Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 11:18 PM   #106
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
My sis is really interested in this Paperwhite. Do you think they will have Black Friday specials? She's not in a desperate hurry since she would be taking her older unit with her on vacation anyway.
I'm guessing they'll have some kind of discount on Black Friday. I don't know if it will be as good a sale as they've been having on the 2015 Paperwhite the last few months.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:20 PM   #107
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I note this latest Paperwhite will be available for release on November 7th as well from Amazon Canada. But Audible is disabled, just as it is for $400 Oasis. Why is that? Audible Canada is a real thing. Why cripple the branded devices which deliver it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDP View Post
Yeah it's the same with Australia. Pretty stupid.
I didn't even know they did this. (Maybe I did at one time but, if so, I had forgotten it.) Sorry to hear it and I don't get it at all.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 11:39 PM   #108
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I didn't even know they did this. (Maybe I did at one time but, if so, I had forgotten it.) Sorry to hear it and I don't get it at all.
At least they are making it available in Canada and Australia, even if somewhat feature-deprived. It's not available at all in Aotearoa/NZ😡😠
Old 10-17-2018, 12:03 AM   #109
eDP
eDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheese

Device: Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
At least they are making it available in Canada and Australia, even if somewhat feature-deprived. It's not available at all in Aotearoa/NZ😡😠
Want me to post you one?
eDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:17 AM   #110
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDP View Post
Want me to post you one?
Thanks! Not yet, but my wife is keen to consider it when her PW 3 is due for replacing. Hopefully they'll find us before then
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 01:17 AM   #111
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But then they might have had to have thicker bezels.

(Is "have had to have" grammatical?)
Your construction is correct.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:28 AM   #112
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Pre-ordered one immediately with the Marine Blue case. My only regret/hesitation is they don't have white available. Bummer.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:19 AM   #113
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
the PW4 looks as though it has the Voyage case, minus (unfortunately) the page press areas. I wonder if it will have the same processor - or better - than the Voyage. I lost my Voyage last month while I was on holiday and first ordered a PW replacement, which I sent it back because, in addition to the weight and the heavy bezels (which I'd forgotten about) it was very slow compared to the Voyage. I bought a refurbished Voyage and also an Oasis, which I am still in two minds about. I don't like the form factor or how poor battery life is, but I do like the 7" screen, just enough to make it my primary Kindle.
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #114
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren41 View Post
it was very slow compared to the Voyage. I bought a refurbished Voyage and also an Oasis, which I am still in two minds about.
Unfortunately I have a feeling it won't be much faster, if the speed changes at all. From what I understand it's mainly using the same hardware specs, although it'd be a nice surprise if it were quicker with the new release.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #115
eDP
eDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheese

Device: Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren41 View Post
the PW4 looks as though it has the Voyage case, minus (unfortunately) the page press areas. I wonder if it will have the same processor - or better - than the Voyage. I lost my Voyage last month while I was on holiday and first ordered a PW replacement, which I sent it back because, in addition to the weight and the heavy bezels (which I'd forgotten about) it was very slow compared to the Voyage. I bought a refurbished Voyage and also an Oasis, which I am still in two minds about. I don't like the form factor or how poor battery life is, but I do like the 7" screen, just enough to make it my primary Kindle.
How do you find the display on the 7" Oasis compared to the Voyage? At one point I had both, then compared them side by side and found text on the Oasis wasn't as sharp, or as black. Decided to only keep the Voyage (and have since picked up a 6" Oasis which I quite like).
eDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #116
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Yikes! The original lit Nook did that and when Kobo and then Kindle followed adding lights they wisely moved them to the bottom because people complained about having to look at them when reading. Interesting that they've gone back to the top.
IMHO they are adding a 5th LED to try and even the light out and are marketing it as this great new feature to "increase brightness". LACK of brightness hasn't been a complaint I've heard about any of the lit ereaders .
I guess lights at the top explains the fat bezel there. Nook 3 has them at the top, but you have to tip the reader really far to see them. So they're not a problem at all when reading. Although the Nook doesn't have a flush screen.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #117
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Which shows the advantage of a plastic substrate.
They seem to use it mainly on the premium readers.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #118
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
They seem to use it mainly on the premium readers.
Isn't it funny that the premium readers get plastic first? Usually it would be the other way around.

I do wonder if plastic substrate will become the norm with the next batch of e-ink screens?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #119
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Isn't it funny that the premium readers get plastic first? Usually it would be the other way around.

I do wonder if plastic substrate will become the norm with the next batch of e-ink screens?
I think it has to do with the volume. The premium ereaders ship fewer units so it is probably easier to deal with problems that crop up incorporating the new tech.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #120
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Plastic substrates are a premium feature because they are newish, more expensive, and add value (less fragile and lower weight, each a significant value). The 13" Sony readers have had them for years since at that size the added robustness and lower weight are even more important.

Once yields and volumes are high enough, I don't see why glass substrates would not become obsolete. Maybe 400, 500, or 600 dpi is coming to glass substrates, so those would go to premium readers. But I would prefer plastic for e-ink.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote