Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you keep your library on your device?
Yes, as much as possible. I get twitchy if I don't have all my books at all times. 88 31.77%
Yes, but only because my device/store is sync'd up. 9 3.25%
No, I mostly keep unread books on the device. I delete as I read. 91 32.85%
No, I only keep a selection of books. Too much clutter is bad. 94 33.94%
Maybe? I don't understand this poll. 0 0%
Your choices are very long and may not adequately represent my opinion. Like this one for example: I am a bunny. 10 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #106
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I find it interesting that there seems to be a three way tie between all books, unread books and a mix, yet there just hasn't been a good solution for organizing books on a book reader. Most of the book reader apps assume that you will only have a few books on the device at a time. The best right now seems to be categories as implemented by iBooks, Sony and Kindle (yet not the kindle apps for iPad and android). That seems to be a big gap that could easily be solved if Apple or Amazon supported invoking the app with a specific book.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #107
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I keep unread books, unloaned-but-lendable books, and books I think I might want to reread on my device. I archive books I doubt I'll read again (and, if lendable, I only archive them once they've already been lent--I participate in lending sites and like to have my lendable books unarchived because they're easier to lend that way). I never know what I'm going to be in the mood to read so I like to have everything handy.

I use the "shelves" on my nook and one of the shelves is "unread." Another is "borrowed." My other shelves are genres.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #108
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I only keep a handful of eBooks. My main library is on my desktop, which in turn is backed up on Dropbox... (and the occasional external hard drive backup)
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:00 AM   #109
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
i can not because
when i find new books about mystery/detective or thriller genre
i upload them to my kindle
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #110
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I find it interesting that there seems to be a three way tie between all books, unread books and a mix, yet there just hasn't been a good solution for organizing books on a book reader. Most of the book reader apps assume that you will only have a few books on the device at a time. The best right now seems to be categories as implemented by iBooks, Sony and Kindle (yet not the kindle apps for iPad and android). That seems to be a big gap that could easily be solved if Apple or Amazon supported invoking the app with a specific book.
Yep. One big reason why I'm a Sony Girl.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #111
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'd go with two categories "mostly unread books on the device" and "only a selection of books". It's an e-reader for reading my books, not a storage solution.

Like many, I use Calibre to manage my e-books, and as well as it's library management tools, it makes it easy to back-up my library, so how well they can be organised on my e-reader is completely immaterial.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #112
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
When I had my Sony, I kept everything on the Reader. When I moved to the Nook, I discovered that the "shelf" organization system was awful, so I cut back.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #113
rsand27
rsand27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsand27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsand27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsand27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsand27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsand27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsand27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsand27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsand27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsand27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rsand27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
No way. When I first got my Kindle app on Android I downloaded a ton of free classics. I ended up deleting about 95% of them soon after. It was just too much clutter. Now I try to keep maybe 10 on the device and delete anything from the archive that I don't want to keep.
rsand27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #114
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I only have unread books on the device, like so:

Collection: Unread (Amazon)
Collection: Unread (Sideloaded)
Current book I'm reading: On home screen
Read, from Amazon: removed to archive, copy on computer
Read, sideloaded: deleted, copy on computer

Most of the time each collection hold around 10 books to immediately provide me a pick when I finish a book. The sideloaded books mostly are ebook versions of paperbacks I have and that are candidates to be reread, or they're books that Amazon does not provide (obviously, or they'd be in the Amazon collection).

Is it even possible to remove a book from your archive, short of fully deleting it on the Amazon site (and having to purchase it again if you want to reread it)?

The Kindle does not have sufficient categorizing, sorting and searching capabilities to keep everything on it, imho. To be honest, I find that disappointing. In this regard, it's not better than my previous Cybook. I wonder why Apple never issued an reader connected to iTunes. (Not that matters for me, because I hate that company with a passion for several reasons... But that is another topic.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-18-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #115
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Well I keep most of my books on there. i put anything on there that I might ever read in life.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote