Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #106
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
However, in the case of the Android tablet, there hasn't been a compelling device at a reasonable price. The Samsung Galaxy Tab (which is a stellar device) was way overpriced and only useful for those that wanted the 7" form factor (so not really an ipad competitor).
Yes, that would be me!

And since I waited until the price dropped ($399 US with 3G but without contract), the overpriced part doesn't apply. I'm more than happy to pay for data, I just don't want to be locked in for two years.

Froyo does everything I want, so if I get HoneyComb; well, I'll have to see if I want the upgrade.

But the biggest point for me is that IT FITS IN MY POCKET! I’m still at a loss as to why it seems that everyone (most manufacturers) has bought into Jobs’ hype about 10” being the only viable form factor for a tablet. It’s just not true. Did I mention, it fits in my pocket?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #107
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
But the biggest point for me is that IT FITS IN MY POCKET! I’m still at a loss as to why it seems that everyone (most manufacturers) has bought into Jobs’ hype about 10” being the only viable form factor for a tablet. It’s just not true. Did I mention, it fits in my pocket?
I've owned six various tablets with 7" screens, none of which fit in my pocket. I even owned a Wits A81 which has a 7" screen and much smaller overall outer dimensions than the Galaxy tab... and it in no way fit comfortably in my pocket (it did squeeze in to a couple of pairs).

You must wear much larger pants than I do.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #108
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I normally wear dress trousers at work and cargo shorts otherwise. My SGT fits nicely in my left front trousers pocket (after re-allocating some of my junk to another pocket) and even better in my cargo pocket in my shorts. Plus the Gorilla Glass screen helps me to not worry about breaking it. I could see where tight jeans might be a problem.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #109
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Yes, that would be me!

And since I waited until the price dropped ($399 US with 3G but without contract), the overpriced part doesn't apply. I'm more than happy to pay for data, I just don't want to be locked in for two years.

Froyo does everything I want, so if I get HoneyComb; well, I'll have to see if I want the upgrade.

Hey, I'm not knocking the 7" tablet. I owned and enjoyed a rooted nook color for quite some time. I actually really like the Samsung Galaxy Tab, and might pick up the wifi only one some day (when I can afford it).

My point is that the 7" devices are in a different class, and also serve a different purpose than the larger ones. Portability vs. Screen real estate. It's like the netbook vs the laptop, each has its purpose. I also think that the 7" tablets should be cheaper than the bigger tablets. When the Galaxy Tab was $500 on contract, that was too much (although it did gradually come down). At $350, the wifi Galaxy Tab is reasonable compared to the $500 and up tablets. Compared with the $400 Asus, it starts to become a stretch. I think $300 would be the ideal price and a great value. With all of the recent competition, that may happen.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #110
wodin
Illiterate

Your quite righ Noah, I was just whining about there not being more high end seven inchers around. The Playbook would be interesting if it didn't tether to Crackberries (only).
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #111
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Quote:
So far based on recent reviews, the Asus eee Transformer, Acer Iconia, and T-mobile G-Slate (only if you need a 3G contract) are all better than the Xoom. Also, the promising Toshiba tablet is set to release soon.

If you are in the market for an Android tablet, I would suggest holding out for just a few more weeks!
I've been reading some reviews of the Acer. Seems it's big 'Ace' is the $450 price. Strangely, though having a metal body, it apparently has a cheap build quality (?), poor sporadic flash support (works sometimes, other times it stutters constantly) odd camera implementation and poor Honeycomb build. Otherwise, for the money, it might be the one to beat.

The Toshiba Regza (what's that?) has some great specs! Very promising. Lousy price (are the days passed when Apple was considered expensive?) Knock off 10 to 20% and you have a contender here.

We might be flooded with tablets that are rushed out the door in order to have something in the race, which sums up a couple reviews of the Acer.

Last edited by pphilipp; 04-20-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #112
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
I've been reading some reviews of the Acer. Seems it's big 'Ace' is the $450 price. Strangely, though having a metal body, it apparently has a cheap build quality (?), poor sporadic flash support (works sometimes, other times it stutters constantly) odd camera implementation and poor Honeycomb build. Otherwise, for the money, it might be the one to beat.

The Toshiba Regza (what's that?) has some great specs! Very promising. Lousy price (are the days passed when Apple was considered expensive?) Knock off 10 to 20% and you have a contender here.

We might be flooded with tablets that are rushed out the door in order to have something in the race, which sums up a couple reviews of the Acer.
This seems like a positive review of the Acer. They confirm that it is better than the Xoom.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/acer...ml?tag=rvwBody
Old 04-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #113
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
This seems like a positive review of the Acer. They confirm that it is better than the Xoom.

Sounds great!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #114
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Hey, I'm not knocking the 7" tablet. I owned and enjoyed a rooted nook color for quite some time. I actually really like the Samsung Galaxy Tab, and might pick up the wifi only one some day (when I can afford it).

My point is that the 7" devices are in a different class, and also serve a different purpose than the larger ones. Portability vs. Screen real estate. It's like the netbook vs the laptop, each has its purpose. I also think that the 7" tablets should be cheaper than the bigger tablets. When the Galaxy Tab was $500 on contract, that was too much (although it did gradually come down). At $350, the wifi Galaxy Tab is reasonable compared to the $500 and up tablets. Compared with the $400 Asus, it starts to become a stretch. I think $300 would be the ideal price and a great value. With all of the recent competition, that may happen.
Yeah, but good luck finding a $350 WiFi Galaxy Tab - it's vaporware like many of the others that are hyped - methinks each manufacturer is waiting for the other to ship - sort of testing the water. Even the much-hyped Xoom has many issues - Xoom over to Motorola support forums to read about them.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #115
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:

Hmmm, I read the review but can't find anything about it being better than a Xoom. They do confirm that it's priced much lower. (They also pinpoint some of the things which have irritated me about the OS.)
Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #116
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Yeah, but good luck finding a $350 WiFi Galaxy Tab - it's vaporware like many of the others that are hyped - methinks each manufacturer is waiting for the other to ship - sort of testing the water. Even the much-hyped Xoom has many issues - Xoom over to Motorola support forums to read about them.
I think its more to do with many companies coming out with unfinished devices that Google has put its foot down and says they have to get approval if they want to use Google services. So everyone is announcing devices but no actual releases
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #117
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
Hmmm, I read the review but can't find anything about it being better than a Xoom. They do confirm that it's priced much lower. (They also pinpoint some of the things which have irritated me about the OS.)
The headline on the homepage (right side) reads "Iconia tab beats Xoom, but ipad2?"

They don't repeat that in the article, although they do tout the specs and the price.

Last edited by Noah98; 04-20-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #118
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
I shop a lot on Amazon, and they list it as available and now shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-GT-P10...3354813&sr=8-2
Old 04-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #119
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I shop a lot on Amazon, and they list it as available and now shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-GT-P10...3354813&sr=8-2
Sort of:

In stock on April 23, 2011.

But: Powered by the Android operating system (version 2.2)
Old 04-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #120
kennyc

Quote:
The headline on the homepage (right side) reads "Iconia tab beats Xoom, but ipad2?"

They don't repeat that in the article, although they do tout the specs and the price.

And you believe everything you read, right?