Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2022, 12:22 PM   #106
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
On Kobos site there’s a “feedback” button on the far right hand side. Note I think it’s disabled on mobile browsers, and any Adblock software seems to hide it automatically. I found it using Microsoft edge or whatever MS is calling their browser these days. From there you should have general feedback, self help, and customer care. You’d want general feedback.

From there pick buy an ereader, no, the ereader, and then type what the issue is in the text field.

I don’t know if the first three things matter but they are the closest I can find. You can also do the customer care option.

I did both back when the Forma launched and had some issues with the whole slide to unlock thing and requiring a passcode. The issue was pretty quickly fast. I’d done the customer care first got someone with a brain who understood I was reporting an obvious bug, and said they’d escalate it on their end but I should also do the feedback thing.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:32 PM   #107
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Sure. But if the font was built with ligatures and ligatures have been enabled by the user with 'Optimize Legibility' and those ligatures still don't work, that is a bug regardless.
Don't get me wrong, I think Kobo should fix it. I'm just pointing out Jon thinking the font not showing on devices is a bug, even if the font is also bugged to not show ligatures.

Basically as it stands there are possibly two issues with the font

1) Ligatures not working despite ligatures being present in the font files

2) Rakuten Serif / Sans both not showing up on some devices for some users (though this does need more data and confirmation)

Both are bugs, both should be fixed. Jon was implying only the first one was important, and then once that was fixed the second could be considered worrying about.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2022, 12:35 PM   #108
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
On Kobos site there’s a “feedback” button on the far right hand side.
Thanks man. Adblock was doing what it does. Found the button and reported the issue. I think I'll leave adblock off for Kobo.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:57 PM   #109
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
No, the ligatures do not work. I read after posting last night and ffi doesn't work. Neither does fl or any of the other ones I know to look for.

As proof, see the attached images of the word 'insufficient' displayed in Rakuten Serif, Rakuten Sans (someone mentioned ligatures work there, they don't) Literata Book and Bookerly.
I think you may have reached a wrong conclusion from those images. Not all fonts have 'ffi' ligatures which
  • merge the dot on the 'i' into the second 'f'
  • display the second 'f' taller than the first 'f'

Some fonts have "meh" ligatures which don't look much different from the standard component chars. Rakuten Serif has "meh" ligatures (just my opinion, of course ) See screenshot from the Regular file (unicode fb00-fb04) as displayed by the FontDrop! site. The ligatures in the Bold font file look very similar (other than the weight).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RakutenSerif_Ligs2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	196752  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:23 PM   #110
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think you may have reached a wrong conclusion from those images. Not all fonts have 'ffi' ligatures which
  • merge the dot on the 'i' into the second 'f'
  • display the second 'f' taller than the first 'f'

Some fonts have "meh" ligatures which don't look much different from the standard component chars. Rakuten Serif has "meh" ligatures (just my opinion, of course ) See screenshot from the Regular file (unicode fb00-fb04) as displayed by the FontDrop! site. The ligatures in the Bold font file look very similar (other than the weight).
In that case, the 'meh' ligatures are about as good as having none at all.
Advert
Old 09-24-2022, 01:26 PM   #111
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
In that case, the 'meh' ligatures are about as good as having none at all.
Can't argue with that
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:34 PM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could send Kobo a tweet or call them.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:38 PM   #113
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could send Kobo a tweet or call them.
I used the feedback button mentioned earlier. But jackie is right. The ligatures in this font do work. They just kinda suck to me. I'll just use something else.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:58 PM   #114
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Someone gave me a font tester epub here at MR. That is a good way to check ligatures, kerning, etc. Right?
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:42 PM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Someone gave me a font tester epub here at MR. That is a good way to check ligatures, kerning, etc. Right?
Kerning doesn't seem to be working with both ePub and KePub. The font has the kerning tables, but somehow they are not properly linked (I think that's the correct term).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:59 AM   #116
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Maybe because MS, Google, Apple and Amazon have all either designed or commissioned fonts Rakuten wanted to join the club?
At 167 dpi (and 72 dpi to 133 dpi of PC screens, maybe also for the subpixel addressing such as Cleartype) you need specially designed fonts? But do you really need to design fonts for 220+ dpi and 300 dpi mono eink with 14 in between grey levels (no colour screen sub pixel addressing)?

I've not even bothered to look at these fonts as I read mostly on "publisher font" and replace that using Calibre if it's obnoxious, if Georgia doesn't suit.

I know on the 167 dpi Kindles one struggles with font at smaller sizes, but on 300 dpi?
Even the original H2O and Nia don't need special fonts.
The Sony PRS-350 is only 800 x 600 but because it's only 5" any font looks far better than on 800 x 600 6" Kindle or the 9.7" DXG at the same size. The DXG is particularly ghastly due to fewer built in than KK3 and no font embedding.

So I don't think these two fonts are a significant upgrade. The Swipe down, which includes Notebooks and works on Notebooks (Sage & Elipsa) and more bug free is the good bits. Seems safe upgrade from 4.32x version.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:28 AM   #117
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The funny thing is that the Rakuten fonts have been around for over two years now but we're only hearing about them now because they decided to distribute them to the public by including them in their products. They didn't have to do that.

https://www.itsnicethat.com/news/dal...-design-050820

So while the font isn't really to my tastes, I know it is for others and I appreciate them including it. I just hope they fix the Regular Serif variant. Just because it passes a font validator, it doesn't mean it isn't bugged (i.e. missing or incorrect tables) at the same time.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:37 AM   #118
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Maybe because MS, Google, Apple and Amazon have all either designed or commissioned fonts Rakuten wanted to join the club?
Kobo at least has had the unique Nickel font available for years.
Old 09-25-2022, 11:19 AM   #119
texnology84
texnology84 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Boox Nova 3, iPad Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Thanks!
Should be on menu too as new gestures (and gestures other than page turn) are non-intuitive.

Well, works. The interesting thing is that it's so far the sole Notebook/eBook integration. Recently opened Notebooks are in the the 3 recent other things, but Notebooks are not in the Books list.

Nor sadly is there any keyboard on Notebooks or Copy/paste from eBook or annotation to Notebooks (or from Notebook to annotation).

And the swipe down works in an Advanced Notebook to get back to an eBook.
Interesting.
So you now can hop back & forth between and eBook and Advanced Notebook. My Notebooks are organised by Alphabetic, so this is a lot less taps to get to a Notebook not on first page.

More useful if you use Notebooks than just for ebooks. I have Home Screen off, so 2 taps gets list of recently reading ebooks, the default My Books.
Thanks for sharing this info, Quoth! I’ve been hunting around all over because, like you, I think this is a major improvement for Sage/Elipsa’s notebook to ebook functionality and could imagine a reason they did this feature. I made a video about this update
to show it off since it is still rolling out, and I dropped a link to your comment from my video describing because you’re literally the only person I found discussing this detail!! So, thank you for helping my mind finally quiet down about this.

I’ll also note that I use Pocket integration for reading articles and these are included in the Recently Opened menu as well. Should be interesting to see how the logic works out as one juggles between item types…I hadn’t tested too long just yet.
texnology84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:38 PM   #120
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Kobo at least has had the unique Nickel font available for years.
And Kobo Kakugo and Mincho designed by Morisawa Inc. too.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release