one of the others I mentioned doesn't have some reading list functionality like that.
The Storygraph will make recommendations from one's TBR, inlcuding 'random' suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upnext.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	205703  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 04:53 AM   #119
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:

Calibre doesn't have different screens like a podcast app, just your one main library.
Though the list can be filtered to be smaller (search) or a virtual library.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:20 AM   #120
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Though the list can be filtered to be smaller (search) or a virtual library.
Because I'm a nerd with no life, I was thinking about this this morning in the gym shower.

Just create a tag like 'to read' or 'TBR' or whatever. You can filter by that tag and then use that custom column to add numbers. Then set the view to cover grid. (The spine thing is just some skeuomorphic nonsense that would require lots of work.) You could have it set in maybe ten minutes.

Tags
cover and books, cover art, display