Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: May 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
1984 by George Orwell 22 24.72%
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 4 4.49%
Call of the Wild by Jack London 6 6.74%
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy 23 25.84%
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain 4 4.49%
War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells 7 7.87%
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 4 4.49%
Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey 8 8.99%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 7 7.87%
The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith and Weedon Grossmith 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #106
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespectre View Post
Sorry, noob here. So when a book is selected where does it get discussed?
There will be a separate discussion thread started on the 20th. Just keep an eye on this section of the forum around then.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #107
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
On the 20th May, a discussion thread will be open as a sticky in this forum - just like there is one at the moment for Hal Spacejock.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #108
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
But in seriousness, I've just never gotten Russian lit. That is why I am anxious to read this one and overcome my apprehension with a group.
I have a strange fascination with Russian literature. It must be nearly unfounded because the only Russian classic I ever read was Crime and Punishment. I have very fond memories of that book.

However, in the last year I read all of the Nightwatch series by Sergei Lukyanenko and I really enjoyed the characters and settings.

At some stage, I'll just have to prove this little hypothesis by actually reading more Russian literature.

Regards
Caleb
Old 04-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #109
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
Quote:
a discussion thread will be open as a sticky in this forum
Got it. Thanks!
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:40 AM   #110
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I'm not sure how to discus a book, my thoughts on books are pretty much limited to "I liked it, It was OK, I didn't care for it or I hated it" I would make a horrible reviewer
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 03:49 AM   #111
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Is it true that this one book will make me understand Russian literature and culture?
Of the society described in Anna Karenina, I do not think there is a single trace in the Russian culture of to day. There might be some in those that escaped at the time of the revolution, but they would be so old now. There are still some in France. But old oh so old, and really few, so I would not know if to them one could pin the label of culture.

The traces of it are everywhere in the literature, not only Russian, as it is one of the most admired "realistic" novels.

I do not know (which means I doubt) that this one book will make you understand Russian culture (of which I know so little), certainly not the literature that I am familiar with.

One thing, though, I can say positively. I happen to have a number of Russian friends, Russia's Russians. And I meet them from time to time. I came to recognize traits of what one could call a Russian soul, a particular variant of the Slavic soul. It is not my intention to enter into this at all. Well. those traits transpire in Anna Karenina, very clearly.
Spoiler:
In some Woody Allen movies also. One in particular.. The one in which he says that he is so good with sex because he practices a lot by himself.

About the sense of your question. If you transport in to American culture and literature you might wonder if reading a couple of books by Faulkner might do the same. He admired Anna Karenina.

A writer that let you see glimpses of what is Russia to day might be Cruz Smith with his Archady's novels. No culture or literature, but, not only he writes well, he understands the soul. Tolstoy's school.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:32 AM   #112
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
On the 20th May, a discussion thread will be open as a sticky in this forum - just like there is one at the moment for Hal Spacejock.

Regards
Caleb
Which I didn't get to, but still want to read.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #113
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Which I didn't get to, but still want to read.
It's no Anna Karenina - but I guess you know that.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 AM   #114
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
It's no Anna Karenina - but I guess you know that.

Yes.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #115
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The top 2 are tied, while some of the others make small gains...interesting...
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #116
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Beppe, thank you for that thoughtful comment.

I started reading it last night, but my eyestrain only let me read for a little while. It is 5400+ pages on my iPad with giant font. But the book that I finished yesterday was 4000+, so that is not as daunting as you guys lead me to think it would be.

I am going into this thing expecting to read a good book. If I find something deeper, then that will be a bonus. I am very intimidated by Russian lit, so reading and internalizing this is a personal challenge.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #117
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The top 2 are tied, while some of the others make small gains...interesting...
And still a few days left until voting closes. Is it my imagination, or is Book Club getting better every month?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #118
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
And still a few days left until voting closes. Is it my imagination, or is Book Club getting better every month?
Yes. So if it comes to it, who is the tie breaker? Or do we then have a one week run -off?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #119
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Help us choose a book as the May 2011 eBook for the Mobile Read Book Club. The poll will be open for 5 days. We will start the discussion thread for this book on May 20th.

As usual I will not vote unless the poll ends in a tie.
it'll be pilotbob with the tie breaker if it ends that way.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #120
DixieGal
Hi There!

Oops! I stand corrected. Thanks Sirak!