Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #106
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Look, I am not trying to say Gen3 is worse.
Honestly.

There is one thing I really like about it - HTML support. I wish Sony did it..

However, PDF....no zoom is going to make it nice on 6". It has nothing to do with any brand or make or whatever.
I tend to agree with you. I think *most* people would agree with you that any of these 6" eInk displays aren't really suited for Letter or larger PDF documents. For that, an 8" or larger display is necessary.

However, I also think most people who are using them for pleasure reading are going to be satisified with the more-compact size of the 6" eInk devices.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:59 PM   #107
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post

Now I feel embaraced.
I hope.....it is not offensive for French? Otherwise I will edit it.
Don't feel bad about it! We have our own language jokes about other people's countries and languages.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #108
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
The look-and-feel. Supposedly, the exterior of the Cybook reader just feels cheaper (black plastic vs metal in case of Sony), the controls are more ergonomically located in the Sony Reader (paging on both the right-hand side and the left-hand side), the connector plugs located inconveniently, only charges via USB - that sort of thing. Being lighter is better? How much lighter - would you be able to feel the difference? But if you like your Cybook as is, it's great, I am glad you do.

Lots of software already out there for Sony - to convert from every possible format.

And the fact that you don't turn it off shows that you don't travel much with your new ebook reader. Or you would be surprised to find your Cybook always on a new unexpected page when you take it out of your bag or your pocket. So, you will probably end up turning it off anyway, and then waiting for it to start up when you want to read it.
The page will not turn when travelling if you use the leather case and I suspect it will not happen without it either since you have to press the page turn button rather hard to turn a page. And you do not touch the page turning buttons when handling the Cybook.

I do not think the external feel says anything about the internal build quality. I agree that the page turn button seems much better on the 505. Only charging via USB I think is a good thing since I am very tired to have one charger for each device. It is very good that USB has become a kind of standard.

Since the Cybook support a lot of formats directly you do not need to convert files...

The Cybook is 70 gram lighter but maybe the leather case will add 70 gram. It is much easier to hold a lighter device in different positions and when I read for a long time I want to be able to change position often.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #109
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Well, Nate, you've been around for a while, so it surprises me that you put so much weight into a manufacturer's announced willingness to extend the capabilities of a product. It's quite possible that Bookeen will follow up on their intent and fix up all the stuff they say they will fix up. But making this stated intent a basis for purchasing decisions... isn't it a bit naive?
I actually don't think it's naive since the product specifications say that the firmware is upgradeable via the SD card.

I agree with what you're saying about companies not traditionally doing this but the internet has made it much less expensive for them to distribute enhancements and upgrades. When I compare the product specifications for the 505 and the Gen3 they are basically identical. The differentiator is the firmware and this is the value the companies can add to the base hardware. I'm hoping the competition will influence both companies to update. I guess I'm naive too.

The Sony PS3 that I bought in March has has it's features significantly enhanced since I bought (via internet updates) so don't give up on Sony enhancing the PRS50x line. ( Of course the price has dropped as well but that's the price of being an early adopter). Maybe Sony wouldn't have done all these feature upgrades if the sales were better and they didn't have the competition from XBOX 360 and Wii.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #110
Pickle
Enthusiast
Pickle began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Does anyone know when NAEB is going to start selling Cybooks? I have already purchased one from Bookeen and I'm trying to wait so I can buy a second from NAEB, but if they don't have something soon I'll go with Bookeen directly again.
Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #111
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
Does anyone know when NAEB is going to start selling Cybooks? I have already purchased one from Bookeen and I'm trying to wait so I can buy a second from NAEB, but if they don't have something soon I'll go with Bookeen directly again.
We're getting our store finalized this week. By Monday the 26th for sure it will be up and people will be getting notified.

Derek

Last edited by delphidb96; 11-20-2007 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Wrong date
Old 11-20-2007, 01:02 PM   #112
Pickle
Enthusiast
Pickle began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
We're getting our store finalized this week. By Monday the 29th for sure it will be up and people will be getting notified.

Derek
Thanks Derek, I know you guys have been putting a lot of effort into this and I want to support what you're doing. Unfortunately I'm also very impatient and my wife and I aren't very good at sharing the one Cybook we currently have.
Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:23 PM   #113
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
Thanks Derek, I know you guys have been putting a lot of effort into this and I want to support what you're doing. Unfortunately I'm also very impatient and my wife and I aren't very good at sharing the one Cybook we currently have.

Well this is your lucky day! I made a slight miscalculation on the date and we should have everything started by the 26th or 27th! So get your checkbook/credit card out!

Derek
Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #114
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Well this is your lucky day! I made a slight miscalculation on the date and we should have everything started by the 26th or 27th! So get your checkbook/credit card out!

Derek
And expect to get lot of "When are you going to add in support for Amazon Kindle editions?" questions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:18 AM   #115
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And expect to get lot of "When are you going to add in support for Amazon Kindle editions?" questions.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that you can buy a "Kindle Edition" book unless you have a Kindle, can you? I suspect that rather few people will buy both a Kindle and a Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:31 AM   #116
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that you can buy a "Kindle Edition" book unless you have a Kindle, can you? I suspect that rather few people will buy both a Kindle and a Gen3.
Yeah, but it is not going to stop owners of Cybook/Sony Reader/iRex etc., want it
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:39 AM   #117
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Just reading this thread and wondering about the comment on the site about the Euro Zone.
Quote:
If you're in the euro zone order the reader direct from Bookeen. If you order it through us the combination of taxes and shipping cost will send the price past any savings you might have achieved.
I'd offer the observation that the $375 price is £182, which allows a fair amount of leeway for taxes & shipping before you match the £315 ($649!) list price of the Deluxe package bought direct!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #118
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I agree, and I suggest the following answer:

Secure AZW files are not readable on any device except the Kindle.

Secure MOBI files from other e-book sellers support up to 4 devices, including one or more Cybooks, but are not readable on the Kindle.

Most multi-format e-books include a DRM-free MobiPocket version, which is readable on both the Cybook and the Kindle.

Last edited by wallcraft; 11-28-2007 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Multiple Kindle's on the same account can share e-books
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #119
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
Delphidb96, I've been trying to get some info on NAEB's cybook shipment but my PMs and e-mails have gone unanswered. I was wondering if NAEB expected receive a shipment of Cybooks during the same period that Bookeen references on their site. Also it's the 26th any update on your store? I happen to work for a software company that does custom e-commerce solutions if you're having trouble getting things set up
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #120
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Delphidb96, I've been trying to get some info on NAEB's cybook shipment but my PMs and e-mails have gone unanswered. I was wondering if NAEB expected receive a shipment of Cybooks during the same period that Bookeen references on their site. Also it's the 26th any update on your store? I happen to work for a software company that does custom e-commerce solutions if you're having trouble getting things set up
An update. We have *one* last thing to accomplish before we can open our merchant account and hook that up to our webstore. I've submitted the paperwork and paid the fees this very afternoon. Tomorrow morning I'll get the *ONE THING* I need from the CA Secretary of State and we'll be getting our bank account number tomorrow afternoon. So hold tight. By the end of the week, everything will be integrated.

Yes, for everyone interested, I'd just like to pass on the fact that there is a TON of paperwork needed at city, county, state and federal levels to get a business to the point of opening a checking/merchant bank account. And, of course, at the city and state levels, they're constantly changing the requirements - adding needed steps, etc. Oh! What! Joy!

Derek