Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #106
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And there are a lot of companies that'd kill for a "niche" product that sold over 7 million units in the last quarter alone... poor little Apple and their "niche"
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #107
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I don't believe in future 'cheap-eread only devices' remaining a niche product either
they 'll end up finally as schoolbook replacements. just as mid-class calculators i.e these ones which can do a slight bit more than basic functions and offer real fraction operations, etc but yet no graphs. how many people used them at school and needed them never again?

the same with future basic ereaders: when having the choice to buy such one for 100 or 50 bucks and load it with n PD books your kid 'll have as arecommended for the next year school reading, as opposed to buy said old stuff in paper (king lear for the english classes?) peopl 'll head for the cheap readers as they 'll pay back relatively quick.

Last edited by Freeshadow; 01-27-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: words swallowed *blush*
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #108
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVash View Post
Honestly Ive put some thought into this and wondered a few times if that is what publishers are trying to do. By gouging peoples eyes out with prices on ebooks they are insuring that no one buys them and sticks to paperback or hardcover.
The premise of your post is completely false. E-book sales tripled in 2010 and now account for 9% of the market. You, personally, may not like the prices, but ebooks are selling well, and the price does not appear to be much of a deterrent.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #109
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I don't know. I just think there aren't a lot of people who need tablets in the first place
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

-- Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

So I'll put my prediction against yours, and meet you back here in a decade or two. Winner buys the drinks.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #110
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
ANd I always liked "Six computers will be more than enough for the world" as well... ain't futurology wonderful... rather like the immense value of astrology...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

So I'll put my prediction against yours, and meet you back here in a decade or two. Winner buys the drinks.

ApK
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #111
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
These type of articles are good to start debate and discussion, but the conclusions are pretty much irrelevant (as there are so many good points being raised here, beyond the scope of the article).

My opinion is that ebook readers market is just getting warmed up. I do think the LCD based ereaders have a bigger buzz (Nook Color/iPad to some extent) because it is in color and people like color. But if you only want to read a novel, it is much better to stick with eInk/epaper tech. We all know color eink will be coming out soon and hopefully, be on par with color/contrast/refresh of LCD in a few years.

And I do agree that 3DTVs is a fad. It is another way for TV manufacturers to charge more money for pretty much the same tech. But I can't get too mad at it since it forced the non-3D HDTVs to drop.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #112
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:

ApK
Yes, yes...But that's the exception, not the rule. And the big difference is that PCs did something nothing else in their home could do. With iPod Touches, laptops, and netbooks, where's that thing that tablets can do that other appliances can't? The only unmet need I see is "looks cool".
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #113
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
And I do agree that 3DTVs is a fad. It is another way for TV manufacturers to charge more money for pretty much the same tech. But I can't get too mad at it since it forced the non-3D HDTVs to drop.
I don't think 3DTV is a fad. I think it's current implementation is transitory. Forcing users to wear those stupid glasses was never a good idea. The should've just waited for holographic displays. The Nintnedo 3Ds already has a non-glasses 3D display, and there were several examples at CES. Now, some of the stuff at CES turns out to be vaporware for one reason or another, but there's a chance that affordable 3DTV sans glasses will be out in a few years. Once that happens, I think it'll take off. If you can have 3D without the glasses, and it's affordable, why wouldn't you want it?

I think what's turning a lot of people off is the content. Movies right now are mostly using 3D as a cheap gimmick. But c'mon....Don't you want to see Shark Week in 3D? Hell, I think it'd be great to watch an episode of "The Universe" in 3D.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #114
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Yes, yes...But that's the exception, not the rule. And the big difference is that PCs did something nothing else in their home could do. With iPod Touches, laptops, and netbooks, where's that thing that tablets can do that other appliances can't? The only unmet need I see is "looks cool".
Why have a cell phone? Portability, of course. Duh.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #115
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So the bet is on, then....I take my Dr. Pepper on the rocks.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #116
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Those fark.com guys are really really good with Photoshop
Doh!
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #117
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
CNET has also claimed that facebook would be shut down a few years ago, that the Beatles would never come to itunes, they claimed strict DRM would take over ALL digital media by 2010, they said plasma would be the largest TV type by 2010, they said HD-DVD would kill bluray quickly... and so on down the line... this is part f the reason I ignore "news" by CNET anymore.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #118
ApK

Being able to predict the future is a requirement for a news source?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #119
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Why have a cell phone? Portability, of course. Duh.
But notebooks and netbooks already have portability covered. In terms of sheer size, the iPad doesn't save you any size compared to a netbook. Unless you're talking about one of the smaller tablets (NC, Dell Streak, Galaxy Tab).
Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #120
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
So the bet is on, then....I take my Dr. Pepper on the rocks.
I'll take a Sprite, also on the rocks.