Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #106
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Great endorsement of Kobo....

Still, those of us who have had bad experience with Kobo's products and customer service can try to change this, one post at a time, right?
Obviously, as a member of the Kindle camp, the bylaws prohibit me from endorsing Kobo.

But I don' think it is far-fetched to say most people never end up *trying to* use a warranty.
Customer Service, warranties, etc. are there for when things go wrong -- and it should be hoped that "things going wrong" aren't the norm.

Amazon benefits from this as much as Kobo does.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:46 PM   #107
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
No. Three things.
1. I have heard enough BS to ever think open box is new....
In my experience, open-box items are generally new for practical purposes. If not in "new" condition, there is usually a significant discount, but the item should still be working.

A quick search brings up the following from Consumer Reports:

Quote:
In addition, open-box items may be covered by the manufacturer’s new goods warranty. If the original customer of the item did not send in the warranty card and it’s in the box, as is sometimes the case, you can send it in to initiate the warranty. Even without such a card, your open-box item may be covered under the warranty anyway, though you may not easily be able to confirm such coverage with the manufacturer before you buy. Nonetheless, you should retain your sales receipt and try pursuing a claim in the event the item fails within the warranty period.
Advert
Old 09-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #108
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
But in this case it was secondhand.
Unless you wish to change your mind and tell us you bought it "New Open box" directly from Kobo Inc. or an authorized Kobo Inc. reseller.

" an authorized Kobo Inc. reseller." no such animal

and believe it not all factory seals were intact. External and internal. NOT re-packaged.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #109
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From my perspective. IF.. IF Kobo had said directly and supported this statement online with their policies. "We can only offer factory/ manufacture warranty from authorized resellers and any purchase from an auction site or other reseller will void the manufacture warranty"

Please return your device from where you bought it and or ask them for warranty support.

HOWEVER the above was not the case.

To not support your manufactured device..says a lot about the device and the company. Sorry if I offended anyone with that last bit..

Clear policy is better
Old 09-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #110
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
In my experience, open-box items are generally new for practical purposes. If not in "new" condition, there is usually a significant discount, but the item should still be working.

A quick search brings up the following from Consumer Reports:
In addition, open-box items may be covered by the manufacturer’s new goods warranty.

As you can see by what I have bolded in your post, there is no guarantee of a warranty.
Also generally new does not mean new.
Yes, they are usually either damaged boxes or customer regret returns but the manufacturer is not required to provide a warranty because the product is no longer considered new.
So yes, you will most likely get a brand new product but there is no guarantee.

Here is the thing: if you buy USED and since Open Box cannot be guaranteed to be new, it is considered used.
You may or may not get a warranty.
If you buy from an individual, you might get an actual "new" product or you might get a piece of junk. Yes, eBay is made up of individuals.

Now if you buy Open box from a retailer like Best Buy, you usually get a guarantee and maybe a warranty.
If you buy from Herman's Open Box Specials: no guarantee and he is a reseller so doubtful you get an ORIGINAL purchase receipt.
Advert
Old 09-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #111
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
From my perspective. IF.. IF Kobo had said directly and supported this statement online with their policies. "We can only offer factory/ manufacture warranty from authorized resellers and any purchase from an auction site or other reseller will void the manufacture warranty"

Please return your device from where you bought it and or ask them for warranty support.

To not support your manufactured device..says a lot about the device and the company. Sorry if I offended anyone with that last bit..

Clear policy is better
They say only retailers. So no warranties for any resellers.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #112
tvuongpham
Banned

Clearly a point where we can agree to disagree.
Retailer vs Reseller

I am of the opinion there is little difference with e-commerce.

Comparison between Retailer and Reseller:
http://www.differencebetween.info/di...r-and-reseller
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Retailer_vs_Reseller___Difference_Between.png
Views:	193
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	142080  
Old 09-17-2015, 05:35 PM   #113
tvuongpham
Banned

Quote:
They say only retailers. So no warranties for any resellers.
That would be your interpretation of consumer law
Old 09-17-2015, 05:41 PM   #114
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
That would be your interpretation of consumer law
No not my interpretation.
Just facts.
A retailer is one that gets their products from the manufacturer.
A reseller buys from a retailer and then puts it up for resale to make a profit.

If a warranty says retail only, then you have no recourse if you buy from a reseller.

Can I recommend you switch to kindle and be upfront about where you got the product?
Amazon is secondhand friendly.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #115
tvuongpham
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Will you at least have the courtesy to acknowledge the offer of assistance from Sameer?
I have already in a previous post.

I emailed him my personal email. PM him here.
FWD the email thread from KOBO support, and the case number.
Emailed him my personal phone number.

I have received no response. No acknowledgement of communication (i.e. email received, working on it.. etc. nor sorry can't help you) nothing.

No response.

I have reached out to @Kobo and @KoboHelp on twitter as well.

Nothing but crickets... as they say..
Old 09-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #116
tvuongpham
Banned

Quote:
Just facts.
A reseller buys from a retailer and then puts it up for resale to make a profit.

If a warranty says retail only, then you have no recourse if you buy from a reseller.

Can I recommend you switch to kindle and be upfront about where you got the product?

A reseller buys from a retailer and then puts it up for resale to make a profit. -- that would be false.

I work for a reseller and we purchase from vendors (distributors), manufactures etc a complex web of buy/sell. Channel partners etc.

A Retailer sells to end users (consumers) with a store.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #117
tvuongpham
Banned

Quote:

I have Kindle PW2, and previously owned two Kindle KB models.
Very flexible to get content to read. email, store, side load.

Limited customization vs the Sony's I have owned for screen savers etc.

My intention was to support ePub and the open format the Kobo supports.
Sony already switched to Kobo Store.

I also have iPad, but like e-ink for outdoor use and wanted a self -enclosed lighting system i.e. glo, comfort light etc.

The clip-on light is bulky and cumbersome.

oh well.
Kindles aren't bad. I was just trying to support the alternative.. forgot to mention ..i like the microSD option.. I have lots of technical epubs for reference.

Last edited by tvuongpham; 09-17-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #118
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
A reseller buys from a retailer and then puts it up for resale to make a profit. -- that would be false.

I work for a reseller and we purchase from vendors (distributors), manufactures etc a complex web of buy/sell. Channel partners etc.

A Retailer sells to end users (consumers) with a store.
Is your primary store out of your house?
Wait a minute, you said vendors. That is just slightly different.
That to me sounds like a place called Big Lots. They use vendors and store buy outs.
So you buy from people that buy from the manufacturer.
I think we have just spent half the day using 2 different groups of sellers.
To me, you would not be a reseller because the product is distributed to you and then you sell to the public.
Who I was thinking of is the ones that go to the clearance aisle of a retailer then resell as an individual.
I do believe ebay is considered a shop of shops. So a manufacturer cannot guarantee whether the seller is legitimate.
Sorry you had problems.
Oh my finger finally did stop hurting.

I like my old Kobo for side loading. I am not real fond of their store.

I had the keyboard until it decided it was dirty and took a bath.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #119
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Just facts.
The overwhelming majority of retailers actually buy from wholesalers, not directly from manufacturers.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #120
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

Clear policy is better
Clear policy. Like these?

http://www.forbes.com/2011/02/23/dum...ng-labels.html
http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/photo...warning-labels
http://rinkworks.com/said/warnings.shtml
Closed Thread

Tags
customer service, kobo aura, kobo sucks