Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #106
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I'm only wearing my modesty.
So sayeth the bishop to the actress ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #107
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
My admiration for you can be taken for granite.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #108
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
@ Steve:

"Dead as a doornail" is the correct colloquialigism. Carpenters used to band the tail of nails over to make sure it could not be removed, hence it was 'dead.'

Most of my favourite colourful idioms 1. Arise from my time in Russia, or 2.are patently dirty (c.f. I'm a sailor)

"No one eats the first pancake"
"Don't string noodles on my ears"
"Don't powder my brain"

"I'm not performing intercourse on this feline, I am merely securing its cranium"
"Let's walk down the hill & perform intercourse on all the female bovine rather than running down and doing so to only one"

The only one suitable for Saturday mornings comes from the under-rated Sci-Fi series Space: Above & Beyond.

"Easier than eating pancakes"

However, it has been my experience that devouring souls is pretty darn simplistic too, but not as many people have that frame of reference.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #109
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The dread horror returns!! You're going to have a busy, busy day.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #110
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
My admiration for you can be taken for granite.
That's a bit hard ...
Advert
Old 05-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #111
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
"Dead as a doornail" is the correct colloquialigism. Carpenters used to band the tail of nails over to make sure it could not be removed, hence it was 'dead.'
I like your explanation better than this one from The Dictionary of Cliches:

"...And what is a doornail? Well, that can be answered: it was a nail with a large head [why do all things remind me of PH?], and at one time it was common practice to stud a door with them for decoration or reinforcement. The popularity of the phrase is probably attributable to alliteration. In any event, the expression goes back at least to 1350 in The Romance of William of Palerne: 'For but ich haue bote of mi bale I am ded as a dorenail.' "

And welcome back, oh, Great Juan.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #112
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
That's a tough road to hoe Steve. I gave it a good college try but missed it by a whisker. I'll tell you who read your books to me if you'll tell me who wrote them for you. Since a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse I just took all the marbles and went home. Tomorrow's another day and after that will come another so we can all cry over spilt milk again. A good turn of the phrase but not of the screw or shrew.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #113
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Most of my favourite colourful idioms 1. Arise from my time in Russia, or 2.are patently dirty (c.f. I'm a sailor)
Don't trust Russian translations. 'The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak' was once famously rendered as 'The vodka is strong but the meat is rotten.'
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #114
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Don't trust Russian translations. 'The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak' was once famously rendered as 'The vodka is strong but the meat is rotten.'
ROFL! I think I ate there recently.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #115
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
@ Patricia:

The one about powdering a person's brain.....mmm....brains...

Sorry.

That one was told me to by some Russian kids while I was in Samara; when I used it once to a friend, they were a bit shocked. Guess that it is a little more forceful and insulting than they originally lead me to believe.

The 1st pancake--every good Russkie knows that one.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #116
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
ROFL! I think I ate there recently.
Billions and billions served ...
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #117
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Billions and billions served ...
A third of which are firsts...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #118
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
When my wife was teaching Russian language in the UK, that was one of the good examples of bad translation she taught them.

Last edited by astra; 05-05-2008 at 10:47 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #119
GeoffC

Food - who mentioned food ...

The feast ended with a dish of raw animalcula in a wicker cage. A cheese had been surrounded with little twigs and strings; then a hole made in it and a little sour wine poured in. This speedily bred a small but numerous vermin. When the cheese was so rotten with them that only the twigs and string kept it from tumbling to pieces and walking off quadrivious, it came to table. By a malicious caprice of fate cage and menagerie were put down right under the Dutchman's organ of self-torture. He recoiled with a loud ejaculation, and hung to the bench by the calves of his legs. "What is the matter?" said a traveller disdainfully. "Does the good cheese scare ye? Then put it hither, in the name of all the saints!" "Cheese!" cried Gerard, "I see none. These nauseous reptiles have made away with every bit of it." "Well," replied another, "it is not gone far. By eating of the mites we eat the cheese to boot." "Nay, not so," said Gerard. "These reptiles are made like us, and digest their food and turn it to foul flesh even as we do ours to sweet: as well might you think to chew grass by eating of grass-fed beeves, as to eat cheese by swallowing these uncleanly insects."

It's enough to put you off your squid pie ..
Old 05-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #120
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Boy, I'm glad I ate lunch first...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unutterable silliness