Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2018, 11:57 PM   #106
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I would love to buy the ebook of Famine by Liam O'Flaherty. I read this as a library book (physical) many years ago and it stayed in my mind. I would love to read it again, but don't want to purchase a pbook which it's a strain for me to read (I'm both short and long sighted), but it isn't available as an ebook. Botherations!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:16 AM   #107
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've just read back through some of this thread and noticed that the issue of pirating has been raised. I don't know if it's just in the UK, but access to pirate sites is blocked by internet providers. I think this is due to a law which came into force a few years ago, making the providers responsible for any pirating.
So it's virtually impossible to access pirate copies of ebooks, movies etc here. I'm sure that some expert techies find a way round it, but it's not worth the bother, and I would imagine that the law severely punishes offenders now.

Just thought I'd update you, though I notice that most peeps who have a location in their details and who have mentioned this issue aren't in the UK.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2018, 01:21 AM   #108
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've just read back through some of this thread and noticed that the issue of pirating has been raised. I don't know if it's just in the UK, but access to pirate sites is blocked by internet providers. I think this is due to a law which came into force a few years ago, making the providers responsible for any pirating.
So it's virtually impossible to access pirate copies of ebooks, movies etc here. I'm sure that some expert techies find a way round it, but it's not worth the bother, and I would imagine that the law severely punishes offenders now.
This may be true for the sites you tried to access but there are many, many sources of pirated books on the internet and I bet the majority are not blocked by UK ISPs.

Until two years ago I was resident in the UK and liked to be aware of what the Dark Side was up to

Last edited by Thasaidon; 03-01-2018 at 01:28 AM. Reason: added missing word
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:22 AM   #109
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Site blocking of alleged pirate sites has become routine in a number of countries, including the UK and Australia. Such blocks are generally trivial to circumvent and instructions to do so easy to find. These blocks take the form of injunctions to ISP's. A quick search reveals that the initial order was obtained by the Publishers Assocation and related to 7 named sites and 5 ISP's, BT, Virgin Media, Sky, TalkTalk and EE. This may well have been expanded by now. I did not come across any change in the pre-existing situation regarding users and penalties. Users of course breach copyright when they download a pirate copy and are of course at risk of being sued. I'm not sure if there is a criminal offence involved in the UK.

I have not linked to the news reports concerned since they actually name the 7 pirate sites.

I do not of course advocate people downloading pirate copies.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:23 AM   #110
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dupilicate Posted in error

Last edited by Thasaidon; 03-01-2018 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Duplicate Posted in error
Advert
Old 03-01-2018, 01:43 AM   #111
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I'm not sure if there is a criminal offence involved in the UK.
Criminal offences relating to copyright in the UK mostly relate to counterfeiting, selling pirated works and/or distributing pirated works (even for free).

An individual who pirated a work purely for his own use and who did not give away or sell copies of the work would, as understand it it, would not be guilty of a CRIMINAL ACT. They would however be guilty of a Tort (civil wrong) and could be sued by the rights owner.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:20 AM   #112
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Criminal offences relating to copyright in the UK mostly relate to counterfeiting, selling pirated works and/or distributing pirated works (even for free).

An individual who pirated a work purely for his own use and who did not give away or sell copies of the work would, as understand it it, would not be guilty of a CRIMINAL ACT. They would however be guilty of a Tort (civil wrong) and could be sued by the rights owner.
Thanks. That is also the situation in Australia and in most of the common law world as I understand it. Even in the US downloading for ones own use and not sharing would not seem to be an offence, though their ridiculous statutory damages regime is far worse than the likely punishment if it was.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:44 AM   #113
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Thanks. That is also the situation in Australia and in most of the common law world as I understand it. Even in the US downloading for ones own use and not sharing would not seem to be an offence, though their ridiculous statutory damages regime is far worse than the likely punishment if it was.
The last time the RIAA tried a public anti-piracy campaign, they sued a number of people who were downloading music. There was so much backlash over the case of suing a grandmother over music her granddaughter had downloaded, they never tried it again.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:26 AM   #114
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The last time the RIAA tried a public anti-piracy campaign, they sued a number of people who were downloading music. There was so much backlash over the case of suing a grandmother over music her granddaughter had downloaded, they never tried it again.
Yes. Also, the US Courts seem to be becoming more aware of the shortcomings of trying to identify who actually downloaded something via an ip address. Unfortunately the punitive statutory damages scheme seems to encourage this type of litigation. On the other hand, I am not aware of any other countries having adopted a punitive statutory damages regime. It is nowhere near as lucrative to sue for the price of the downloaded product plus legal costs.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:30 AM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Just thought I'd update you, though I notice that most peeps who have a location in their details and who have mentioned this issue aren't in the UK.
Actually, it's trivial. Just get a VPN.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #116
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes. Also, the US Courts seem to be becoming more aware of the shortcomings of trying to identify who actually downloaded something via an ip address. Unfortunately the punitive statutory damages scheme seems to encourage this type of litigation. On the other hand, I am not aware of any other countries having adopted a punitive statutory damages regime. It is nowhere near as lucrative to sue for the price of the downloaded product plus legal costs.
There is a reason that the US bar is one of the biggest contributors in US politics.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #117
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, it's trivial. Just get a VPN.
VPN is good... i use it to get Amazon ebooks.
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #118
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma, Kindle Oasis 2
Many of the books I'd love to buy and have as ebook are illustrated books from my childhood, often by somewhat obscure authors. For the most part, they simply aren't available as ebook and probably won't appear any time soon.

I'm getting too old to wait it out, so I just roll my own.

But it surprises me that some books aren't currently available as ebook. Like 'My Friend Flicka' by Mary O'Hara. Remains in print, so obviously it sells. No official ebook yet though audiobook is available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #119
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Many of the books I'd love to buy and have as ebook are illustrated books from my childhood, often by somewhat obscure authors. For the most part, they simply aren't available as ebook and probably won't appear any time soon.

I'm getting too old to wait it out, so I just roll my own.

But it surprises me that some books aren't currently available as ebook. Like 'My Friend Flicka' by Mary O'Hara. Remains in print, so obviously it sells. No official ebook yet though audiobook is available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can't say that there are a lot of illustrated books that I want from my childhood, but there are number of kids books that I would like to have. I do have a fair number of the Encyclopedia Brown books which are available in ebooks. I would like to get the old Alfred Hitchcock presents The Three Investigator series, which was a favorite of mine for a while. There are some of the later ones available, but none of the early books.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #120
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

I just tried an experiment using the Tor network and switching until I appeared to be coming from the UK. Out of a list of 25 sites that showed pirated ebooks, 19 of them were accessible and 1 was down. So 80% are available until someone complains about them and the ISPs block access.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote