Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-16-2022, 10:29 AM   #106
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The new user interface was enabled on my Oasis this morning. It appears that Amazon is opening it up to more users now.
Here's to hoping I get it soon. I'm a fan of the new look.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:13 AM   #107
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I finally got the Home Screen update this morning after I synced and restarted my PW5. It is different be useable.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2022, 11:43 AM   #108
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

YES!!!! I opened my Kindle just now and it greeted me with the updated UI. My use case really benefits from the "new" Uncollected collections. I don't have to shove books without a series into a random collection anymore.

-----------
Edit: That took more than a month of waiting.

-----------
Edit 2: Now I see what people are saying where you can't choose List view when you're in Collections. That's kinda a big deal for me. I prefer to only see collections in my library, but then I don't know which book is next when I'm reading a book series.
A major gripe, but I guess I'll learn to deal with it.

Last edited by hleo12; 03-16-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 04:21 PM   #109
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post

-----------
Edit 2: Now I see what people are saying where you can't choose List view when you're in Collections. That's kinda a big deal for me. I prefer to only see collections in my library, but then I don't know which book is next when I'm reading a book series.
A major gripe, but I guess I'll learn to deal with it.
Is Series Grouping not available to you (your storefront doesn’t support it, or you are side loading)? And so you are using collections instead?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:55 AM   #110
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Is Series Grouping not available to you (your storefront doesn’t support it, or you are side loading)? And so you are using collections instead?
I'm sideloading (send-to-kindle). And yes, I use collections to sort my books. Mainly I only have book series as collections. Sometimes, even on the grid view, it's kinda hard to read the title of the book since the cover is on gray scale. So having to do an extra step to switch to list view outside of collections is sort of a pain. Specially for me who flip flops on what book I'm reading. I usually go through my collections to find another book to read.

Now that Calibre Companion is sort of defunct, it'll be 'harder' to look for my next read.

I find it weird how they're imitating how the app looks, but on the app, you can still set the view inside collections to list view.
Advert
Old 03-17-2022, 03:15 PM   #111
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I find it weird how they're imitating how the app looks, but on the app, you can still set the view inside collections to list view.
That’s true of the app for Android/Fire, but not for iOS, where the collections are always in Grid view (same as Kindle).

If you configure the Collections setting to show collections in List view (something you cannot do with the apps) then the collections will also be in List view.

If consistency across the Kindle platform is the goal, they are not getting there very quickly, particularly when it comes to collections.

But for me it is mostly moot: I make very minimal use of collections. They don’t offer a good return on investment of time, and don’t really ‘scale up’ to large libraries. To the extent that I read 3rd party books, I mostly use other apps.

I think we’ll see Author grouping (again it won’t work with 3rd party books), but I don’t expect to see improvement to search/filter options that could provide a better alternative to collections.

Last edited by tomsem; 03-17-2022 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:36 PM   #112
hleo12
Guru

Quote:

If you configure the Collections setting to show collections in List view (something you cannot do with the apps) then the collections will also be in List view.
I finally figured out how to do this. I think I had a bug because Collections wasn't showing up on the Filters (the three line thingy). I had to go inside the settings, device option, library, then collections. I had to choose another option there, then the Collections showed up in the Filters.

I guess this solves every bit of my problem. I think I'm more of a fan of how my library look now that I have that fixed. For now at least, I prefer the look of having small thumbnails and the book infromation to the right. Best of both worlds, I guess.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:55 AM   #113
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouge One View Post
Ok but on my end I can’t access the uncollected all it does it says opening and then goes back to the top page of collections and it has been doing this for over a week now and nothing has been fixed from Amazon
I’m having the same issue. When the update first happened, I think I was able to access it. In a Reddit thread, I mentioned having more than 400 books in Uncollected, so someone suggested using the Kindle App to move books to a new collection. And it is a lot easier to move stuff around on the app.

So now, in the app, I have 15 items in the Uncollected collection. On my Paperwhite, I now have 252 items in Uncollected, but I can no longer open that collection on the Paperwhite.

So I decided to check here instead! And someone upthread suggested displaying just downloaded books on the device. If I do that, then Uncollected shows that it had just 17 books. But I still can’t open the folder on the Paperwhite.

The issue might have come about because if I add something to a collection on my Paperwhite but then delete the book from the device to save space, it ends up in Uncollected.

Maybe I just have too many eBooks?

Naw. That can’t be it.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:08 AM   #114
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
If I remember well, before this update, collections with a star were collections only present in the cloud, not on the device.
If they are now favorite collections, what happen to the in-cloud-only collections?
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:09 AM   #115
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I’m having the same issue. When the update first happened, I think I was able to access it. In a Reddit thread, I mentioned having more than 400 books in Uncollected, so someone suggested using the Kindle App to move books to a new collection. And it is a lot easier to move stuff around on the app.

