Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #106
calail
Enthusiast
calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW; android; PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
JerseyBiker, now that you've gotten some answers, would you be upset if I hijacked the thread just a wee bit?

Please add your favorites...
great idea - and great list everyone. i can't wait to start reading some of these *new to me* authors!
calail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #107
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
JerseyBiker, now that you've gotten some answers, would you be upset if I hijacked the thread just a wee bit?

Stitchawl
Sorry I missed this post. I wasn't ignoring you. I'm surprised how this thread has taken off. Hijack all you like I don't care. I haven't started reading the series yet because I'm reading another book now that I'm just about done with. Been too busy to read much. I like the other suggestions also.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #108
Peregrinator
Peregrinator began at the beginning.

Device: Nookcolor
Reacher

Hey Eddie,
I found the Reacher books at the local library up here in the puckerbrush and am hooked. Good reading almost to the point of staying up really late or not going to the job in order to read. Would like to read on my Nook but the price scares me away. So for now the library is the way to go.
Jim
Peregrinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #109
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinator View Post
Hey Eddie,
I found the Reacher books at the local library up here in the puckerbrush and am hooked. Good reading almost to the point of staying up really late or not going to the job in order to read. Would like to read on my Nook but the price scares me away. So for now the library is the way to go.
Jim

I probably can find them at my local library but I prefer to read on my Nook. That's why I purchased it. I can also download ebooks from my library but they only have 1 of the Reacher series ebooks available. B&N has the first 5 or 6 Reacher books as a package only for about $60.00. The rest of the series are individual ebooks. I just purchased the 1st of the series from Amazon, removed the DRM and converted it to epub to read on my Nook.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #110
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome to MobileRead, Peregrinator!

When I first read your post I thought you meant you got the ebooks from your library. That's what we did, then filled in the missing few from Amazon (converted to epub for me, mobi for my husband's Kindle).

I see it's been over an hour -- have you finished Killing Floor yet, JerseyBiker?? Just kidding . . . but how was that for an opening, eh?

Last edited by Filark; 06-24-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #111
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I like Lee Child, I have also read all of his and books will read his new one when it is published. However it seems that there is very little action happening until the end in about his last five books.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #112
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, Peregrinator!

When I first read your post I thought you meant you got the ebooks from your library. That's what we did, then filled in the missing few from Amazon (converted to epub for me, mobi for my husband's Kindle).

I see it's been over an hour -- have you finished Killing Floor yet, JerseyBiker?? Just kidding . . . but how was that for an opening, eh?
No someone suggested I may find them at a library. The local library does have ebooks you can download through Adobe Digital. 2 weeks after downloading them they expire and you can't read them. I prefer to buy most of my books to build a collection. I never thought about converting library ebooks. I'm sure that's frowned upon. The local library only has one Jack Reacher book listed and that one is on hold by several other members. My wife has a Kindle and I have a Nook so I also remove DRM and convert so we can read the books on both ereaders. I actually just started reading Killing Floor yesterday. So far it is very interesting. It's a nice break from my last 2 books that were a waste of time. I have a bad habit of completing books even when I'm not enjoying them. From what I heard I shouldn't have that problem with the Reacher series. I don't plan to read all of them in a row though. I'll read them between other books.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #113
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
No someone suggested I may find them at a library. The local library does have ebooks you can download through Adobe Digital. 2 weeks after downloading them they expire and you can't read them. I prefer to buy most of my books to build a collection. I never thought about converting library ebooks. I'm sure that's frowned upon. The local library only has one Jack Reacher book listed and that one is on hold by several other members. My wife has a Kindle and I have a Nook so I also remove DRM and convert so we can read the books on both ereaders. I actually just started reading Killing Floor yesterday. So far it is very interesting. It's a nice break from my last 2 books that were a waste of time. I have a bad habit of completing books even when I'm not enjoying them. From what I heard I shouldn't have that problem with the Reacher series. I don't plan to read all of them in a row though. I'll read them between other books.
The Killing Floor is IMO his best book.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #114
tbates
tbates began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
I've enjoyed all of Child's books. Others in a similar vein are Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series, and James Lee Burke (Dave Robicheaux). Knowing Natchez, MS makes Greg Iles especially enjoyable.

Last edited by tbates; 06-25-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
tbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #115
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
There's a new Jack Reacher novelette out, of Jack as a teen. "Second Son" for $1.99 at amazon and a list of other places to get it here.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #116
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
There's a new Jack Reacher novelette out, of Jack as a teen. "Second Son" for $1.99 at amazon and a list of other places to get it here.
And it's also showing up in libraries (Philadelphia Free Library has it).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #117
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Yup. Got it already, and I'm starting it tonight .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #118
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I have it also. I just finished reading the 2nd book of the Reacher series. I'll take a break from the series and read something else but I'll read Second Son before I start back on the series.

~eddie
Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #119
UnusualMutant
UnusualMutant began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Apologies for the late entry, but I only just joined the forum and I felt I had to answer this thread. I'm male and I have to say I find the Jack Reacher books a bit too macho. I only read a few, but it seems like he never gets as much as a papercut while he demolishes everyone else. Further to that, in one of them I figured out the plot twist 50 pages in, which was a bit disappointing. I think what I find most off-putting is the very staccato writing style, e.g. "He turned around. The bad guy was there. I tore out his throat. He bled. He died."

But that's just my 2 cents

If you want Crime/Thriller with a good dose of humour, I cannot recommend scottish Christopher Brookmyre enough. He is fantastic.

/Bjoern
UnusualMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #120
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnusualMutant View Post

If you want Crime/Thriller with a good dose of humour, I cannot recommend scottish Christopher Brookmyre enough. He is fantastic.

/Bjoern
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check him out.

I see Christopher Brookmyre has quite a few titles on B&N. Are there any particular ones you would recommend?

~eddie

Last edited by JerseyBiker; 08-22-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: question regarding which titles to checkout.