Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #106
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Here's an excellent Kindle Chronicles video where Len Edgerly compares the new Paperwhite 3 with both Paperwhite 2 and Voyage.

DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #107
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A lot of Voyage owners are going to feel ripped off.
why? The voyage still has plenty to recommend it. Also, they've had a year to enjoy it.

Maybe if you bought the voyage 31 days ago primarily for the better screen, then yeah you may be slightly bummed.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #108
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Yeah, I don't really consider the Voyage a rip off with this change. Maybe a bit overpriced for the smaller feature set it has over the PW3 though.

My issues with the Voyage have more to do with the ergonomics of the thing. I like the features, but it just doesn't sit in my hand like a PW does. And for me, the ergonomics are more important, now that the PW has the same resolution screen.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #109
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I'm sure there are those who feel ripped off because they have a Kindle Keyboard and can't trade it for a Voyage. That's life.

My PW2 was on it's 29th day today so I contacted Customer Service with that Contact Us button that so many can't find. I said it was a bit tacky but asked if I could exchange it for a PW3. They sent me shipping labels and said if it got underway today I was gold. I ran, literally, to the UPS depot, where they know me well, and got there 5 minutes before they locked the doors. The manager came out and helped me with the forms, approved that packaging, and accepted the package. Woo-hoo.

I have never had anything but excellent service from Amazon.

Last edited by patrickt; 06-19-2015 at 04:06 PM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #110
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
DreamWriter THANKS for the clip!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2015, 04:12 PM   #111
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I'm sure there are those who feel ripped off because they have a Kindle Keyboard and can't trade it for a Voyage. That's life.

My PW2 was on it's 29th day today so I contacted Customer Service with that Contact Us button that so many can't find. I said it was a bit tacky but asked if I could exchange it for a PW3. They sent me shipping labels and said if it got underway today I was gold. I ran, literally, to the UPS depot, where they know me well, and got there 5 minutes before they locked the doors. The manager came out and helped me with the forms, approved that packaging, and accepted the package. Woo-hoo.

I have never had anything but excellent service from Amazon.

Excellent accommodation!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #112
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A lot of Voyage owners are going to feel ripped off.
I think it's more likely that people who purchased a PW2 in the last couple of months will feel ripped off.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #113
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't see why anyone would feel "ripped off"; Amazon have done nothing dishonest or unethical here. What do you suggest they do? Say "don't buy a Paperwhite now because we'll be releasing a new model in a couple of months"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #114
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Why would I feel ripped off? What does a new PW have to do with my Voyage? They have different features, still after this upgrade to the PW there are feature differences. I got the Voyage for a reason. Even if there was a new Voyage right now I wouldn't feel ripped off. Its how things go with electronics.

But in this case the Voyage and PW are still different devices.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #115
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I agree but I question the Voyage's $80 differnce in price. I don't use the haptic buttons. I like the touch screen. For the $80 I can buy a lovely case and five books I wouldn't normally buy.
See, and I would spend the extra for the buttons. I have 3 kindle keyboards - my Mom's paperwhite drives me nuts, but she likes it. I get on well with the touch screen on the kindle fire, but not on the ereaders.

I won't be preordering this because I just can't justify it when I already have 5 ereaders and 2 tablets. Besides, the new PPW doesn't have buttons.

Last edited by Tarana; 06-19-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #116
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I'm strangely thrilled about the PW3. I don't want one, nor do I feel ripped off having bought the Voyage. The smaller, lighter form factor of the Voyage is worth the extra money to me, plus I like the haptic buttons and flat screen. So even if I were buying a new Kindle now, I'd choose the Voyage. But it pleases me incredibly that Amazon has put forth a 300ppi mid-priced Kindle. Options are good!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:11 AM   #117
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't see why anyone would feel "ripped off"; Amazon have done nothing dishonest or unethical here. What do you suggest they do? Say "don't buy a Paperwhite now because we'll be releasing a new model in a couple of months"?
I do agree Harry--nothing to feel ripped off about. Maybe (probably) a little disappointed if I'd just purchased a PW, but I wouldn't feel ripped off. That happened to me with an iPod i purchased quite a while ago. I bought an early model with 10gb of storage. Just a month or so later, Apple increased the storage to 15gb. No other changes--not even the price. I certainly would have liked to have the extra storage, but it didn't lessen my enjoyment I'm my iPod.

My comment to JS Wolf was simply that if anyone were to feel ripped off it would be recent PW purchasers not Voyage purchasers.

It would make no sense at all for Amazon to announce the new high res PW while continuing to sell the old model. i think the way they've went about the release--announcing it a couple weeks in advance is very fair to prospective purchasers.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:08 AM   #118
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
See, and I would spend the extra for the buttons. I have 3 kindle keyboards - my Mom's paperwhite drives me nuts, but she likes it. I get on well with the touch screen on the kindle fire, but not on the ereaders.

I won't be preordering this because I just can't justify it when I already have 5 ereaders and 2 tablets. Besides, the new PPW doesn't have buttons.
I always celebrate having choices. I am delighted Kindle gave me the choice of using or not using the haptic buttons.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #119
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I'm strangely thrilled about the PW3. I don't want one, nor do I feel ripped off having bought the Voyage. The smaller, lighter form factor of the Voyage is worth the extra money to me, plus I like the haptic buttons and flat screen. So even if I were buying a new Kindle now, I'd choose the Voyage. But it pleases me incredibly that Amazon has put forth a 300ppi mid-priced Kindle. Options are good!
Hear, hear! If I was buying now, the PW3 would tempt me, however, I am glad I got the Voyage before this option was available, otherwise I wouldn't know what I was missing! Like you said, the smaller lighter form factor is one of the things I like best about the Voyage. I wish it was even smaller around the edges!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #120
patrickt
Wizard

Ripped off--cheated.
A tourist complained to me that a local merjchant cheater her. I asked how he did that and she had bought a sourvenir for $2 and right down the street a store had the same thing for $1.50. I responded, "So you fail to comparison shop and blame the merchant." It's not unusual I see a Kindle book on a site being offered from free and six months ago I paid $2 for it. Do I feel ripped off? No, I laugh and think, "Isn't that always the way?" Actually it isn't but it can feel that way.

The only time I feel ripped off or cheated is when I buy something that simply doesn't perform as advertised. I bought an RCA television that said on the front, "Stereo" and I couldn't get the sound right through my amplifier. Then I learned that it wasn't stereo. I felt cheated and ripped off.

Items go on sale. That's life. Kindle could have dropped the price on PW2 to, oh, $99 so they could deplete their stock and then come out with the new PW3 that had been in production for 60 days. I find that an offensive marketing strategy but I still wouldn't feel cheated or ripped off. I specifically waited to buy a camera I wanted until the new model came out and the older model dropped to half the previous price. It's a great camera.