So now, in the app, I have 15 items in the Uncollected collection. On my Paperwhite, I now have 252 items in Uncollected, but I can no longer open that collection on the Paperwhite.

So I decided to check here instead! And someone upthread suggested displaying just downloaded books on the device. If I do that, then Uncollected shows that it had just 17 books. But I still can’t open the folder on the Paperwhite.

The issue might have come about because if I add something to a collection on my Paperwhite but then delete the book from the device to save space, it ends up in Uncollected.

Maybe I just have too many eBooks?

Naw. That can’t be it.
Have you tried moving the downloaded uncollected books to another collection so you'll show you have 0 uncollected? Might be worth a shot.

And I don't think it's something to do with the number of ebooks in your collections. I have 700+ books in my uncollected and it opens just fine.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:17 AM   #116
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
I thought my problem was solved but I just discovered something that set me back to square 1 while tinkering with my collections because of Critteranne's post.

If I set the filter to collections on List view, I lose access to the Uncollected collection. Which is kinda the most important thing for me this update. I was planning to delete my go-to collection which I put books without a series in so I could just use Uncollected. But there goes that plan
Old 03-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #117
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Have you tried moving the downloaded uncollected books to another collection so you'll show you have 0 uncollected? Might be worth a shot.

And I don't think it's something to do with the number of ebooks in your collections. I have 700+ books in my uncollected and it opens just fine.
I think I can see the Uncollected books on the Paperwhite is by going to From Your Library and then scrolling through the collection. The first few items in there are the ones I'm reading now -- I didn't move them to a collection because I don't want to forget I bought them. As I scroll through, I see some of the other books I recently opened -- and some that I know I recently removed from the device. The ones I removed are probably the ones listed as "uncollected" even though they were in collections already.

This may have happened because I moved books into collections via my Paperwhite rather than on the app or via Manage Your Contents and Devices. But they should still be synced. Sigh.

If I view my books on the Kindle Cloud Reader, I see the same things -- the most recent books; recently opened or purchased books that I know are in collections; several that showed up because I opened them by accident while trying to move them to a collection; plus a bunch of books I recently removed from my Paperwhite.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #118
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I think I can see the Uncollected books on the Paperwhite is by going to From Your Library and then scrolling through the collection. The first few items in there are the ones I'm reading now -- I didn't move them to a collection because I don't want to forget I bought them. As I scroll through, I see some of the other books I recently opened -- and some that I know I recently removed from the device. The ones I removed are probably the ones listed as "uncollected" even though they were in collections already.
It seems you have no filters set when looking at Uncollected.

To see only Uncollected books that are downloaded, you need to turn on the Downloaded filter by tapping the Filter icon at top left and selecting Downloaded (in the Status filters). Otherwise you will see everything that’s Uncollected in your library (with only checkbox ‘badge’ on lower left of the thumbnail to tell you something is downloaded).

There should not be anything in Uncollected that is also in a Collection. To check an item in Uncollected, tap the menu (3 stacked dot) icon in lower right of thumbnail and then Add/remove from Collections. You should see that all of the collection checkboxes are clear.

I really hope they make it so that Collections view can be in either Grid or List view, as you can with the Android app. It’s too hard to read title/author on many of the thumbnails.

Last edited by tomsem; 03-18-2022 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 05:17 AM   #119
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
It seems you have no filters set when looking at Uncollected.

To see only Uncollected books that are downloaded, you need to turn on the Downloaded filter by tapping the Filter icon at top left and selecting Downloaded (in the Status filters). Otherwise you will see everything that’s Uncollected in your library (with only checkbox ‘badge’ on lower left of the thumbnail to tell you something is downloaded).
When I do that, the Uncollected thumbnail displays 25 instead of more than 200. But for some reason, I still can’t open the darn thing from my Paperewhite. I even tried restarting the Kindle, and the same thing happened.

But…

Quote:
There should not be anything in Uncollected that is also in a Collection. To check an item in Uncollected, tap the menu (3 stacked dot) icon in lower right of thumbnail and then Add/remove from Collections. You should see that all of the collection checkboxes are clear.
I may have solved the puzzle. I removed the Downloaded filter and then changed the filter to find just Audible. (I wanted to make sure I didn’t have any audiobooks taking up space on there.) And the only thing that appeared was the Uncollected icon. Aha?

Last edited by Critteranne; 03-19-2022 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:16 AM   #120
Yammerhant
Yammerhant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Just got the update on my 10th gen, and I am wondering if there is any way to get the text-only list view back. The cover thumbnails on the new list view are pretty much unreadable on the standard Kindle screen.
Yammerhant is offline   Reply With Quote